Archive for Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Mail complaint leads to seizure of marijuana, cash

September 11, 2012

A Lawrence man’s complaint about lost mail has led to a federal warrant and the seizure of $7,100 and 1.5 pounds of marijuana.

According to a civil lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Joseph Goode contacted postal authorities after a package he sent containing $10,000 allegedly never made it to its intended destination in California. Authorities determined Goode was sending the money to purchase drugs and, based on that information, executed a search warrant of his home at 838 E. 12th St. in April. That search netted 1.5 pounds of marijuana and $7,100 in cash, according to court documents.

The lawsuit filed Thursday seeks the forfeiture of the money that agents found in the home.

Goode has not been charged criminally in either federal court or in Douglas County.

Jim Cross, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom’s office, which filed the lawsuit, said he could not comment on or verify the existence of a criminal investigation involving Goode.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

patkindle 2 years, 8 months ago

probably not the brightest bulb, but what do you expect from a drug dealer , duh? do you suppose thats why the call it dope ??

LadyJ 2 years, 8 months ago

ROFL, this has to be one of those cuzins.

ksjayhawk74 2 years, 8 months ago

Sending $10,000 cash through the mail is a terrible idea.

Brian Thomas 2 years, 8 months ago

correct. Fed EX would have been a better choice

deec 2 years, 8 months ago

And in most of the country, the post office would actually complete the delivery to the destination address. Fedex is contracted with USPS to complete deliveries in areas where it isn't cost-effective for Fedex to run their own trucks. That includes most rural areas and small towns. I live about 40 miles from Lincoln. The local post office gets Fedex and UPS deliveries 6 days a week to take the last step.

paulveer 2 years, 8 months ago

Money (and job security) for the authorities: what the failed war on drugs is all about.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

Of course, the "authorities" are simply doing their job. The legislature is where the war on drugs will end.

patkindle 2 years, 8 months ago

my guess is the town dopers just think the clown should be fined 5 bucks for being stupid, and let him go back in bidness

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

There must be more to this story than has been told here. Otherwise, we can only conclude that any complaint about undelivered mail will result in postal/federal police invading and searching your house.

Bob Forer 2 years, 8 months ago

You need to read between the lines, Bozo.

He was probably stupid enough to tell the postal authorities that the package contained $10,000 cash. That raised a red flag. Postal authorities contacted local police in California who had intelligence that the delivery address was a known drug house. That intelligence alone may have not been enough to establish probable cause to obtain a search warrant, but when coupled with Goode's admission that he had mailed ten thousand cash, pushed the totality of information over the threshold for probable cause. California authorities then obtained a search warrant for the house, and found drugs, which then gave the Kansas authorities enough pc to obtain a warrant for Goode's residence.

John Hamm 2 years, 8 months ago

Actually that's pretty much how I believe it went down. When you file a claim for lost mail you must provide some information about the contents. $10K cash is enough to raise flags all through the system.....

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

But that's still pure conjecture, and there's nothing in the article upon which to base that conjecture.

patkindle 2 years, 8 months ago

Ok, everyone agrees this drug dealer is dumber than a box of rocks.. However, you as a learned individual feel comfortable, buying drugs from him that you are going To put into your body? So who is really the weakest link? Perhaps that will be how the war on drugs will really Be won… by you dopers poisoning yourselves and die by accident?

deec 2 years, 8 months ago

Marijuana has been widely used for about 50 years now in the U.S. When do you anticipate this spate of accidental deaths to commence?

geoismeo 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh yeah, pot kills so many people. Go have yourself some booze.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 8 months ago

O.K., I'll plead ignorance in this matter, but just last week there was an article about the negative effects of synthetic pot. Do smokers of pot know whether or not they are smoking the real thing of the synthetic stuff? Can the synthetic stuff be put into real pot to enhance the effect while lowering costs, but then increasing the chances the smoker will unknowingly use the synthetic stuff and put themselves at greater risk?

jonas_opines 2 years, 8 months ago

Having, in my past, dabbled in both the real stuff and the K2 synthetic when it first came out . . . yes, you can tell the difference. Before you even light it up. I doubt there's much in the way of cost savings, that would cause something like the scenario that you describe.

It's unfortunate that these conversations always seem to regress to two false, polarized statements, ie: "Yargh, debil weedz gonna poison all de dopers!" and the inevitable response "Yargh, potz got no harmful effects on anythingz!" Not that I'm accusing you of doing so. But neither are true.

Personally, I think it's shown to be a much safer drug, with a few more fringe benefits of self-regulated consumption, than alcohol is, and I suspect that it would continue to be the case even if it were legalized. But I've known too many pothead burnouts to believe that it has no extreme detrimental effect on everybody. Just less than booze.

moerockchalk 2 years, 8 months ago

It's all about moderation, as with anything. Too much of anything and usually it will start to take its toll. Though I do find it increasingly ignorant to not explore the possible benefits of this truly magnificent plant.

As with jhawkinsf, you have to be joking. Right? You can tell the difference and it's all about quality. Can you tell the difference between a KIA and a Vintage Bentley?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 8 months ago

I've never driven a KIA nor have I driven a Bentley. I know they look different, and I know they have different reputations. I know their prices are very different. To the best of my knowledge, I've never been inside either.

I've been around pot, though not for many years. I've been told the quality and price is very different than it was back in the day. To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen or been around the synthetic stuff. Sorry, I guess I'm living a sheltered existence.

classclown 2 years, 8 months ago

I find myself wondering if that $10,000 is sitting in a pile of mail in some mail carriers garage because (s)he ran out of time to finish the routes. Perhaps ironically because they (s)he was to stoned to do his/her job properly.

deec 2 years, 8 months ago

USPS has a zero tolerance policy to drug use. It is grounds for instant termination. Failing to protect the mail is a federal felony with imprisonment and I think a fine up to $250,000. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I doubt it is any more prevalent at USPS than at any other workplace.

Quitting your job in the middle of a shift is also a federal felony if you work for the post office.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

"Failing to protect the mail is a federal felony with imprisonment and I think a fine up to $250,000."

I should tell that to my mail carrier after finding one of my letters laying in the gutter yesterday.

deec 2 years, 8 months ago

Letters can stick together or slip out of the bag while withdrawing mail. You can call the post office and speak to the postmaster so they can remind the carrier to be more careful.

I'd guess it was an accident. That's different than the example of intentionally delaying the mail.

jonas_opines 2 years, 8 months ago

It's unfortunate that these conversations always seem to regress to two false, polarized statements, ie: "Yargh, debil weedz gonna poison all de dopers!" and the inevitable response "Yargh, potz got no harmful effects on anythingz!" Neither are true.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

Most people can use pot responsibly with minimal to no negative effects. But as you point out, just like any other drug, there are people who abuse it, to negative effect. But the negatives of abuse of pot are considerably less than of the abuse of alcohol, and legalizing pot wouldn't change that.