Archive for Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Lawrence police release recap of home burglary cases, seek public’s assistance

September 11, 2012

The Lawrence Police Department on Tuesday afternoon released a recap of a recent rise in home burglary cases and called on the public to help identify and locate several suspects.

According to the news release:

• 83 aggravated home burglaries have been reported in Lawrence between March 17 and Aug. 27 of this year.

• In only six cases was force used to gain entry into the home.

• In the majority of cases, the common factors in the burglaries are that “they occur during the late night or early morning hours when residents are asleep and entry is made through open garage doors, unlocked doors, or unlocked rear sliding glass doors.”

Arrests

Several arrests have been made in the cases, including:

William D. Washington III, 32: Arrested on June 9 and charged in three burglaries; two in the 3400 block of Augusta Drive and one in the 2100 block of Quail Creek Drive. Washington didn’t show for a court appearance and currently has a warrant out for his arrest.

Ronald Kenneth Brooks, 31: Charged with two home burglaries; one in the 300 block of Northwood Lane and another in the 300 block of Woodlawn Drive. He is scheduled for a November trial.

• Kristopher Pete McDonald, 37: Arrested for a July 21 burglary in the 3100 block of Tomahawk Drive. McDonald pleaded no contest to one count of burglary and is scheduled to be sentenced Friday.

Austin Lee Whitebird, 19: Arrested and charged in two home burglaries in the 1600 block of West 19th Terrace on Aug. 24. Whitebird is accused of entering two Lawrence homes and trying to assault two women as they slept in their beds. A preliminary hearing in the case is schedule Sept. 19.

Other suspects

In addition, an investigation into a July 19 home burglary in the 400 block of Vine Drive identified several suspects in numerous residential and vehicle burglaries. Those arrests included:

Ronnie Eugene Taylor, 18: Charged Monday with 11 total counts, including four home burglaries.

Markcus Trey Sanders, 18: Charged Sept. 4 in two July home burglaries in which Taylor is also charged.

Assistance sought

However, police have asked for the public’s help in locating the following suspect, who’s wanted in connection with some of the crimes Taylor and Sanders were charged with:

• Cody A. Barnes, 18, of Lawrence. If anyone has information, call CrimeStoppers at 843-8477. Callers may qualify for a $1,000 reward for assistance.

Police are attempting to identify a male and female suspect in reference to the following four home burglaries:

• April 1: 2800 block of Harrison Place.

• April 19: 900 block of Alabama Street.

• June 2: 400 block of John Doy Court.

• June 25: 300 block of Woodlawn Drive.

Surveillance photos from stores in which the suspects used credit cards stolen in the above crimes show an overweight black man and a black woman. Anyone with information about either of these suspects is asked to call Detective Mike Verbanac at 830-7440.

Comments

shaunepec 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm filling in til we get a crime reporter but im not familiar with that?

Erinn Barroso 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow. If I was your editor I would be livid with you right now. You are representing your employer, not commenting on a general forum in an anonymous manner. I would recommend using proper grammar in the future when you post in the comments section of a story you wrote. I've never seen a reporter at any paper respond in the comments this way, and as a former journalist, I feel sad for the profession.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 2 months ago

If you are a journalism professor, then you are qualified to make the observations you just made. If not, then perhaps it is perfectly acceptable in an open forum to play loose with grammatical rules. So, are you a journalism professor or a fussbudget?

Erinn Barroso 2 years, 2 months ago

Not a fussbudget or professor, but I have been a boss and if one of my employees did something similar, they would receive a talking to. I don't give a rat's behind about general users writing in any which manner on this forum, but as a reader, I DO expect professionalism from those who work for the organization. Typically, from what I have seen written by Journal-World staff addressing comments, the staff retain the same tone and grammar as was used it the article.

Topple 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow....I would recommend a visit to a proctologist as soon as possible to remove whatever has been forcibly inserted.

shaunepec 2 years, 2 months ago

You probably have a point there, to some degree. But I suppose we sometimes value responding to a reader question quickly. And sometimes that means doing so in a hurry on smart phone. I've found that readers appreciate my jumping in from time to time. Rarely do they seem upset with the grammar in a less formal forum.

Erinn Barroso 2 years, 2 months ago

Is it just me, or does the woman look like the man with women's clothing on? It even looks like she has a 5'oclock shadow

LadyJ 2 years, 2 months ago

I third that. I appreciate it when writer acknowledges our comments or questions on occasion. It is a real treat also to see a comment pop up from JK or Winifred, or is it Whitney?

shaunepec 2 years, 2 months ago

Appreciate the support. We'll a little tight right now. Makes for some busy days and keeps me out of trouble.

Reuben Turner 2 years, 2 months ago

well i be... i hope all these criminals get the time they deserve...

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 2 months ago

Aggravated burglary is a very serious crime. The police in these cases did fine work in apprehending the criminals so far. It is a wonder to me that someone has not been killed, either a victim or criminal. I cannot believe how stupid people are for not locking every door in their home, and leaving outdoor lights either on, or on infrared sensors. What we do: We have a state of the art burglar alarm system by a company in Lawrence that knows their stuff, I helped them design it. We have deadbolt locks on all exterior doors, with peepholes. We have plenty of outdoor lighting, criminals hate light when they try and steal or break in at night. We have a big dog that never misses anyone or anything outside. We live in the county, but city dwellers can and should use some or all of these ideas to keep people out of your home while you sleep, and when you are away at work. If you are awakened by a person in your home at night, they might just panic at being seen and shoot you. Think about it.

KevinRaposo 2 years, 2 months ago

If it's OK with the community here, I would like to share an article that readers might find helpful on how to better protect your home from a burglar:

A Burglar Reveals the 4 Tips for Home Protection

Feel free to share or re-post!

Topple 2 years, 2 months ago

Might be helpful to know where they shopped in those pictures. I wouldn't call them smart, but they probably know they'll be on camera after using the stolen cards, and won't be shopping there again anytime soon. So I'd say it's possible they don't live near wherever they were shopping. I'm going to go out on a limb and say 6th & Wakarusa Wal-Mart.