Archive for Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Entrepreneurship is focus of free seminar

September 4, 2012

The Kansas University Small Business Development Center will host a free seminar Monday, Sept. 4, for start-up and early-stage entrepreneurs.

The “Yin and Yang of Entrepreneurship” will be presented 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the center, 646 Vt., Suite 200. Preregister by calling 843-8844 or sign up for the event at www.facebook.com/kuksbdc.

The seminar will focus on a number of topics, including permits and licenses, funding, taxes, marketing and writing a business plan.

Comments

jhawkinsf 1 year, 11 months ago

I hope every single person who is unemployed or underemployed attends. I hope everyone who complains about unemployment or underemployment attends. I hope all the advocates for the unemployed or underemployed attends. Entrepreneurship is a too much neglected part of the equation.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

Will you be there handing out the startup capital for all these budding entrepreneurs? Will you be financing the line of credit that will get them thru the first couple of years in which most new businesses make no money at all?

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not in that business. However I can say that having started several businesses, it's a difficult, yet rewarding journey. I would encourage others to go that route.

Or they can sit at home and gripe about how unfair the world is and when they're through with that, do it again. We all have choices.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

Sure, it's great for those who can to start a business. But that doesn't change the fact that starting a small business is not an option for the vast majority of the unemployed/underemployed. It's simply not a choice, no matter how many times you want to assert that it is.

For it to become a real option for a significant number of people would require changing the way this society works, starting with the availability of startup/operating capital. Implementing a single payer/Medicare-for-all plan would make a significant difference, too.

Bottom line is that the support for small business, particularly from Republicans, is nothing but empty rhetoric.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

Let's be honest, Bozo. You and I have clashed many times on a wide variety of topics. I suspect you have little respect for me or my opinions. Given that, on the back of your tongue must be the words, "if that fool can do it, anyone can". Of course, should you utter those words, you'd have to admit that some of your preconceived notions are wrong. Tough spot for you to be in.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, that's quite a chip you have on your shoulder.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

The burden on your shoulders, Bozo, is a set of beliefs that are so intractable, that there is no way you could ever change your mind, about anything, ever.

If you would be so kind to share, I would be interested in what level of experience you have with entrepreneurship?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

So, you've given up discussing the subject of entrepreneurship, and in desperation you're trying to make this an argument about me.

Sorry, not going there.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

Translation: I have no experience whatsoever, therefore I going to my default position of relying on my preconceived notions. That way I don't have to think. That way, I don't have to challenge myself.

BTW - I didn't try to make this argument about you. You did that when you asked if "I" would be there to give out loans, or if "I" would be there with lines of credit. You make it personal and then complain that it's the other person making things personal. Nice try.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

I was not making it personal. I was making the point that neither you nor anyone else is out there ready make the necessary capital available to the the vast number of unemployed/underemployed.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

But my asking if you have any real world experience is "making it about you". No, it's asking if you have knowledge, if you have any expertise. No more than if someone gives a legal opinion, asking if they are an attorney. No more than if someone gives a medical opinion asking if they are a doctor, nurse, or some other professional. Asking if you have any experience is simply asking if you have any experience.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, I have considerable experience. Enough to know that there are many pitfalls to opening a business that can't all be overcome by sheer willpower.

Most businesses that fail (and most new businesses do fail) do so simply because they don't have sufficient capital to get them through the first couple of years. There's also the factor of luck-- and not necessarily good luck (which helps,) but the absence of bad luck. All it takes is one bad incident of one sort or another (thru no fault of the business owner) to send a barely surviving business over the edge before they can firmly establish themselves. Any business that starts out with minimal capital and eventually succeeds has almost certainly avoided such incidents.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

You see, there are things we can agree on. Of course there are pitfalls, many of them. More than relying on someone else to create a job for you??? More than hoping that someone doesn't act in their own best interests and keep your job low paying??? With few benefits??? Hoping he doesn't move that job to some foreign land???

Every strategy has pitfalls. Look at my first post, the one that started your string of objections. I said entrepreneurship is a neglected past of the equation. It's a part. A neglected part. There must be 100 articles about the government creating jobs for every article about entrepreneurship. Another 100 articles about "big business" creating jobs, then one article about creating your own job. And another 100 articles about jobs that have been created but they don't pay a living wage, or provide benefits, or aren't satisfying, or are being moved out of country, or to a right to work state, or, or, or. (Make your list of many gripes), and then one article about starting your own business.

I said we have a choice. I believe that. You can pick your poison of starting your own job, even with the pitfalls. Or you can pick your poison of relying on someone else to provide a job for you. Or you can pick your poison of remaining unemployed/underemployed. There has never been a guarantee in life. And never will be. But I'd certainly rather be in control of my own destiny than put it in the hands of others and hope they behave in my best interests.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

The difference to me is that you're arguing the myth of entrepreneurship in this culture and economy, which is actually quite unfriendly to such endeavors, and I'm pointing out the realities.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

You're arguing the myth with someone who has lived the reality.

Let me ask you something, Bozo. Suppose you worked in a factory, making widgets. Is that job "yours"? Or does it belong to the factory owner and you occupy it, in exchange for an agreed upon wage, but for only as long as he pleases? The reality is, and I'd like to emphasize reality, is that it belongs to him. Unless your compensation is huge, then you're giving up too much, in my opinion. I'd rather earn less, or more, on my own terms. But you're free to make other choices. Any choice you choose. But if I run my business into the ground because I make bad decisions, I won't run to you, seeking relief. And should someone choose to make widgets for a living, but that factory moves to China, will you come running to me, seeking relief?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm really not interested in your hypotheticals. I've got plenty to do just dealing with the realities of being self-employed (which is what I've been for most of the last 25 or more years.)

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

You don't like my hypotheticals, because they raise questions you'd rather not ask or answer. But if McCain were president, that one you're willing to ask and answer. Got it.

Ralph Reed 1 year, 10 months ago

Regardless of the date, the seminar last night was very interesting. A lot of good information. We really enjoyed it.