From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Sept. 3, 1987:
A pioneering radio station was shut down this week after succumbing to financial difficulties. WREN-AM of Topeka had broadcast from Lawrence for more than 20 years before moving to the capital in 1947. At 1250 on the AM dial, WREN had first gone on the air in 1926 from studios in the Bowersock Mills & Power Co., which was then manufacturing flour and other products. The station had taken its call letters from the mill's Jenny Wren brand of flour; the first transmitter had been in a mill storeroom and its microphone perched atop a stack of flour sacks. The year 1933 had brought a move for the studios to what was then the old YMCA building at Eighth and Vermont, where they had remained until the station was sold and moved to Topeka in 1947. Lawrence had then gone without a commercial radio station until 1951, when Arden Booth had founded KLWN-AM radio.