Opinion

Opinion

Obama shows hostility to business

September 2, 2012

From time to time in my county wanderings, I’ve stopped for a pulled pork sandwich at an imitation caboose in a shopping center parking lot. Nearby, is a miniature trolley car where I’ve sometimes ordered an espresso. Whenever I visit these modest establishments, I’m overcome with admiration. Someone may have risked his life’s savings to pursue the dream of going into business for himself. The proprietors have to be accountants, salesmen, servers, employers, janitors. Small businesses such as these are the chief creators of jobs in America.

Are these the kind of people Barack Obama had in mind when he unleashed his “You didn’t build that” diatribe? It wasn’t a gaffe. It was a passionate, spontaneous expression of his scorn for free enterprise and individual initiative. And it wasn’t so much the content as the tone that was so shocking — angry, accusatory, resentful. He couldn’t resist mocking successful people who think they’re “just so smart” — this from a man who must always feel that he’s the smartest person in the room. The idea that someone might make it on his own is an offense to his ideology.

Not that it should have surprised anyone. According to David Maraniss in his biography “Barack Obama: The Story,” the president told his mother that his experience at Business International was like “working for the enemy,” and in his own memoir, “Dreams from my Father,” he referred to the same stint as being “Like a spy behind enemy lines.” He’s of the mindset that believes people get rich simply by taking more than their share. In his view, it’s the job of government to erect barriers so they can’t steal more. He talks about “spreading the wealth,” but hasn’t voiced a single idea for how to grow the wealth, other than more government spending. Hiring more bureaucrats is one of his bright ideas for stimulating the economy.

The president paid lip service to “this wonderful system” we have, but here again he showed his fundamental misunderstanding of the American economy. It’s not a “system” we have. It’s the opposite – a decentralized market energized by millions of enterprising individuals, a dynamo powered by trail and error, success and failure. A system is what people like Obama dream of — a centrally controlled, top-down economy, with resources allocated and economic decisions dictated by the government.

Obama’s screed was a haymaker delivered to a colossal straw man, as someone pointed out. No rational person disputes the fact that we need government and that government does many things that the private sector can’t do. No one denies the virtues of “people working together” or the importance of roads, bridges and teachers. But in Obama’s view, these factors are the primary causes of individual success. No one disputes the fact that the top earners ought to pay taxes. In fact, they pay the lion’s share.

Obama creates a phony and toxic argument by casting government and the private sector as antagonists. They should compliment each other and do what they do best. Unfortunately, today they’re either at each other’s throats or in bed together. Obama ought to be cheering for the top earners to succeed, since they provide the funds which permit him to pander to various interest groups for votes. But apparently it’s impossible for him to express any admiration for American business persons. Vultures? Predators? Does Obama’s list of enemies include people like George Foreman, who after a stellar career in boxing, made a barbecue equipment fortune, which he’s busy giving away?

It’s astonishing that we have a president who’s so hostile to the ideals that have inspired America’s greatness. And yet, in spite of his failed economic policies, at least half the country seems ready to vote him another four years. The only explanation has to be that many of us have bought into the illusion that the government is a generous uncle who distributes benefits cost-free and that Obama will protect these benefits. It doesn’t seem to matter that they’re being financed by borrowed money – a form of fiscal suicide. Most of us are unwilling to give up an iota of our entitlements even to secure their sustainability, even if it means long term national decline. Americans used to celebrate liberty and opportunity. Now it’s, “Don’t touch my benefits,” and “Take care of me.”

— George Gurley, a resident of rural Baldwin City, writes a regular column for the Journal-World.

Comments

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

Jafs, I don't know what the percentage would be without the deduction, but I do think a 15 to 18% tax rate would be fair. $10k is a small profit given the numbers, but it is just the reality of owning a small business. Sometimes I get a paycheck for the month, and sometimes I do not. Everyone else gets paid before I do. Taxes, interest payments, employees salaries, etc. My income for the year is just enough to claim status as a proud member of the middle class. Its been nice chatting with you.

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

OK jafs here they are. I have rounded the numbers for ease of calculation. On income of $315,000.00 (total sales less cost of goods) minus allowable deductions such as wages, rent, contributions, taxes, etc. etc. of $305,000.00 the taxable income for the company was $10,000.00. I paid $1,500.00 in federal taxes. If my math is correct that would be 15%. If I had not used the deduction for investments in capital equipment, my tax liability would have been $22,000.00. I will let you be the judge if anything seems to be unethical, illegal, immoral, or un-American. I know one thing, if I decide to run for President it sure is not going to read well to the American voter.

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

Jafs I am not sure why the percentage is important to you, but I would be more than happy to provide that if you would like to know. I am at home right now and do not have it at hand, but I can tell you that the tax return for my small business was 25 pages long and cost $1,000.00 to pay the account to file. Why do we need Romney's tax returns? We all know what they will reveal. That he paid a lower percentage of taxes than the average middle class worker. And why does the oposition want them to know that? Because they believe they will be outraged enough not to vote for him. In my case, shoud I choose to run for president someday, the headline will be, " Mr Goose made $$$$$$$ and did not pay one cent of income tax, with no explanation as to why. It's the tax codes people. Mr Romney didn't write them, I didn't write them we, just followed them. I will check here tomorrow night, if you leave me a post indicating your need to know the number. I will give it to you.

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

JAFS Un bristle. I mean you no harm. While poking at you for what I consider logical inconsistencies and factual misunderstandings, I ultimately recognize that you really believe what you write. We, therefore, have a fundamental disagreement as to how our society is supposed to operate. I am not going to change your mind and you will not change mine.

I believe the last two weeks have laid the argument clear. We shall push on toward November where we will not settle it. From there on it will be miserable.
Frankly, I find it fascinating that we continue to argue. I am not going to willingly pay more taxes as I feel I pay enough and am increasingly angry with deceptive arguments about “tax cuts” and “disregard for the poor”. Apparently you want more taxes for a whole lot of things and are unwilling to quantify how much and by whom. The only way this will ultimately be resolved is through force.

Have a nice day!

jafs 1 year, 7 months ago

Against my better judgement, I will share the following:

I am on no government benefits, and receive no government assistance. We pay taxes, and don't complain about them, even though much of them goes towards things that we don't benefit from, and some towards things we disagree with, like many of our wars/military actions.

It's always fascinating to me that so many of the anti-government folks are in fact living on government money in a variety of ways, and/or working for the government. Strange cognitive dissonance there, I'd say.

Also, I've paid far more in insurance premiums than I've used in benefits.

So, despite your best efforts, you can't dismiss me as a "moocher", or somebody who votes to get themselves "goodies" - I'm sure that's frustrating for you.

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

JAFS how much did you make last year and how much tax did you pay? What government benefits do you receive. If we are going to chase personal information with malicious intent let us start with you.

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

The point I was trying to make was that no matter what Romney's tax returns might reveal I have to think that there was probably nothing illegal to be found. With his kind of BANK, I would belive that he had a whole building filled with accountants and attorneys to make sure that he is in compliance with all US tax laws. In my case it was just me, myself and I who was able to take advantage of this one specific law in the tax code. The point is, you don't want Romney or me to take advantage, then change the friggen tax laws.
As to your question Jafs, I have seen your posts often enough in this forum to know that you can do the math on the difference between the tax liability of a sub-chapter "'S" corporation vs individual income. If not you will most likely look it up. Thanks for the feedback. It was refreshing to see that those of you who responded did not attempt to "KILL" the messenger but instead addressed my comments directly, unlike many responses I see on this website.

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

And oh by the way the proposed tax increase probably will not lead to more taxes in this situation

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

As a business owner, I am perfectly happy to release a summary of my fiscal 2011-2012 tax return. After paying property taxes, personal income taxes, social security taxes, medicare taxes, vehicle taxes, fuel taxes, utility taxes, state and local taxes, the company was fortunately able to show a profit for the year, resulting in a federal tax liability of $22,000. Since the tax code currently allows for a deduction of up to $65,000 for investment in capital equipment purchased during the fiscal business year, I had a choice to make. Do I send the money to Washington so the the GSA can have another wild multi- million dollar party, or do I invest that money in a new piece of equipment to impove the the productivity and efficiency of my company. What to do, What to do. What would you do? Did I take advantage of a tax loophole? Did I game the system? Was it corporate welfare? Did I steal from the poor? OMG what have I done? Romney"s tax returns may look unfair to the average worker, but I can assure you that anything thay might reveal is well within the Law. If not, he would be in jail and not running for President of the USA. Believe me the IRS has checked him out.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Romney is only hurting himself by not releasing his tax records.

He is already perceived to be a secretive, inscrutable person. This just makes him look hostile to transparency in government.

Romney won't talk about his time at Bain Capital, his mormon religion, or his taxes. He hopes his lack of transparency will be overlooked by his attack lies on Obama, but people see through it.

Romney has a transparency problem with voters.

tbaker 1 year, 7 months ago

Moderate: “It is my contention that the only way we can pay for that is to soak the upper half of the middle class because they are the group paying the taxes now. No rationale increase on the wealthy would cover an increase so large.”

Spot on.

The tax year of 2008 was the last to date that the IRS has done this kind of analysis. In 2008 the highest marginal tax rate of 35% applied to all AGI above $357,700.00. In that year the total amount of AGI subject to the highest rate was $622.8 Billion. The government collected in taxes $218.0 Billion (35%).

In 2011 the annual budget deficit was nearly $1.665 trillion and in 2012 it is $1.1 trillion. If the democrats succeed in raising the highest marginal rate, how much more would Washington D.C. receive, assuming no change in behavior and a general eagerness to pay more?

If the highest rate of 35% were raised by a factor of 20% to 42%, then the additional tax revenue would be $43.5 Billion (not much of a dent in $1.665 trillion deficit)

So, let's raise the rate by a factor of 50% to 52.5%; the additional revenue would be $108.9 Billion. Still nowhere near enough.

So let's just tax the evil rich at 100% and take everything they make. This brings in $404.8 Billion. Unfortunately the country is still $695 billion in the hole for the year.

Short of a booming economy with historic growth rates generating a tsunami of tax revenue, reducing government spending is the only way to stop the deficit spending / additional national debt. Social Security and MEDICARE are two biggest drivers of the deficit. They have to be reformed or none of this changes. People have to be weaned off government and empowered to take care of themselves or our country will go bankrupt. That’s not my assertion - it’s just the tyranny of simple math there for anyone to see.

Windemere 1 year, 7 months ago

Correct. "Leaders" from both parties screwed us by over-promising, over-spending and refusing to make the Fed govt spend within its means. The citizenry screwed up by continuing to elect pols who told them what they wanted to hear -- I can give you free stuff you "need" or "deserve." While not all voters are super-savvy, they are adults who knew or should have known that some day the bleep would hit the fan and the unsustainable programs would collapse. Sadly, many people do not seem bothered by the notion of passing down the mess to their children and grandchildren. Just give me my goodies. People under the age of about 55 are going to suffer. Every person should be saving part of their income assuming there will be no SS or Medicaid when they retire. Socking the "rich" won't make a real dent. We do not have the money. We have borrowed up to our eyeballs.

jafs 1 year, 7 months ago

The fact that we're currently spending 23% of GDP doesn't equate to somebody "demanding" that we do that.

It's a bit high, historically speaking, but part of the reason is that the economy sucks, so that when GDP isn't great, spending shows up as a greater percentage of it, even if spending has remained constant.

Tax revenues are down, historically speaking, as well. Last time I looked, they were about 14% of GDP. When the budget was balanced, we had both tax revenue and spending at about 18% of GDP. So, tax revenue is 4% lower, and spending is 5% higher - roughly an equivalent figure.

The only obvious solution is higher tax revenues combined with lower spending, and a healthy GDP.

Why aren't we doing that? Because there is a strong R contingent that is ideologically and stubbornly opposed to any tax increases, and nobody can agree on which spending to cut. D would cut defense, while R want to cut Medicare/SS/Social programs, and each is opposed to the other's proposed cuts.

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

JAFS

WE are not impacted by any announced tax increase at the federal level. The proposed Republican approach may impact us negatively depending how they handle deduction. Since I shared would you – would you be impacted by the end of the Bush Tax cuts or is your family mostly protected as discussed below.

We are 1 trillion out of balance on our annual federal budget. Many Democrats call for 23 to 25% of GDP to government. It is my contention that the only way we can pay for that is to soak the upper half of the middle class because they are the group paying the taxes now. No rationale increase on the wealthy would cover an increase so large.

It is also my contention that as far as the upper half of the middle class there is no such thing as a “Bush Tax Cut”. Their current tax rates are in excess of what they were paying pre-Reagan tax cuts when they had access to more deductions. Your argument to end the “Bush Tax Cuts” totally disregards this fact. While presumable ending those cuts would also increases taxes on the lower half of the middle class in fact the expansion of deductions since Reagan means that group (near 50% paying little or no federal income tax) for the most part will see no increase.

It is also my contention that the ACA is an exemplar for all future broad based entitlements where they will be heavily means tested. Note that part of the rational for the $ 600 billion in cuts to Medicare is a change in the means te4sting formula. This type of means testing on broad based national programs will impact the upper half of the middle class significantly. IN fact if care is not taken there will no longer be a rational to make more than about $50K as the government in one form or another will take it all. Only the really rich (>.1M) will still have incentive to achieve that level of income.

In short through tax and entitlement policy it is apparently the goal of the Obama administration to redistribute income from the upper half of the middle class to the lower half of the middle class.

If you do not agree pray tell where is the money coming from for all these things?

grooveto 1 year, 7 months ago

Sickening lies and I'm ashamed that the Lawrence Journal world would publish the articles written by this man.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 7 months ago

George this is one of the best op-ed pieces I've ever read on Obama. Well done! When you add America hater Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor for 20 years, to the discussion it's even worse. Hopefully Obama's own words will be his undoing in November. Romney-Ryan 2012.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 7 months ago

As if this bailout doesn't sound crooked enough, Bain is now under investigation for tax evasion. Via Think Progress: http://occupyamerica.crooksandliars.com/diane-sweet/mitt-romneys-federal-bailout-bain-inve

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Until Romney releases his returns, we will not know how much he paid if anything at all.

He certainly pays a lower rate, and it is unclear if he paid any at all.

This is important because it speaks to his experiences and how they have influenced his policies. Just ask Romney's dad.

Oh, and then there is the lack if transparency thing...

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

Why would you completely fabricate a comment and the assign it to someone else and then open a discussion on why in the world would someone say something they never even said. Seems pretty pointless to me. Couldn't you just have that discussion with yourself.

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

I could care less about Romney's tax returns, just as I could care less about Obama's "You didn't build it" comment. I don't know how much he paid, but I am sure it is a safe bet to say that it was more than everyone put together in this forum will pay in a lifetime.
If we want to reverse the debt clock, we should be spending more time working on getting the 23 million unemployed Americans off of the unemployment rolls and onto the tax rolls. Rich people aren't the problem, people who want a job and can't get one are the problem.

commonsenseanyone 1 year, 7 months ago

Merrill, seriously.... Step away from the computer.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

We all know Romney is a rich guy who pays a lower rate of federal tax than most Americans.

We know this.

Why won't he release his tax returns? What does he not want the American people to know about his taxes over the last 12 years?

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

JAFS et al

Rational = thoughtful, receptive, coherent, systemic, etc.

Tomato provided a rational response to the article. About half the responses here just make a statement that Mr. Obama is not anti business, A significant proportion of the others attack business and leave the reader to assume the poster agrees with the Obama position inferred by Mr. Gurley.

Many simply deny the opinion of Mr. Gurley and a few others as to where Mr. Obama stands on business with no logical support whatever. And yes, I do not consider it a rational explanation that those who hold Mr. Gurley’s opinion are biased, etc.

After all, this is all opinion. However, since I do not know Mr. Obama personally and never will I have to base my opinion on the totality of information that he or his henchmen have provided. I listed two other issue that help support my opinion and am certain I can find many more but doing so is a waste of time as it is clear that the bias on here is for Mr. Obama.

As to the tax increase the proposed tax on income over $250K hits small businesses where the business tax return is also the individual tax return. Is such a person rich?? That is in the eye of the beholder but apparently Mr. Obama believes so.

camper 1 year, 7 months ago

President Obama negotiated a payroll tax reduction when he extended the Bush tax cuts in 2010. Hostile? The stimulus, no matter how flawed, helped small business and suppliers. Hostile? The Auto bailout helped dealerships and suppliers. The extension of unemployment benefits helped small business because it is helping many pay their monthly bills and patronize small business locally.

The President has also voiced enthusiasm for renewable energy initiatives, for repairing our infrastructure which is good for local and national mfg. This does not seem hostile to small business.

The only thing I saw, that I might take exception to is the penalty for employers with > 50 employees who do not offer a health plan. I am not quite in agreement on this, but still do not consider it hostile considering the credits small employers will also receive.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 7 months ago

After repeatedly touting his business experience as an asset towards reviving the U.S. economy, Mitt Romney has been put on the defensive by Bain Capital workers who are fighting back against the outsourcing of their jobs.

One hundred seventy workers at a Sensata Technologies plant in Freeport, Illinois — of which Bain is the majority owner — are calling on Romney to help save their jobs from being shipped to China. http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/28/workers_at_bain_owned_illinois_factory

Meanwhile think about this.

A new article by reporter Matt Taibbi in Rolling Stone sheds new light on the origin of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s fortune, revealing how Romney’s former firm, Bain Capital, used private equity to raise money to conduct corporate raids.

Taibbi writes: "What most voters don’t know is the way Mitt Romney actually made his fortune: by borrowing vast sums of money that other people were forced to pay back.

This is the plain, stark reality that has somehow eluded America’s top political journalists for two consecutive presidential campaigns: Mitt Romney is one of the greatest and most irresponsible debt creators of all time.

In the past few decades, in fact, Romney has piled more debt onto more unsuspecting companies, written more gigantic checks that other people have to cover, than perhaps all but a handful of people on planet Earth.

MATT TAIBBI: Well, you know, for me, it started when I had to cover this campaign earlier this year, and I was listening to Romney’s stump speech about debt. You know, he came up with this whole image of a prairie fire of debt raging across America that was literally going to burn children alive in the future.

And I kept thinking to myself, does nobody know what this guy did for a living and how he made his money? You know, Mitt Romney is unabashedly a leverage buyout artist. And a leverage buyout artist is a guy who borrows lots of money that other companies have to pay back. And that’s the simple formula.

He started out—his most famous deals, of course, are essentially venture capital deals like the Staples situation, where he built a company from the ground up.

But after Staples, he switched to a different model, that he preferred for the rest of his professional career, in which he took over existing companies by putting down small amounts of his own cash, borrowing the rest from—typically from a giant investment bank, taking over controlling stakes in companies, and then forcing those companies to pay him either through management fees or through dividends.

And that’s his business formula.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

The American people are still waiting to see Romney's tax returns. Maybe then we could see how unfriendly Obama has been to business.

Prove it, Mitt. Release your tax returns and prove to us how unfriendly Obama has been to business.

What is Romney hiding in those tax returns?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 7 months ago

Any man who picks Ryan as a VP says a lot about himself and both individuals are unfriendly to business.

No one should discount the potential destructiveness of a victory for Mitt Romney. The widespread media assumption that he’s really a “Massachusetts moderate” who adopted extreme positions to placate the Republican electorate before resetting his Etch A Sketch would be irrelevant even if it were true.

A Romney victory could be accompanied by GOP control of all branches of government, with the party’s right-wing majority in the House driving the agenda.

As Grover Norquist argues, “We are not auditioning for fearless leader…. We just need a president to sign this stuff.”

Richard Heckler 1 year, 7 months ago

There are no organizations more unfriendly to business than our local chamber,our state Chamber and National Chambers of Commerce. Because they support and subscribe to the following that which destroys economies thus job markets and removes millions upon millions upon millions from the world of white and blue collar employment.

These high dollar ENTITLEMENTS that rip the country apart had their birth in the early years of Ronald Reagan/GHW Bush. Frankly Mr Gurley this nation cannot afford this group that is posing as the GOP.

How can any business afford this reckless nonsense? Republicans cost the USA too much money!

Republican run a DEFICIT EXPANDING PLATFORM 24/7.

This ENTITLEMENT - TABOR is Coming by Grover Norquist = Grab Your Wallets! http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2005/0705rebne.html

This ENTITLEMENT - Bailing out The Reagan/Bush Savings and Loan Heist aka home loan scandal sent the economy out the window costing taxpayers many many $$ trillions (Cost taxpayers $1.4 trillion), Plus millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com/war/bush_family_and_the_s.htm

This ENTITLEMENT Bailing out the Bush/Cheney Home Loan Wall Street Bank Fraud cost consumers $ trillions, millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. Exactly like the Reagan/Bush home loan scam. Déjà vu can we say. Yep seems to be a pattern. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

This ENTITLEMENT - Bush/Cheney implied many financial institutions were at risk instead of only 3? One of the biggest lies perpetrated to American citizens. Where did this money go? Why were some banks forced to take bail out money? http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

RECKLESS Tax cuts = THE ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy which do nothing to make an economy strong or produce jobs. Tax cuts are a tax increase to others in order to make up the loss in revenue = duped again. Bush Tax Cuts aka

THE ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy at the expense of the middle class = duped one more time. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2001/0301miller.html

Windemere 1 year, 7 months ago

This resonates from George's editorial: "...many of us have bought into the illusion that the government is a generous uncle who distributes benefits cost-free and that Obama will protect these benefits. It doesn’t seem to matter that they’re being financed by borrowed money – a form of fiscal suicide. Most of us are unwilling to give up an iota of our entitlements even to secure their sustainability, even if it means long term national decline."

Both Dems and Reps are at fault for the mess we are in, both have over-promised, over-spent, conned the American people and shamelessly bought votes with pledges to spend on goodies/freebies. A promising start to tackling the problem was Simpson-Bowles. Both sides made sure that it would go nowhere. Until changes are made in entitlements and taxation, we will not save the nation from a certain horrible financial mess (far more damaging than today's mess). We have to trim entitlements (SS and Medicare/Medicaid/CHIP, which, together are about 40% of the Fed budget). We need tax reform and an end to corporate welfare. (But soaking the "rich" won't begin to solve the problem -- the problem is just too big). Yes, maybe some cuts to defense, but to my mind, that's the #1 job of the Fed govt and the world is a dangerous place. Simply, we need to be adults, take our medicine, make the hard decisions, enact reforms that will help prevent future pols from screwing us over again and stop spending beyond our means. To a great degree, George is right. He's just saying what a lot of people don't want to hear.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

It is sad that the GOP must resort to out of context remarks to attack Obama.

We all know Obama was talking about the roads and bridges and police and fire and education that allow businesses in this country to thrive.

Sad and embarrassing. Once there were "birthers", now there are "builders".

Liberal 1 year, 7 months ago

You are not rational if you believe that Obama, Pelosi and Reid are bad for the country. They believe in free speech as long as it is speech that does not offend them. They believe in choice as long as that choice is abortion.

If you disagree in anyway they will set out to destroy you.

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

Moderate returns, twice asserting...

"... all rational posters have been driven from the board....."

"As I said rational people have been driven from the field...."

What are you trying to tell us...?

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

As I said rational people have been driven from the field. The only thing you are allowed to believe is that Mr. Obama is not anti-business. Don't listen to what he says. Don't listen to what he said to "joe" the plumber. Do not notice that the tax increase he proposes falls heavily on small business owners.

He loves small business - that is why his hoard has increased regulations on business by as much as thye have.

At least tomato make a rational effort to explain what was said. If not for other comments by the Obama Administration I could accept her argument. But those other commenst make that hard.

Frankly, the world is not as the liberal mob on the LJW blogs see it. Some people are cabable of independent thought and recognize a tomato when they see one.

He is anti-business and he is anti-the upper half of the middle class.

costello 1 year, 7 months ago

What B.S. Is this what we've come to? Deliberately misunderstanding one another so that we can be outraged?

I'm a registered Democrat. I'd put myself a bit left of center. When I hear a Republican quoted as saying something really outrageous, something I'd love to believe he or she said, but that seems too wild to be true, I go check it out. I find the video or the full quote and see what the statement was in context. I don't think that Romney, for example, isn't worried about the poorest people based on that quote that was taken out of context. I didn't hear Ann Romney say "you people." And when Obama made that comment about student loans, apparently based on something a Republican legislator said, I listened to her full comments and immediately decided that not only had Obama misrepresented her, she actually made sense. I probably wouldn't agree with many of her positions, but the comments that were twisted out of context made sense to me.

Of course Obama isn't hostile to business. It's absurd. The only reasons this lie continues to have any legs at all are that some people keep repeating it and some people want so badly to believe it.

The lying and the fearmongering have got to stop. This is taking us somewhere none of us want to go.

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

A great liberal victory. Using all too typical smear tactics all rational posters have been driven from the board.

Did you perhaps notice that about half of you defended Mr. Obama on the face of his anti-business (read capitalist) rhetoric while the other half restated what was said to indicate that he is not anti-business. Perhaps you could carry on a raucous debate without other participants. Are there two democratic parties? Many?

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

It's rather refreshing to see a growing number of commenters increasingly unwilling to suffer the fools of these forums and the fools who daily rehatch the rehash.

/ no, I don't add another candle to the cake until April

grimpeur 1 year, 7 months ago

Lost a lot of respect for Mr. Gurley today. Willful ignorance or just desperate politicking?

Really poor column. Time for George to go.

Missingit 1 year, 7 months ago

What I have missed from both sides of these comments is where does the middle of the road person come in. I do not think the rich should have a smaller tax bracket then I. The other end is I do not want to pay for people to be on disability all there lives and get a paycheck from the government and they never paid into the system. It seems the republicans represent the haves of society. The democrats represent the have nots. Who represents middle of the road Americans who wish they were rich but are glad they are not poor? That's the only answer I have for this election. Who is looking out for me and mine? We need a viable third party!

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 7 months ago

Artist: The Beatles
Song Title: Taxman
Writer(s): HARRISON, GEORGE
Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
And you're working for no one but me.

parco814 1 year, 7 months ago

Hostility to business? I call it thinking critically, even skeptically, about capitalism, and it's refreshing. About time a US President did it, and about time the US entered the 21st century.

This assumption that business owners are the risk takers and those of us who work for a wage aren't--that's poppycock, Mr. Gurley, and if I could use a harsher word here, I would.

The President tells it how it is and I'm not surprised that hurts the feelings of George and his fans here. They can claim that it hurts business, small and big, but that's more poppycock. They're not interested in the President's policies, which have in fact been business friendly. They just want to find fault with his words, and they'll figure out a way to do that no matter what he says.

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

Thought I would post this again since nobody dealt with it. In fact the only comment came from our resident communist who questioned my sanity??

"For the record I agree with his interpretation – not from the quote alone but from many other comments – including ones made here - as well as the actions of his party in office. Buy votes by taking from the upper half of the middle class and giving to the lower half of the middle class while making shrill sounds about the rich. Disgusting!"

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 7 months ago

Set an 'empty chair' at the end of your driveway tomorrow in 'honor' of New Americas "hostility" B.O.

Drive the 'complex', yet slightly nuanced, profound Liberals, to the showers. It's time for them to 'lather' up.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Just to go out on limb here ...if briefly...those boys that put up the billboards slamming the President on the twisted comment....namely the one in Georgia that was all over the interwebs...did he build the highway to his store? I hope he never considered a SBC loan or asked the local government for a tax abatement..... I'm not sure if some of those folks will ever really wake up and realize we really are already a socialist country...Just like all the rest of the western civilized world....

chootspa 1 year, 7 months ago

Do sandwich shops and espresso places build roads and bridges now? Please enlighten.

cowboy 1 year, 7 months ago

good post !

Actually and Factually in the 17-1800's slaves built it 18-1900's union workers built it

Honor our Workers on Labor Day !

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

I just ran across this one...I didn't read all the nonsense post..I know what they say. And I will add it is people like George Gurley that make America not work. George, your cream has sank to the bottom of the milk can. This is the pinnacle of organized and cultured stupidity at it finest....take the phrase from the President's speech and twist it completely out of context....good job...you joined the rest of those idiot across the nation. "Didn't build that", "gutted the work requirement", "robbed medicare"....The age of ignorance..and what is scary, I see educated people buying this stuff.....psssst, guys....the President, he's a black man. Hey, whitey, there is nothing to be afraid of, he's not going to get your daughters.

shawnsmith 1 year, 7 months ago

The freeloaders are worried. Dittos George.

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

You make my point well Fiddle. "Binary and worthless". Makes me glad you do not know my real name. I think one of the comments about my editorial was that I was an angry old man setting in my basement behind my keyboard in my underware. Makes me think I had a peeker. It was from an annoymous post of course. I get it, the apples and oranges comparison. It is like compairing Republicans to Democrates, Liberals to Conservative . There is just no way to do it.

Agnostick 1 year, 7 months ago

Mr. Gurley is exhibiting open hostility to truth, while blindly embracing illiteracy, partisanship, and fear.

Thanks for the laugh, Mr. Gurley!

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

A cowards path is one who is not willing to put his name on his opinions. Including me. After submitting an editorial to the JW some time back I found myself looking over my shoulder for several days after reading the comments on this website. All you brave annoymous souls on this website should try it sometime.

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

I am new to the site Fiddle so I am not familiar with the "trolling" term. Maybe you can enlighten me,

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

Mr Gurley is a very brave man. He actually gave his opinion and put his name on it. More than I can say for those here.

woodscolt 1 year, 7 months ago

Ok Gurley, you wrote an entire diatribe about what Obama didn't say. Why don't you save yourself the embarrassment of being an uniformed idiot and do a little research on what Obama really said instead of parroting what Fox said not Obama. I watch Obamas speech and then I saw Fox lie it into something that had nothing to do with what Obama said. What does your diatribe say about you Gurley? Repeating lies and then trying to derive some sorta conclusion from your lie. Pathetic. It says you are living in a fantasy world of lies and thats just ok with you. Lies are good according to good ole gurley. It is absolutely astonishing how much ease people are at with repeating lies. Are you an adult gurley. If so, do you teach those around that lying is a good time honored policy. What is the real point in making something up that Obama didn't say and then repeating it. Stupid is as stupid does.

sprucegoose 1 year, 7 months ago

So, if Obama's "You didn't build it" comment was taken out of context, what about congressman Akins "legitimate rape" comment?" There seem to be to many people on this forum drinking the Red and Blue coolaid.

observant 1 year, 7 months ago

George, it"s very sad when when Alzheimer and Dementia start to take over someone's life. Lawrence has several facilities for those like you.

camper 1 year, 7 months ago

What we need now more than anything is honesty. Only in this way can we begin to solve our problems. Taking things out of context like the writer does here is dishonest........or dumb. Either way, not very flattering for the writer. Was he really a journalist for the Star?

beatrice 1 year, 7 months ago

Once again, a conservative is talking about the imaginary Obama, not the real person. They can only address their projections on an empty chair than the actual person in the White House.

I suspect someone who fellow conservatives call a "vulture capitalist" is the one who is really dangerous for American businesses.

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

Mr. Gurley must be dead on to have the minority fringe in this much of a lather today. I have to admit at first I was in awe of the ignorance being spewed out but now this is just getting plain funny. C'mon blue dots lets hear more " wisdom " from your vast knowledge about the business world.

camper 1 year, 7 months ago

"this from a man who must always feel that he’s the smartest person in the room. The idea that someone might make it on his own is an offense to his ideology."

The writer of this piece takes a comment President Obama made (ie didn't build it), takes it out of context, and then makes leaping assumptions of what the president personally believes. Just like the example above, the writer continues to do this several more times throughout the piece. This is all bad logic, qualifies as ad hominem argumentation, and makes the writer appear to be biased. Frankly, he looks like an angry old man who cannot think clearly.

Btw, the didn't build it quote (in my opinion), was about the need for us to work together because often it takes more than one, to accomplish things. In my opinion, it was in no way meant to be a "hostile" speak against small business or individualism.

lunacydetector 1 year, 7 months ago

mr. gurley must be itching for an audit from the i.r.s......some local do-gooder will surely forward your op-ed to the appropriate obama people. freedom of speech doesn't exist in liberal enclaves, if it is counter to liberal idealogy.

Jason Johnson 1 year, 7 months ago

Mr. Gurley, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent article were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone reading this piece is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.

George Lippencott 1 year, 7 months ago

Interesting! Somewhere about 20% of the society (Republicans) read this quote as Mr. Gurley does. Another 20% (Democrats) believe it as Tomato suggests. The vast majority cares less.

I remind you that less than 10% of all businesses are medium or large (more than 100 or so employees). Most are small and are driven by the market. We still see about 2/3 of these fail. Most that succeed never make it rich.

So I guess that the greedy people that don't pay you enough money are the ones running the larger corporations - about a few thousand people. If I give you the notion that these people may be exploiting you, just how does making egregiously wrong allegations against small businesses change that? In fact given the power of the leaders of these large corporations exactly how do you really plan to control them? Mr. Obama and just about every other politician in Washington is beholding to them.

I guess that the only way the Democrats can win the election is to demonize anybody that disagrees with them - as they are doing to Mr. Gurley in this thread.

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

Is Larryville just one big welfare town ? The sheer ignorance of how life works outside your fishbowl is shocking and disturbing. I guess as long as you have other people working ( generating income to be taxed that supports your lame life style ) your good with that. Punish success - Barry's montra. At least it's over in November

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

I do wonder how many commenters here are being paid by the Kochs or one of the "non-profit," "bi-partisan" organizations they have started and continue to fund.

Really, how can anyone with an ounce of rational brain power misinterpret what President Obama said as being anti-business or untrue? None of us are completely self-made, none. That very idea is impossible.

Could Romney have become the Republican candidate for president without monetary contributions from others?

sueherynk7 1 year, 7 months ago

Here we go again. Someone writes an editorial, gets it published, and then anonymous people run their mouths on line by posting comments. Has anyone in this comment section ever considered their cowardice? When the writer of this op ed piece sent his letter in, it was signed WITH HIS NAME! How many of you run your mouths because you have no guts? I, Sue Herynk, challenge you to put your names where your opinions are just as George Gurley did.

fiddleback 1 year, 7 months ago

Since the two words before "If you've got a business" were "roads and bridges," it's no honest misunderstanding to think "that" references business; it's willfully dishonest spin perpetrated by soulless hacks and sold to obedient idiots...

And, it's hilariously cynical that it's been adopted as a campaign centerpiece. All a moderator has to do during the debates is play the clip including "roads and bridges", ask Romney if he really believes Obama was saying that business owners don't build businesses, and Romney is screwed.

Meanwhile, you don't see the Dems trying to get endless mileage or making a campaign meme out of this real gaffe:

"[Obama] says we need more fireman, more policeman, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It’s time for us to cut back on government and help the American people.”

So, do you see frothing partisans accusing Romney of being anti-fireman, policeman, and teacher?

Suggesting that he secretly wants to privatize all these functions?

No--That would be a bunch of runaway nonsense and conspiracy-theorizing. Funny how many warped dimwits don't realize when they've crossed that line.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/26/gops-we-built-it-speaker-didnt-build-it/ (cont.)

This is not the first time that an entrepreneur tapped by the Romney campaign to espouse its “We Built It” message turned out to have relied on the government for help with their business. Dennis Sollmann, the owner of Sollmann Electric Company, who appeared in a Romney web ad criticizing the president for his “you didn’t build that” line, did millions of dollars worth of work for the government. In addition, Jack Gilchrist, the owner of Gilchrist Metal Fabricating, who starred in another Romney ad, received $800,000 in tax-exempt revenue bonds, as well as sub-contracts in 2008 from the U.S. Navy. Eliseo and Cheryl’s business was built on millions of dollars of government–public–loan money. Once again, this shows President Barack Obama’s comments on July 13 to be absolutely correct, even when disrespectfully taken out of context and made controversial. Nobody has built their business completely on their own. Instead of using that as a partisan attack, let’s take it how it was meant by Obama: We need each other. And we need to work together.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

Cheryl Valenzuala is a scheduled speaker at the Republican National Convention. She’s also the proud owner of a business that started in her garage. She, and her husband Eli, started their upholstery company in order to pay for their child’s autism treatments, and it has grown into a company that makes baseball umpires’ vests and vests for the Israeli military. The company currently employs at least forty workers and brings in about 4.5 million dollars yearly in revenue. Their story is, no doubt, an incredible and heartfelt story of human achievement. Doubtless, based on the Republican stance, they built their business completely on their own. We’ll leave out the normal tax benefits such as roads, for now. Yet, starting out in a garage, no doubt they were able to achieve greatness on their own.

Or not. As seen on National Small Business Week, their success was made anything but on their own: For First State Manufacturing, Inc., the dream began in 1998 with a man, a woman, and a sewing machine in yes, you guessed it, a garage in Milford, Del. Today, that dream has become First State Manufacturing (FSM), a thriving business employing more than 40 technicians working in a new 66,000 square-foot facility funded by a $1.8 million U.S. Small Business Administration 504 loan.

Eli Valenzuela learned the upholstery trade from a correspondence course he took in the Army; he applied what he learned while working at Dover Air Force Base upholstering enormous C-5 Galaxy airlifters. With help from SCORE and the Delaware Small Business Development Center, Eli and his wife Cheryl composed a business plan, and opened FSM in their garage. With an initial $20,000 SBA-guaranteed loan they secured larger contracts and also became certified in SBA’s 8(a) Business Development Program. In 2001 FSM was ready to grow again, with a $96,500 SBA-guaranteed loan to modernize and expand inventory. After the 9/11 tragedy and its economic fallout, FSM obtained a $65,800 SBA disaster loan to maintain their business and employees until revenues returned. FSM revenue doubled from 2007 to 2010, increasing from $2.2 million annual revenue to $4.5 million. This isn’t the first time that the Republicans have flaunted a “We Built This” business owner that didn’t build it, as Huffington Post reports:

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

The real quote. But I know the tea partiers are too busy partying to read a lot of text. "Look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own," he said. "You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. "If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. "If you've got a business -- you didn't build that," he continued. "Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

George, you're an intellectual fraud and a liar. Maybe if you'd limit your conversations to the empty chair next to you at your kitchen table, the rest of us wouldn't have to endure your idiotic and baseless comments.

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

Obama's comments speak to the relevance of infrastructure—a common endeavor—to the success of business. But I guess that's lost on someone sitting on his caboose with a mouth full of pork.

Windemere 1 year, 7 months ago

As to the charges lobbed above regarding "we must end cradle-to-grave entitlements" vs. "corporate welfare is an outrage" I will speak up as someone who cringes at the hypocrisy. To be consistent, denounce BOTH. Government shouldn't pick winners and losers. The Fed government is too large, too costly. causes those who milk off of it to have the wrong incentives. Those of my generation are going to be screwed due to the over-spending, over-promising, vote-buying tactics of both Rep and Dem policitians. We need to start trimming somewhere, and ought to look at all areas of spending (farm subsidies, corporate tax loopholes, Medicare, Soc Sec -- everything). But let's look at the facts. These 3 portions of the budget are what we need to address most urgently: 1) Soc Sec; 2) Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP; and 3) defense. Each of these is about 20% of the Federal budget. Taxing the rich more won't begin to solve the problem. Let's stop the useless rhetoric and start the making the hard decisions.

Brandon Deines 1 year, 7 months ago

For God's sake, listen to what the president said. You aren't guilty of mid-contextualizing his words, you are outright lying about what he said in the "you didn't build that" speech. But since his opponents don't appear to have anything meaningful to say about their own agenda, they are left to stand around in a giant convention center and spout lies to the throng of cheering rubes before them. The question I have is this - do you not care that you're being lied to, or are you too stupid to realize it?

ThePilgrim 1 year, 7 months ago

"Small businesses such as these are the chief creators of jobs in America." Trouble is that these are not the kinds of jobs that America thinks about when they think of "jobs". I think entrepreneurship is great. The story about the caboose and trolley coffee shops is awesome - for the person who owns it. These jobs don't have benefits or health insurance. But not everyone can be an entrepreneur.

cowboy 1 year, 7 months ago

Mitt was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 7 months ago

I work in an industry that requires precise calculations and challenges the limits of engineering talent and creativity every single day in order for businesses to succeed. The industry I work in is responsible for the manufacturing of everything in this world all the way from the cups you drink coffee out of to components that allow us to view pictures from Mars. My industry went through a quality and productivity revolution over the last 25 years which transformed and changed completely how we view the concept of quality and efficiency.

So when I look at government and politics it is very difficult for me to understand how you can lead a nation as great and as complex as this one based on the lies that politicians continue to tell and the strange mythologies they continue to promote. I believe that the problems we face as a nation are simply too great for this kind of management or governance and we cannot afford these kind of people making important decisions only designed to benefit a small select few.

George has taken Obama's speech out of context and this has been clearly shown and he is on the conspiracy bandwagon with extreme right wing Obama haters.

Our country cannot solve the challenges of globalization and evironmental issues greater than we have ever faced without doing what the people in my industry do every single day. We need to stick to the facts and we need to work together or we will be consumed by real forces that threaten our survival as a nation. It has got to become a team effort or we are all going to fail in the end.

David Dunlap 1 year, 7 months ago

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. “If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

I liked Mitt's response to the you did'nt build that crowd. " It's like giving the bus driver credit for your child being on the honor roll ".

observant 1 year, 7 months ago

I used to read and enjoy Mr Gurley's columns. This wild diatribe will make me re-think whether I will ever read him anymore. Think George has started hanging out with Dolph, same type of nutcase BS.

oldexbeat 1 year, 7 months ago

wow. here I'm trying to get over the millions of dollars paid to tea party leaders in SW Kansas -- millions and millions from USDA -- knowing, in my liberal heart that we need to protect even the farmers that say they want no one ELSE to get government money -- just them. I know we have to keep farmers from going out of business. And education. We need public education -- that's what built the middle class, in addition to huge government payment to all the wonderful WWII vets to go to school and buy homes and get cheap loans for business. Gee, that government again. Getting in the way ? I don't think so. Then there is I-70 and I-35 -- Nation wide highways, put in by Ike and Title 3 goverment funding. Huge amounts. Would not have happened without that darn government money. Then, I think about all the electricity going to all the farmers in SW Kansas. REA government money. Only way that happened.

So again, where's the problem with the government? Most of SW Kansas would be gone without that government money over the years. Get over it, George. You sound very bitter. Did someone steal something from you when you were little ? Maybe your ice cream ?

WristTwister 1 year, 7 months ago

I applaud Mr. Gurley for telling it like it is. I submit that Mr. Obama is more than anti-business. He is anti-America as well. Unfortunately, he may succeed in buying this election by promising economic free rides to those who yearn for cradle-to-grave entitlements and have no interest in being productive citizens in this nation.

Jackie Jackasserson 1 year, 7 months ago

Or maybe it was a passionate nod to the infrastructure our government provides all citizens a chance to succeed and that none of us does without the collective.

commonsenseanyone 1 year, 7 months ago

Getaroom, why do you get so nasty when someone has an opposing view? What "lies" is he repeating? Your comment was incredibly rude and insulting towards Mr. Gurley and yet you offered zero fact based rebuttals. I assume most Obama supporters are still in disbelief of the current state President Obama finds himself in. It will be interesting what the democrats talk about at the upcoming convention. The speech writers for the democrats are going to earn their money this year.

cowboy 1 year, 7 months ago

It is obvious that the LJW editorial department has slipped somewhere below the Trading Post paper in evaluating honest journalism. To publish this tripe which is based on an out of context , edited clip , and twist it into what is now the republican battle cry is lower than low.

canyon_wren 1 year, 7 months ago

Great letter--so many good points covered!

WristTwister 1 year, 7 months ago

The only thing Mr. Obama has built is a mountain of debt.

Corey Williams 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe it's just "trail and error"?

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 7 months ago

The "Nobel Peace Prize" laureate is 'doing' the best he can. I'd vote for his 'complex' business 'chicanery' if he had more of Harry Reid's descriptive, yet nuanced, 'physical' characteristics.

Getaroom 1 year, 7 months ago

George Gurley, you should get a life and stop wasting space on the LJW pages. This is nothing more than a diatribe against Obama and there are plenty of those to go around, but even that wouldn't be so bad, if it weren't so trite - right down to the bumper sticker ending of the 'article'. In fact, the entire thing reads like a series of bumper stickers and to make matters worse, you repeated lies and distortions ripped off from the Republican National Info-mercial. Trying to out-do Clint Eastwood? You didn't even come close, after all he is a pro at making a fool of himself.

I say, way to go LJW, for letting George Gurley tell us who you are backing in this dog and pony show and for doing it so poorly. Good job!

Corey Williams 1 year, 7 months ago

It was republican name calling that got us "vulture capitalist". http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/01/11/vulture-capitalism-pat-buchanan-gingrich-perry/

Maybe it's not that "people get rich simply by taking more than their share.", they get rich by not paying their employees enough. Or they get it from their daddy, like Mitt.

And it's not just people saying “Don’t touch my benefits,”. It's amazing that there always seems to be a call for welfare reform, but never corporate welfare reform. http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/corporate-welfare-federal-budget?gclid=COn4waD1lrICFQsGnQodgXIAbQ

How can America afford to give money to those who need it least?

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

100 % on the mark. Great column George.