Archive for Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dayne Crist solid, not spectacular — yet

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist gives last-minute instructions to his teammates trying to move the Hawks down field on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

September 2, 2012

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis

Kansas coach Charlie Weis talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 31-17 victory over South Dakota State on Sept. 1, 2012.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players talk following win over SDSU

KU players talk following their 31-17 win over SDSU on Sept. 1, 2012.

Box score

KU 31, SDSU 17

For so much of Dayne Crist’s debut as Kansas University’s quarterback, Peggy Lee, a late singer from a bygone era, came to mind. You could almost hear her singing, “Is that all there is?”

Landing Crist, the big, bright, thick, strong-armed born leader who spent four years at Notre Dame, sparked so much excitement among a fan base that had been bored stiff the past two years.

One game into his KU career, Crist remains the most compelling figure on the football team, but for a different reason. Now intrigue has entered the picture. Just how good is the quarterback who suffered a pair of serious knee injuries, spent four years at Notre Dame and was benched for good part-way through the first game of his junior season?

Crist, he knows it ain’t easy. He knows how hard it can be. He also knows he’s much better than he showed Saturday night in front of 46,601 spectators in Memorial Stadium.

“I’m very disappointed with how I played, left a ton of throws out on the field,” Crist said. “More than anything, I’m just happy that we got a win, couldn’t be more happy for my teammates, and at the end of the day, that’s the most important thing.”

Showing a symptom common with pitchers too amped up for the big start, Crist missed wild high with a number of throws. He overthrew his targets at other times, most notably when senior receiver Daymond Patterson had broken free in the back of the end zone.

Crist didn’t keep anyone in suspense as to the strength of his arm. He hit Kale Pick with a 43-yard bomb on the game’s first play from scrimmage. By the night’s end, he had completed just 17 of 36 passes for 169 yards with one touchdown, one interception and an average of 4.7 yards per pass attempt.

Crist said he never had been as excited waiting for a game to arrive.

“There is a ton of anxiousness going into any game, but waiting a full calendar year to get back was something that’s exciting, something I couldn’t wait for, but at the end of the day I tried to do too much, was a bit too antsy,” he said. “It’s not characteristic of me or how I want to play, but I’m excited to get the win and come back next week improved.”

Kansas coach Charlie Weis, the man who recruited Crist to Notre Dame and coached him for two years when he was a reserve, didn’t look the least bit worried.

“In the passing game, all the focus goes on the quarterback, but remember, this is a kid who hasn’t played in a year, gets pulled at halftime of the first game and really didn’t play again,” Weis said. “I think this was a good game for him to get out of the way, and he’ll just get better and better.”

So too, Weis said, will the fit between Crist and some of his receivers improve.

“When you look at it, you think it’s all the quarterback’s fault, but you don’t realize it when somebody’s not running the right route,” he said. “We had a screen pass called one time where one of our young men was running the wrong play. He came off the field after the play, and I said, ‘What were you doing?’ He honestly told me he was running a different play because the two plays sound alike.”

Nothing about KU’s off-target passing game dulled the enthusiasm Patterson has for his battery-mate.

“I think it’s just Week 1,” Patterson said. “Everybody’s anxious, hyped up to go. You see that all around the nation. It’s Week 1. You’re not going to connect on every pass that you want to just from being a little hyped up. The ball might get off the quarterback’s hand, the receiver’s trying too hard to run the route and might slip. From Week 1 to Week 2 should be the biggest jump because you’ve got one out of the way.”

Seeing if that’s the case makes the one-year Crist stay in Lawrence can’t-miss theater.

Comments

jtop 1 year, 7 months ago

Peggy Lee AND Lennon-McCartney in the same column?! Keegs, you sly dog.

mhhmmm 1 year, 7 months ago

i think coolhawk summed it all up, if you are a jayhawk, act like one.

yanman 1 year, 7 months ago

I expected more from Dayne with everything I read about how he was doing in practices and scrimmages. Other than a few good passes (the first pass of the game and his touchdown pass were two of his best) he had quite a few open passes he was not anywhere close on. I do think he will get better as the season goes on.

kansasinkentucky 1 year, 7 months ago

Really!? We have a new coach, a new bunch of players, new assistant coaches and new plays. This the first time we are playing against someone other than someone who walks into our locker room. Give them a break. I can't remember the last time KU scored 34 points. Great game boys! Keep up the good work!

coolhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Saw alot of dropped passes. I think the receivers were surprised that a catchable ball was being thrown their way. Breshears dropped 2 that were in his hands at the numbers. Put in the tall receivers in the red zone - omigie, ford, turzilli and let them do their thing. Overall, impressed with Crist. He is accurate. But his receivers are letting passes sail through their hands. this team is much better than anything on the field the last two seasons. beware, our kicker can't get it into the end zone on kick offs. We never had a touchback. each time sdsu kicked off - it was 5 yards deep into the end zone and a touchback. We are going to have to corner kick and use the sideline as part of the defense. I saw a lot more poise than at any time the last couple of years. Give them a couple of games and they will be better. not perfect - but better. the crowd was sitting on it's hands last night. get up and act like you know what you are doing - this is football. spit, growl and cuss - do something - otherwise stay home and bitch about the economy.

hammerhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I had high expectations but reality hit me right in the face last night sitting on the 20 yard line up in the shady pert of the stands. Now I'm thinking this is going to be another long season. I really saw nothing even vaguely approaching quality. The moon was nice and the field looked sharp, but Crist, the coach and his play calling, and team...nah. Oh well. I'll be back next week anyway, even if I leave early, again.

DocPossum 1 year, 7 months ago

Its a team sport last time I looked. The whole team should improve over the next few weeks. Crist can't throw and catch the ball. You need to work on your enthusiasm to be a better fan. You're a 9 on whining and a 2 on optimism. You should work with Holsopple to bring your O-Rating up!

squawkhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I guess now we see why Crist couldn't start at Notre Dame. 47% completion rate for 169 yards barely cuts it against a low level D1 school like SDSU. It won't cut it against any of the Big 12 Schools. We better hope he improves greatly or pray that our running game can carry the O.

pigballin 1 year, 7 months ago

Quite frankly Crist does not have the best receivers to throw to. Short and not actually that fast. They are not getting much separation..Same story as last year.