From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Sept. 2, 1987:
Lawrence second-grader Forrest Savage said today that he was planning to sue Lawrence U.S.D. 497 for denying his transfer request to Broken Arrow School. The 7-year-old boy had paid $100 from his own savings account to retain attorney Margie Wakefield-Green, who had been assigned to him through the Legal Aid Society Inc. Terrence Savage said that his son had been granted transfers to Broken Arrow in kindergarten and first grade, but that the request for this year had been denied. Forrest, whose home in Gaslight Village placed him in the Cordley School area, could go to Cordley or to one of a number of other schools that had space for another second-grader, but not to Broken Arrow, according to district officials. Forrest objected to attending Cordley, saying "I don't got no friends there." Supt. Dan Neuenswander said this morning that there was simply not enough space in the first- and second-grade "pod" at Broken Arrow this year and that four teachers were already in charge of 100 children in the pod.