Archive for Monday, October 29, 2012

Newt Gingrich coming to KU for Dole Institute event

October 29, 2012

Former U.S. Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich will appear at the Dole Institute of Politics for an event next month.

The Dole Institute will present “An Evening with Newt Gingrich” at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 14. It will be free and open to the public.

During the event, Dole Institute Director Bill Lacy will interview Gingrich about the results of next week’s presidential election, as well as Gingrich’s experience as a candidate for the Republican nomination.

Gingrich will also discuss his new book, “Victory at Yorktown,” a historical novel set during the Revolutionary War. The book will be for sale at the event, and Gingrich will sign copies.

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh boy! I hope LPD gets their new tank by then.

frankfussman 1 year, 10 months ago

I hope the Fred Phelpses are there, too.

kernal 1 year, 10 months ago

The Phelps clan are Democrats. Go figure.

chootspa 1 year, 10 months ago

The Wu guy is running as a Republican. I don't think either party wants to claim them.

overthemoon 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, I wonder if he's bringing his guy in the big Grey Elephant costume? Guy's just trying to sell his silly books.

JJE007 1 year, 10 months ago

I really like this super silly comment. I hope you're right.

kernal 1 year, 10 months ago

Cuz you're on the look out for a new bong?

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

With the election a week into our rearview mirror, passions hopefully will have calmed by then. I have intention of going, but those who do I hope will treat our guest as a guest.

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, I do hope somebody politely asks him about that priceless "seeds of 2012" proclamation he made to his chums a mere 4 years ago...

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

The day after the election, the election of 2016 begins. The jockeying for position within both parties will commence.

I recall Goldwater laying the foundation for his 1964 run right after the 1960 Republican loss. I'm not old enough to recall this one, but didn't Adams and Jefferson fight long and hard to succeed Washington? So, are you suggesting something was done in 2008 that wasn't previously done?

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

Hardly. I'm suggesting that as with just about everything he does, Newt adds his own hefty dollops of pomposity and grandiosity. He would gladly not only invoke any of the men you just mentioned, but then compare his own actions with layered delusions of historical significance. The quote was just another seductive whiff of his pungent penchant for self-aggrandizement, and even after next Tuesday's confirmation of his party's losing demographic strategy, I expect that Newt will be a buoyant little drum major helping lead the GOP's march further into the wilderness...

I do hope he is treated with all the courtesy and hospitality afforded other top-tier comedians, such as Larry the Cable Guy or Carrot Top.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

Tis the season to go wife shopping..again...and again...and agian....

JJE007 1 year, 10 months ago

Will you be peeing your pants in excitement at the event? I think not...but do think all losers should be in attendance...in a grand old party show of stupidity and the hatred of their neighbors.

kernal 1 year, 10 months ago

Even though I'm a Lib, I have to say Newt is not stupid. I disagree with a lot of what he said during the early campaign days, but he does have knowledge and some common sense. Can't say the same for Ryan.

cabocrazed 1 year, 10 months ago

No but we might be getting a tingling sensation down our legs!

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm worried about you, rockchalk. Perhaps you should start constructing your own little world where Romney wins...you seem pretty dependent on that fantasy, and Lawrence certainly doesn't need another mentally unhinged person roaming its streets...

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

In the event of that unlikelihood, I'd be quite prepared to offer a sincere apology. But that's just it, I'm not so wedded to a certain outcome that I'll flout statistics and become an idiotic braggart insisting on an improbability.

Keith 1 year, 10 months ago

He's plugging his new book, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, I'm Halfway There.

JJE007 1 year, 10 months ago

Your arm may be strong but your language, punctuation and loyalties are "weak".

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

It's pretty funny to look at your avatar and imagine that it's Mitt committing to attend. Which he probably could -- odds are 3-to-1 that he'll start having some free time on his hands...

Armstrong 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, Mitt will probably have some time to kill before he is sworn in.

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

You could probably "swear him in" wherever and whenever you like; I don't imagine he'll be in too big a hurry to recede back into the woodwork in dear old Massachusetts. How about over in Jackson Co., MO? His people believe that this was the original Garden of Eden, and you could have him swear on a Book of Mormon. I don't think this sort of consolation play-acting would bother Pres. Obama or Justice Roberts; everyone acknowledges how badly Mitt really wanted this. It's sweet of you to help him realize his dream...

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

What utterly facile nonsense. Where are you from--of course either one of you would be called out for reneging on a $1000 bet! If you don't want to bet money just say so. Otherwise pony up!

And if you really want someone to validate your little self-exile idea, I'm game. Heck, if you got Armstrong, WristTwister, or rockchalk77 to join you, I'm sure I could round up a few others from the left to make it worth y'all's while....

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

markoo would seemingly rather keep you around for his own amusement. He is however willing to put serious money on the table, to which you answer with dissembling about which kind of wager is more accountable...

Yes, I will gladly take your wager, and if you can get more of your like-minded peers on board, I will private message a few other Dems to make it even. Winners get the playground.

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh please-- is this what constitutes clear thought in your world? A person could renege on either kind of bet! The only difference is how easily observers could shame him for it. Yes, only a monetary bet's winner would be certain of a welch, but with your proposal a dishonest loser would likely just adopt a new moniker and leave said observers just as uncertain. At least markoo was clear on why he didn't wish to bet on forum participation, whereas you've cloaked your unwillingness to bet money in facile absurdity. I placed no conditions, and am betting just as you wish, because not only am I confident that Obama will win, but unlike markoo, I do not consider your muddled thinking worth sparing for the sake of "diversity" or others' amusement...

So get your little buddies' attention and see if they're also willing to stake their trolling hobbies on this thing. It's on, Grumby.

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh! , I was hoping he was going to discuss his concept for the colonization of the Moon, Mars or the Sun. Be advised to take you meds before going to the talk.

labmonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Will Calista and her unmovable, plastic hair be there?

kernal 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought she was an android.

Caz Snwot 1 year, 10 months ago

It's disappointing that KU, in a town that touts itself as being liberal, is allowed to let a war criminal come to their school and promote his ideals.

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

There is a history of allowing war criminals, lest you forget Rummy was here earlier this year. And also not so sure about the KU Grad. and former Air Force Chief of Staff that served under "The Shrub".

Caz Snwot 1 year, 10 months ago

we elect officials that declare war on defenseless people that launch drones to drop bombs on innocent people... we say we are fighting for freedom.... this isn't a democrat or republican thing... there are many politicians on both sides guilty of a multitude of war crimes.

Trumbull 1 year, 10 months ago

Newt should explain this. He is the definition of a politician. When you are a politician, Dishonesty has different shades of color, and it is all a part of the game. One can watch this clip and decide for themselves.

verity 1 year, 10 months ago

History would tell us he's already found #4.

verity 1 year, 10 months ago

Newt Gingerich campaigning for Todd Akin after Romney dropped Akin. Should I laugh or cry? What to do, what to do.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 10 months ago

Gingrich a war criminal? Hardly. He made sure he was nowhere near Vietnam, with his student exemption.