Archive for Monday, October 29, 2012

Enforcement action nets 16 seat belt violations, 1 arrest

October 29, 2012

Lawrence police officers issued 16 seat belt violations Friday evening as part of an ongoing seat belt enforcement action funded by the Kansas Department of Transportation, said Lawrence police Sgt. Trent McKinley.

During the action, officers stopped a total of 18 motorists driving near 19th and Kentucky streets. During one attempted stop, a driver fled from officers and threw drugs from their vehicle. Police later caught up to the vehicle and made an arrest on charges of drug possession and fleeing and eluding police, among other charges.

The seat belt enforcement program includes funding to pay five officers overtime for four hours, once per month. The program will continue for two years, McKinley said.

Comments

alittlecurious 1 year, 5 months ago

Obviously a slow "speeding" day... er... a slow news day.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

I have quite a few fantastic cop stories, but I couldn't possibly publicize many of them here. Besides, there's a 3,000 character limit on this forum. I did write about a Kansas Bureau of Investigation traffic stop story in three segments, you can read about it here: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/dec...

I left out a couple things though.

Liberty275 1 year, 5 months ago

If you are stopped by the cops for seat belt violation, do your best to keep the cop at the scene answering dumb question. Ask about how you can get involved with a neighborhood watch - anything to keep him from leaving, but be nice. If it costs $20 to write a $10 ticket, they'll get the idea soon enough and nose out of our lives a little more.

Every bit helps.

bliddel 1 year, 5 months ago

I find it very disappointing to see here how many people unquestioningly support a violent police state. America is becoming more fascist every day, just like in Nazi Germany, where most people simply went with the flow, because they were promised increased "safety".

I'm not opposed to seatbelts. I wear mine whenever my car is in motion.

What I am opposed to is a "justice system" that is funded in part or in whole by stealing from the populace at the point of a gun. A cop says you weren't wearing your seatbelt. He asks you to step out of the car. You oblige, fearing being ripped out of your car and tasered, possibly to death. Now you have no proof of innocence, hence you are guilty. It does not matter if you were wearing your seatbelt. Pay, or be incarcerated and routinely strip searched, “for your protection”.

The fourth amendment has been relegated to irrelevance, because ignorant people have allowed "probable cause" to include driving an automobile.

BTW, seatbelts do not prevent accidents. Think about that for awhile.

somedude20 1 year, 5 months ago

The seat belt law is just a gateway drug to making bigger and better arrests while peeing on the Constitution

CLARKKENT 1 year, 5 months ago

Seat belt checks are well and good. Why do we never read about driving and TEXTING? Heck, why don't you give me the ticket book, as I see that happening daily? If you do not figure a way to stop that, somebody will be killed in Lawrence.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 5 months ago

How many tickets were issued for open containers to thosebwaking from bars and for littering and vandalism of cars. And noise violations, how many tickets were issued for the stops at 13th And. Mass

Clayton Kelly 1 year, 5 months ago

yes the stats show seatbelts work, however i feel that it should be a choice just like the helmet law for motorcycles.... when i was 16 i was in a rollover accident where the kid next to me was decapitated and he WAS wearing his seatbelt and I wasn't, and I was told that saved my life.... sure I had some bad injuries and almost lost my arm but I survived and now refuse to wear a seatbelt and actually have a letter from a pshychiatrist so that I don't have to wear one..... waste of police manpower in my opinion....

Randall Barnes 1 year, 5 months ago

$10.00 and zero court cost. i have a few tens just for the occasion because i choose to live.

one2no 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey you all have forgotten things ate getting better. The cables are up on K-10. I'm kinda hoping we will be able to see how they work in the next 30days. How we can start with the soccer Dad texting at 90. That will be a good one. That could be one of those that at 90 it will sling shot them back out onto the roadway.

riverdrifter 1 year, 5 months ago

Them seat belt shirkers are a menace to society. Pillory them!

patkindle 1 year, 5 months ago

traffic violations could be reduced alot more by the local paper simply publishing names, ages and addresses of everyone convicted. it makes great reading for the nickel noses, and people would watch thier step better than now.

alcoholbliss 1 year, 5 months ago

Up next — random blood pressure and cholesterol checkpoints. LPD will be issuing cops calipers to measure our body fat ratios. Anyone 10% over their BMI will be sent home with a 10$ ticket, and an advert for a gym membership to the newly proposed city-KU recenter.

10 out of 16 drivers stopped will arrested for fleeing, and throwing fast food out their windows.

They should watch the coffee and doughnuts themselves.

Liberal 1 year, 5 months ago

Seat belt violations are ridiculous. If I want to fly through my windshield let me, you will let me ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Why don't you spend some time slowing people down on Clinton Parkway or nabbing red light runners.

HowardStern 1 year, 5 months ago

How about some enforcement for imprudently "following [the car in front of you] too close?" If you're going to ride me, at least buy me dinner and a drink first...

KHP and the yokel sheriffs are intent on writing radar tickets. Where's the "sport" in sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun in the window and not having developed an ability to determine a driver's vector/rate of speed?

Once it begins to rain again and the long days are void of light, the accident rate will increase and imprudent driving is COMPLICIT in a measurable fraction of these.

Yes, you... the mini-van driving, unemployed soccer dad texting at 90 mph with bad tires, a misalligned front end and no ability to drive offensively. Back off, guey.

1 year, 5 months ago

Are you sure a seatbelt violation is $10....that seems ridiculous? I have never heard of a ticket under $80. Not sure you're telling the truth Roe.

RoeDapple 1 year, 5 months ago