Archive for Monday, October 29, 2012

Certified results confirm voter registration drop

October 29, 2012

Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew on Monday released the certified numbers of registered voters for the county, and it has decreased from 83,174 in October 2008 to 78,752 now.

That is a drop of 4,422 voters, or about a 5 percent decline.

Here are the numbers of registered voters by political party from 2008 and 2012:

• Democrats: 29,144; 27,194 (decrease of 1,950).

• Republicans: 24,362; 22,706 (decrease of 1,656).

• Unaffiliated: 28,816; 28,028 (decrease of 788).

• Libertarian: 754; 759 (increase of 5)

• Reform: 101; 52 (decrease of 49)

• Americans Elect: (didn’t exist in 2008); 13.

If you want to beat the crowd on Election Day, which is Nov. 6, advance voting continues this week amid seasonable weather.

Here’s the schedule for advance voting this week:

• Douglas County Courthouse, 11th and Massachusetts streets: 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Additional hours at the courthouse will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. The last time for advance voting at the courthouse is 8 a.m. to noon Monday, Nov. 5.

• Brandon Woods Smith Center, 4730 Brandon Woods Terrace: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Friday.

• Building 21 at Douglas County Fairgrounds, 2110 Harper St.: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Friday.

• Drive Room at Kansas University Burge Union, 1601 Irving Hill Road: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday.

• Lecompton City Hall, Eudora Recreation Center and Baldwin City Fire Department: 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday.

Comments

consumer1 2 years, 1 month ago

Democrats must hate that they can only vote and register once. It used to be so easy to vote several times for your choice. Dang it!!

markoo 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, we're really ballin' our widdle eyes out. According to the Republican National Lawyers Association, there has only been 1 instance of conviction of someone of voter fraud in our state in 2004:

Kobach is completely full of it:

From this recent study:

A little math:

Among 600,000,000 votes cast, only 2,068 ALLEGED voter election fraud occurred. That's a .000003 incidence. Holy crap! I'm so glad we're on top of that high rate with our new laws.

But wait, it gets sooo much better!

Out of that alleged voter fraud, only 30.6% or .306 chance of voter fraud actually occurred. That's a .000001 incidence of ALL voter fraud or .0001% occurrence.

And in-person voter fraud, that's even lower - a .000000001 or .0000001% occurrence.

Holy crap! Call the police! Call the Feds! Round up all the 0.0000001 percenters out there!!!!!!!!!!

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

My car window was broken at least a dozen times while living in California, yet only one person was ever caught and convicted. According to your logic, the other eleven instances were either alleged or never really happened. Or did it only have a .000000001 chance of happening. But, but, but ... I distinctly recall paying someone to repair the window.

BTW - Instances of broken windows are so common out there that people don't even report them to the police. I mean, why should they? The police are too busy with other matters, like murder and such. So if it's unreported, did it happen, or should I just add a couple of more zeros?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

You are correct. If voter fraud were a huge problem, we should institute sweeping changes to make sure voter fraud is nipped in the bud. Conversely, if voter fraud is a relatively small problem, perhaps we institute a relatively minor solution, such as providing an ID.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

Numbers can be fun to play with. Of course, you're making the assumption that you have all the numbers. But let's suppose just one fraudulent vote got past you and your analysis. Your argument would then be that even with the reworked numbers, the odds would still be so small, that no action needs to be taken. My argument is that all of you numbers would be wrong. And if two voters slipped by, you could rework your numbers and I would again simply say your numbers are wrong. And if it is three fraudulent voters ... Tell me, Markoo, how many fraudulent votes slipped past your analysis?

Speaking of statistical improbabilities, ever buy a lottery ticket?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

One of my earlier comments mentioned the car windows broken and not reported to any authority. According to official statistics, it didn't happen. They could guess at how much or how little that happens. But in the end, it's just a guess.

Do I think your odds are incorrect? No. I do believe that the numbers you entered to arrive at your statistical analysis is based on part of the truth, the other part being unknown and unknowable. A guess.

None2 suggested extraordinary means be used to solve this problem, if this is such a rampant problem. I never suggested the problem was huge. In fact, I think it's a pretty small problem. And I think the ID requirement is a measured response to that small problem. If you have a problem with that, you're entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

BTW - I don't have monkeys flying out my butt nor do I buy a few hundred thousand lottery tickets each week. But I do have enough common sense to know that there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics. Have fun with your calculator.

notajayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

"there has only been 1 instance of conviction of someone of voter fraud in our state in 2004"

Which is exactly one more than the number of documented 'disenfranchised' voters.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

Without breaking out my slide rule to get exact percentages, it does appear that the decreases of registered Democrats and Republicans is about the same. Interestingly, the decrease in those who identify as unaffiliated appears to be much less by percentage and actual numbers. First thought that comes to mind is that people seem to be disenchanted with Democrats and Republicans.

notajayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Very close. Democrats dropped 6.69%, Republicans dropped 6.79%.

CrumpD 2 years, 1 month ago

I wonder what the numbers would be if it was reported correct. My husband who happens to be a soldier and was deployed at the time that he registered was shocked when his registration card came back as "Unaffiliated" when he has never registered that way and didn't this time either. Makes me wonder how many others in the military were registered like my husband.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like you're suggesting fraud. For what purpose? Simply to deny your husband the right to vote in a primary, but of course, that could easily be remedied. Or maybe your husband checked the wrong box. It's been known to happen.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

If one is registered unaffiliated, one can vote in the D primaries in KS without changing one's registration.

One can also vote in the R primaries, but will have to change the registration to R - it's easy to do, and can in fact be done at the same time one goes to vote in that primary.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

Bad form, sir. Ironic that you would resort to such un-American tactics while your avatar flies the American flag in the background. Shame on you.

deec 2 years, 1 month ago

Along the same lines, a guy I work with stated it would be all right with him if the power stayed out in New York and they weren't ale to vote, since New Yorkers live in a different world.

notajayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

"Bad form, sir ..."

Anyone stupid enought to fall for it probably shouldn't be deciding who our leaders are.

Armstrong 2 years, 1 month ago

Unbundle the undies kids - it's a joke. Geez

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

A joke told once, might be funny. Or not. Told over and over again and it becomes neither a joke nor funny.

If you were to simply say "my bad", you might garner some respect in this forum.

notajayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

"Told over and over again and it becomes neither a joke nor funny."

Told over and over again, perhaps anyone that might be foolish enough to put any stock in his statement should have caught on by now.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 935 times, I must be a Democrat .....

drake 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Ag and jhawk- notice the part where he said Obama Fans? It was a joke.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 1 month ago

It's really ISN'T funny. Notice the difference in dates between the Spanish side and the English side of this flyer. THIS, my frans, is REAL voter fraud.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

Actually, Cait, what you are describing isn't voter fraud at all. It's a misprint. It happens all the time when humans are involved in the process. Eliminate humans and you eliminate misprints.

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

"Libertarian: 754; 759 (increase of 5)"

Up up up!