Archive for Saturday, October 27, 2012

Lawrence man arrested after answering door with a gun

October 27, 2012

A 57-year-old Lawrence man was arrested at his home Friday night on suspicion of aggravated assault.

Sgt. Ted Bordman of the Lawrence Police Department said the victim flagged down a patrol car about 11:40 p.m. and told officers the man had threatened him with a gun during a dispute.

When officers knocked on the man’s door in the 1300 block of Kentucky Street, he answered it with a .357 magnum revolver in his hand. Police arrested him and found a second pistol on the premises, Bordman said, before taking him to jail.

Bond has not yet been set.

Comments

wolfmn1958 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh really. I keep a loaded 45cal next to my front door in a drawer. Someone knocks on my door late at night,I will have it in my hand. I have been trained for years on weapons. There's just to many home robberies now days. If I point a weapon at you,it's because I fear for my families safety as well as mine. I just don't wave a fire arm to be waving one

costello 2 years, 1 month ago

Just don't answer the door if you're that nervous. If you're inside, and the other guy's outside, and you think you're in danger, stay inside and call the police. If you have a reasonable first line of defense - the phone - why hop to the more extreme remedy first?

Or call out "Who's there?" If the answer is "Police" and you have reason to believe it really is the police (like you recently threatened someone with a gun during a dispute), put the gun away before opening the door.

kawrivercrow 2 years, 1 month ago

" you have a reasonable first line of defense - the phone -"

Lolsy McLolstein says 'lol lol lol'.

tomatogrower 2 years, 1 month ago

+1. I think anyone is stupid to answer the door in the middle of the night without finding out who it is. I would think you would want the gun near your bed, so if you were asleep and someone broke in you would have a defense. Most thieves don't ring the doorbell first, or even come through the front door.

costello 2 years, 1 month ago

lol... Why do you assume he ran off a trouble maker?

costello 2 years, 1 month ago

It says the man threatened him after a dispute. It doesn't say they were in the man's house when the dispute occurred. It also doesn't say the nature of the dispute. Maybe they were disagreeing over politics or sports. You don't get to point a gun at everyone you disagree with - even when you're in your own home.

tomatogrower 2 years, 1 month ago

Also, you can't threaten someone with a gun, unless you feel threatened with a crime. If you are just arguing, and you can just walk or drive away, you are not being threatened. You may not show your gun.

Newell_Post 2 years, 1 month ago

I have answered the door at midnight once or twice with my .357 in hand. But the article implies that he was arrested for the earlier complaint of aggravated assault, and not for answering the door heavy.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

I have answered the door with my "gun" in my hand.....

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Ho, zing! Cheeze scores. Balls in your court, 20. I know you can handle 'em!

Armored_One 2 years, 1 month ago

If all he has is a derringer, he might not be up to handling that much... snicker

LadyJ 2 years, 1 month ago

According to the booking recap, he was arrested for aggravated assault and criminal carry firearms. Not sure what that means. Could it be he had a felony record and was not allowed to have a firearm?

Mike Frizzell 2 years, 1 month ago

Criminal Carry, according to the Kansas Statute, could be something as simple as the man carried the weapon concealed (without a permit) prior to or following the aggravated assault.

Assault, by Kansas Statute, is "intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm." That escalates to Aggravated Assault when a "deadly weapon" is involved.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

And the headline doesn't say it is.

It says he was arrested "after" answering the door with a gun, not "because" he did that.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Is this the opposite of a home invasion?

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 1 month ago

Somethings amiss with this story....not enough information to form an opinion... I will spew regardless... Relax and enjoy life while you can!

Come ride with me - Through the veins of history - I'll show you how god - Falls asleep on the job - And how can we win - When fools can be kings - Don't waste your time - Or time will waste you - No one's gonna take me alive - Time has come to make things right - You and I must fight for our rights - You and I must fight to survive