Archive for Friday, October 26, 2012

Topeka man dies after vehicle accident near KU campus

October 26, 2012

A 33-year-old Topeka man died following a single vehicle accident west of the Chi Omega fountain, at the intersection of Crescent and Spencer streets.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley, Adrian J. Garcia died at Lawrence Memorial Hospital following the accident, which was shortly after midnight.

Garcia was in a vehicle that struck a utility pole. Garcia and another person in the vehicle then fled the scene. Police located the other person and Garcia, who was badly injured and later died at the hospital.

The other person in the vehicle did not require medical attention, McKinley said.

Garcia was a member of the Lawrence High School football team from 1995-1997.

Comments

BamaboyinKS 1 year, 5 months ago

I can believe people can be so inconsiderate to this guy's family and friends at the time of his death. I'd met this guy in the last 3 years and I can the guy showed me nothing but respect and vice verse. To his Family and friends I'm truely sorry for your loss and in these times there are never enough words that can ease your pain or stop the hurt you feel. I just ask that you all remember Adrian as the man you knew and loved and to ignore these people out here trying to slander his name and memory. Remember the Devil will do anything to hurt us and he will use any method he can. R.I.P Adrian and Bro we will meet again

Your Boy D

grackle68 1 year, 5 months ago

LJW -- Please shut down the comment board down on this article ASAP.

Political 1 year, 5 months ago

" Fishy" story. Were they drunk???

armywife 1 year, 5 months ago

My heart goes out to the entire Garcia family, their extended family and friends of Adrian....I grew up in North Lawrence with a lot of the Garcia Family and they are one of the most loving and tight families I have ever had the honor of knowing. For ANYONE to say ANYTHING negative about a young man they never knew or a family they may never have known is immensly disrespectful, petty and extremely cruel!!! The entire family is in mourning over the loss of Adrian and I understand this is a public forum and that everyone is entitled to their comments good/bad but think very carefully about what you say as it could come back to haunt you someday......we DON'T know what happened or what was going on through anyones mind when they are in any particular situation such as this. Unitl you've experienced something this traumatic, those of you who are posting the disrespectful comments should probably just go about doing something else more worthwhile than tearing this AWESOME young man apart!!! In time I hope all of your hearts can heal and always remember that Adrian will be with you forever.....

amandadawn21 1 year, 5 months ago

if you don't know him, don't say anything negative... for one day you may find yourself in this situation.. and karma comes back hard.

mom_of_three 1 year, 5 months ago

The Topeka paper had a better article about the accident and "fleeing" unfortunately, seems to be the right word. But people often make stupid decisions after an accident and it cost a life.

Now, as far as compassion or respect, forums are not always for condolences, that is what the obituary is for. And if you don't like what is written here, then don't read it.
Yes, I have been in this situation. So i can say it.

jafs 1 year, 5 months ago

You know, I feel bad for family and friends.

But, this idea that you have to only say that, and not ask questions about what's happened, seems funny to me.

There are many, many tragic and fatal traffic accidents in this town - way too many. And, from my perspective, it would be very good to find out how they happen, and to urge everybody to be more careful, and make better decisions, so that fewer people lose their lives unnecessarily.

So, for example, when I read about a drunk driver who smashed into somebody's car and kills themselves, I don't just think "How sad", I also think "Stop drinking and driving, folks!"

We can't prevent all tragedies, of course, but we can certainly prevent the ones that are preventable, and the vast majority of traffic fatalities I've read about are preventable, if people are just a bit more careful and mindful on the road.

jonas_opines 1 year, 5 months ago

"Right now a family and many friends are grieving and we should all respect that."

It's a good sentiment, if some of the posters on this site had any capacity for respect, for themselves or anyone else.

Sadly, some do not.

Science1 1 year, 5 months ago

I am extremely disappointed in some of the comments posted. I truly believe these people weren't taught, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". Adrian was a very kind and giving person. What is the only thought that should be written in a public forum on this of situation is the condolences for the friends and family of those that have departed. Anything else, go and ask someone in person.

RockChalkTruck 1 year, 5 months ago

If Biggunz knew half the man Adrian was he would not sayin that - and if had known Adrian he would be a better man himself!! What a punk!! R.I.P. Adrian !!

hedro80 1 year, 6 months ago

Regardless of what happened, which we may never know, who can honestly say they have never put themselves in harms way? Death can happen to anyone but, under different circumstances. You don't know his story or his life. I have known Adrian for years & I know what kind of person he is. Everyone makes mistakes and if you claim you don't I would like to hear your story. No matter what anyone has to say those who knew him know the true Adrian. I read comments on here all the time of people passing judgement. His family & friends are grieving. There's no need to be judgmental. His family & friends don't need your judgement. They are dealing with enough grief & pain.

Kylee Manahan 1 year, 6 months ago

Artichokeheart, thank you!

Kylee

Bob Forer 1 year, 6 months ago

As you head west on Crescent the road curves slightly to the left approaching the intersection with Spencer. Looks like the vehicle failed to negotiate the curve and impacted the telephone pole.

Most likely the passenger side took the brunt of the impact.

My guess is that Mr. Garcia suffered from internal injuries and accompanying bleeding, and was able to ambulate until he lost consciousness from the loss of blood.

A terrible tragedy. It could have happened to many of us.

This is not an appropriate time nor place to judge anyone.

My thoughts are with both families.

travelerbraad 1 year, 6 months ago

The negative, insensitive, comments and discussion relating to the death of someone's loved one and friend are not only sickening but the best reason to not have a "Comments" section.

fromlarryville 1 year, 6 months ago

Not sure what happened but A.G. was a great guy! Might have said Topeka man but he grew up here in Lawrence. You could not help to like the guy. If you need something he would offer to try and help. When ever you were around him it's your own fault if you were not having fun. 33 yrs is not long enough but with those 33 yrs he tried and did a lot more than anyone his age can claim. And even after he is gone he is still helping many others for he was a donor! Prayers for the Garcia famillia and all the other relitives and friends. We will miss you A.G. Hope to see you again one day! Your buddy "Pablito"

myopinion 1 year, 6 months ago

There is an article on cjonline.com in Topeka with more information. Thoughts to the family and friends, so sad.

Kylee Manahan 1 year, 6 months ago

This may sound rediculous to many, but I went to the sight of the accident and picked up some pieces of the car and then broke down and felt Frankie's presence. They are in a better place, God rest their souls.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't understand some of the comments because it does state clearly in the article that Garcia and another person fled the scene, and when law enforcement is involved that usually means only one thing.
It is now the only fact we know.
Why is it that LJW cannot print the name of the other person who was involved in the accident?
Those of us who did not know him can stand back and be objective about the article which is very short and says little, but what little it does say could easily lead to a lot of speculation.
I don't think that anyone is being mean or not respectful of this young man and how he died, but rather are trying to understand why they didn't use a cell to call 911 and wait for help to arrive.

Kylee Manahan 1 year, 6 months ago

JustChuck, my thoughts exactly but with kinder words.

Kylee Manahan

rsmart 1 year, 6 months ago

I know what you are going through I lost my 34 yr old nephew to an accident not even 3 weeks ago. My Thoughts and Prayers go out to his family. Stay strong and remember he will always be with you.

Amy Heeter 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh adrian you left too soon, but tell your dad hi for me. We will miss you both.

Charlie Sabotage 1 year, 6 months ago

We have known Adrian since he was a child; he was a great kid and a great young man. Negative remarks posted by people who have no association with the family are cruel and unnecessary. This “article” is incomplete and clearly the only correct information is the location of the accident and the name of the departed. Many of his immediate family members are part of the Lawrence community including his dear mother, so think what you want but please spare his family and friend’s any unkind remarks and assumptions. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Kari Wempe 1 year, 6 months ago

Adrian was a good guy and looked out for a lot of kids, including my daughter. My husband coached in in baseball for many years. He was fun loving and loved his family. Rest in Peace Adrian, Rest in Peace.

reality_check79 1 year, 6 months ago

Some people make me sick!!! Thoughts and prayers to friends and the Garcia family...

Patrick Rooney 1 year, 6 months ago

Nice JW, remove my comment because I say something to someone who puts down a guy whom passed., but leave the comment up that puts the guy down.... just wait until someone close to you passes and you read all the crap that they post about your loved one. Bet you will say something....so If your going to delete a post because it sounds offensive look through this post again and finish your job!

chootspa 1 year, 6 months ago

Why are the comments not moderated right now?

MRG 1 year, 6 months ago

A-Train was a long time friend. He was always there for me and I cannot tell you how many of my most fun, hilarious times include him in them. A lot of them b/c of him. I love him and his family. My prayers are with his family, especially his bothers and mother. He was a family guy and was close to many people.

JackMcKee 1 year, 6 months ago

There are obviously huge portions of this story missing. Sorry for your loss if you knew they kid but this is probably the worth place on earth for someone to mourn. I recommend finding somewhere else.

Liberal 1 year, 6 months ago

I did not know Adrian, but people make mistakes, everyone on this board has made mistakes and all I can say it is a sad day when people are critical of people who have passed.

Condolences to all of his friends and family, It sounds like he was a great guy.

salty 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree, they could have been "fleeing" to get help. He was a friend of my kids and was always a great young man and good friend. It is amazing to me how people on these sites post such negative things without even knowing a person. It just shows how easy it is for people to disparage and criticize others when your writing anonymously. My thoughts and prayers go out to Adrian and his family!

ical06 1 year, 6 months ago

"Fleeing" could be a general term for walking away from the vehicle. Maybe they walked away to get help, but the wording used was that they fled the scene. We don't know, so we shouldn't judge without additional information. I would "flee" a vehicle if I thought it could catch fire, roll into oncoming traffic, fall over a cliff, etc.

I don't trust LJWorld media as far as I could throw them.

Anyway, from everyone I know, who knows Adrian, he was deeply loved. RIP. Another young man taken way too soon.

lynncobb37 1 year, 6 months ago

May You Rest in Peace Adrian, You will be missed dearly!

Brock Masters 1 year, 6 months ago

People do dumb things like fleeing an accident for no good reason and not getting immediate medical attention.

Didn't know the guy, but it makes me sad to think of a young man dying and the grief his family must be feeling right now.

Kylee Manahan 1 year, 6 months ago

Gone too soon, just like his father. Lots of love and prayers to the family and many friends!

ranger7272 1 year, 6 months ago

R.I.P. Brother see you on the other side. A-Train gone but not forgotten.

Dover 1 year, 6 months ago

Sad day. Adrian had no enemies. Only friends. A truly great guy. Always positive, friendly and quick to smile, is how I remember him.

crosstownbytch1 1 year, 6 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of Adrian's family and friends..i grew up with him and his family...he was the kind of man that would give the shirt off his back to anyone in need and did help anyone that needed it....he was loved by so many and we are all lost and for you biggunz you are an ass and must not be from lawrence or be associated with us SANDRATS because you would know better then to speak like that and be so disrespectful......i feel sorry for you if you meet any of us on the street...oops no i dont...i am sorry to all the family and friends but he/she has no right to speak like that and i will stick up for my friend/family....RIP bub we love and miss you

BrodyR 1 year, 6 months ago

RIP Adrian, you will be missed old friend...

dagger 1 year, 6 months ago

Idiots are everywhere. All of them come out to L.J. world threads. All of us that knew Adrian know what an awesome person he was. If someone on here has something stupid to say about Adrian they obviously didn't know him. Please don't let the idiots get to you.

princess81 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow biggunz, you sound like a real piece of work. Talking about someone who has passed is a completely cowardly move. You should be ashamed!

biggunz 1 year, 6 months ago

Must not have been that great of a person since he was fleeing from the police.

Patrick Rooney 1 year, 6 months ago

Rip Adrian! Prayers to the family! He was a great person.

colicole81 1 year, 6 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with the Garcia family! May God be with you all!

rooster 1 year, 6 months ago

Adrian Garcia was a GREAT young man who left us too soon. He always had a smile on his face and will be missed by many. Condolences to his friends and family.