Archive for Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lawrence man arrested on animal cruelty charge

October 25, 2012

A 23-year-old Lawrence man was arrested early Wednesday morning at Lawrence Memorial Hospital on a charge of animal cruelty.

Lawrence police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said an anonymous caller reported a dog squealing and lying on the ground in the 800 block of Michigan Street. Animal control officers responded just after 1:30 a.m. and found a yelping dog, which was unable to stand because of a plastic tie, or flex cuff, tied around its back legs.

The dog also did not have any food, water or shelter. Animal control workers removed the plastic tie from the dog, which did not suffer any broken bones, Murphree said.

Police then received a report of a man being treated at LMH for a dog bite. They interviewed the man and arrested him.

The man was booked in Douglas County Jail and released on a $750 bond.

Comments

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 5 months ago

I detest abusers of any kind. Be it animals, or people.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 6 months ago

here is his Douglas County Sheriff's Office booking #, for those interested

12-4415

www.dgso.org

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 6 months ago

when the LJW finally publishes this guy's name, they should do so in a large font and perhaps leave it on the main page for a day or two.

1 year, 6 months ago

i agre e sickos shouldn't have pets and also consumor 1, your thoughts are dumb give it up chill out

agrabass 1 year, 6 months ago

The dog should have gone for his jugular...just sayin'.

Lenette Hamm 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm all for punishment fitting the crime, even if the guy was bitten. He probably did something to aggravate the dog to begin with. So instead of putting him in jail and then letting him go, tie HIS feet and hands up, and leave him on the side of the road to fend for himself. Same thing goes for anyone who physically or sexually abuses a child or an older, vulnerable person. Treat them the same as their victims were treated...

townie42 1 year, 6 months ago

So did the dog bite him before or after he zip-tied its legs?

blindrabbit 1 year, 6 months ago

consumer1; You goin for the record number of lame comments on one subject within a 24 hour period. Not close, not because of the lameness but I'll but Sageie/NancyBoy/TomS would win out on both counts and irrevalence.

consumer1 1 year, 6 months ago

Just more of the same. what a shame, your'e so lame, can't play the game, gotta switch the blame.

butterflylvr 1 year, 6 months ago

People like this make me sick. Why get an animal if you hate them so much. I can only hope that this....."guy" has a crappy life and get some sort of payback for what he did. I hope that this poor dog gets a new happy home.

patkindle 1 year, 6 months ago

it is so easy to bait a liberal , that it is hardly even worthwhile

Randall Uhrich 1 year, 6 months ago

At least the dog wasn't penned in a cage on top of a car for a 10-hour trip. Now that guy should have been arrested.

Russell Fryberger 1 year, 6 months ago

I called the police Saturday to a dog left in a car at Kansas Speedway. The dog was in the car for at least 5 hours before I made the call. The cops got there and I left so I don't know what became of the situation. Felt good to make that call because I was tempted to commit a felony and just remove the dog and take it home with me. Idiots don't need pets they need other idiots.

CWGOKU 1 year, 6 months ago

Sick freak............... string him up

consumer1 1 year, 6 months ago

Ho, again attack the person not the topic

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 6 months ago

I would have totally understood if this had been done to a cat.

consumer1 1 year, 6 months ago

are these comments from the Liberal Lawrence "folks"??? WOW??? What happened to innocent until proven guilty??? More double standard, knee jerk Liberal rhetoric huh?? I bet a Liberal could get away with using the hang word about this guy.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 6 months ago

Sick basterds like that often upgrade to assaulting humans.

Paul R Getto 1 year, 6 months ago

Tie his legs together and leave him by the curb for the trash trucks.