Archive for Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lawrence man arrested on animal cruelty charge

October 25, 2012

A 23-year-old Lawrence man was arrested early Wednesday morning at Lawrence Memorial Hospital on a charge of animal cruelty.

Lawrence police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said an anonymous caller reported a dog squealing and lying on the ground in the 800 block of Michigan Street. Animal control officers responded just after 1:30 a.m. and found a yelping dog, which was unable to stand because of a plastic tie, or flex cuff, tied around its back legs.

The dog also did not have any food, water or shelter. Animal control workers removed the plastic tie from the dog, which did not suffer any broken bones, Murphree said.

Police then received a report of a man being treated at LMH for a dog bite. They interviewed the man and arrested him.

The man was booked in Douglas County Jail and released on a $750 bond.

Comments

Paul R Getto 2 years, 1 month ago

Tie his legs together and leave him by the curb for the trash trucks.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree. Let a couple of really big dogs drag him over there by some sensitive parts.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

Sick basterds like that often upgrade to assaulting humans.

Orwell 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, but I don't believe you, ma'am.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Consumer1 is havin' a harder & harder time pickin' a fight . Why he constantly wants to do that is beyond me.

meggers 2 years, 1 month ago

There is NO valid reason for someone to tie a dog's back legs together so that they are lying helpless, probably in pain, and unable to walk or defend themselves. It doesn't strike me as a rush to judgement to call a person who did such a thing a worthless piece of garbage.

James Hardie 2 years, 1 month ago

What if we had to received the judgment we dish out to others? Let the paid professionals handle this. This could be his dog and his lame idea of how to punish/obedience train his animal.

Jenni Allen 2 years, 1 month ago

there is no inn, or women or childrenocense when ppl. abuse animals

Shelley Bock 2 years, 1 month ago

There is a strong correlation between people who abuse, torture animals and those that are involved in brutality towards humans or are murderers.

Seems like consumer1 thinks that he is the only virtuous person around ascribing all evil to liberals. He is so confused.

Shelley Bock 2 years, 1 month ago

Experience as a prosecutor and defense attorney for 30 years. And, in chatting with psychologists and policemen.

Shelley Bock 2 years, 1 month ago

For your review. http://www.incasa.org/PDF/2011/animal_human_violence.pdf

An interesting survey of studies, including such non-CNN sources as the FBI. Animal abuse is utilized as a key for profiling serial killers and rapists.

Other sources are found by googling.

Armored_One 2 years, 1 month ago

Which documented study would you prefer? As a student of psychology, I've read over 20, all coming to much the same conclusion.

Fatty_McButterpants 2 years, 1 month ago

Innocent until proven guilty is a courtroom standard, consumer1. Last I checked, this was not a courtroom.

Armored_One 2 years, 1 month ago

It might not be a court of law, but it is, in part, the jury pool.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 1 month ago

I would have totally understood if this had been done to a cat.

Orwell 2 years, 1 month ago

"More double standard, knee jerk Liberal rhetoric huh?"

We learned from an expert.

Russell Fryberger 2 years, 1 month ago

I called the police Saturday to a dog left in a car at Kansas Speedway. The dog was in the car for at least 5 hours before I made the call. The cops got there and I left so I don't know what became of the situation. Felt good to make that call because I was tempted to commit a felony and just remove the dog and take it home with me. Idiots don't need pets they need other idiots.

parrothead8 2 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to see your evidence that some of the above "poster's" are quick to say "wait for the facts" when someone is accused of raping and beating a woman. And please don't quote Fox News for facts.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

It may have been a crime to take the dog home with you. But, if after having called the police, you, in good faith believed the dog to be in distress, you could have simply broke out the window of the car. At a minimum, it would have guaranteed the owner would suffer some consequence.

lawdog 2 years, 1 month ago

I would have made such a big ruckus until Security and/or Police showed up! I think there are enough of us dog lovers who would pitch in for bail out money in this particular case.

Randall Uhrich 2 years, 1 month ago

At least the dog wasn't penned in a cage on top of a car for a 10-hour trip. Now that guy should have been arrested.

patkindle 2 years, 1 month ago

it is so easy to bait a liberal , that it is hardly even worthwhile

butterflylvr 2 years, 1 month ago

People like this make me sick. Why get an animal if you hate them so much. I can only hope that this....."guy" has a crappy life and get some sort of payback for what he did. I hope that this poor dog gets a new happy home.

blindrabbit 2 years, 1 month ago

consumer1; You goin for the record number of lame comments on one subject within a 24 hour period. Not close, not because of the lameness but I'll but Sageie/NancyBoy/TomS would win out on both counts and irrevalence.

townie42 2 years, 1 month ago

So did the dog bite him before or after he zip-tied its legs?

Lenette Hamm 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm all for punishment fitting the crime, even if the guy was bitten. He probably did something to aggravate the dog to begin with. So instead of putting him in jail and then letting him go, tie HIS feet and hands up, and leave him on the side of the road to fend for himself. Same thing goes for anyone who physically or sexually abuses a child or an older, vulnerable person. Treat them the same as their victims were treated...

agrabass 2 years, 1 month ago

The dog should have gone for his jugular...just sayin'.

Jenni Allen 2 years, 1 month ago

i agre e sickos shouldn't have pets and also consumor 1, your thoughts are dumb give it up chill out

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 1 month ago

when the LJW finally publishes this guy's name, they should do so in a large font and perhaps leave it on the main page for a day or two.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 1 month ago

here is his Douglas County Sheriff's Office booking #, for those interested

12-4415

www.dgso.org

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 1 month ago

I detest abusers of any kind. Be it animals, or people.