Archive for Monday, October 22, 2012

Victim, suspect in shotgun incident identified

October 22, 2012

Police have identified the victim and suspect involved in a shotgun-wielding incident Thursday at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway, Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley said.

Police were originally called to the area after witnesses reported seeing a black male brandishing a shotgun in the parking lot about noon. The suspect fled in a vehicle, and police were initially unable to locate the victim.

McKinley said police will continue to interview the suspect, victim and any witnesses, but no arrests have been made yet.

Comments

shaunepec 1 year, 9 months ago

Police have yet to release that info.

Shaun Ljw

Anthony Mall 1 year, 9 months ago

Sooooo the point of releasing this statement was......... Nice to know you identified the witness last week giving first and last name yet have no info on the suspect or victim??? Remind me to never give you my info!!! Pathetic!!!

Christine Anderson 1 year, 9 months ago

I think there's a good chance that the name given for one of several witnesses was a pseudonym.

Alex Parker 1 year, 9 months ago

The witness who spoke to us last week did give his real name. He later requested that his name be removed, and we honored that request.

Alex Parker Digital editor

irvan moore 1 year, 9 months ago

i really don't feel more informed

costello 1 year, 9 months ago

I feel more informed. I was starting to believe the whole thing was a misunderstanding. Now I know there was an actual victim and an actual suspect.

somebodynew 1 year, 9 months ago

The Other Side:

If this information was NOT released and the question was a Sound Off question as to what progress had been made, all you would be on here lambasting the PD for not keeping everyone informed (we have the RIGHT to know everything, all the time) and no trasparency.

Here, they let us know they have actually made progress, know who the actors are, there is probably no great danger to the general public and they get blasted (along with the LJW for printing it)...

Not that it surprises me on here, but geesssh.....

Thank you PD and LJW. As for not releasing the names, that is pretty much standard operating procedure.

Christine Anderson 1 year, 9 months ago

So, they know who they are, but would they like to know "where" one of them was about midnight last night?

skinny 1 year, 9 months ago

Somebodynew, you are wrong, even if the Police Department had released the information the LJWorld would still would not print the names. Which is not standard operating procedure! All one has to do is read the Topeka Capital, Kansas City Star or Manhattan Mercury to see how backwards the LJWorld is in its local news reporting. No daily court records, no daily arrest logs, no daily accident report logs, and no daily Fire Department logs. I could go on and on but I'll let it go at that.

When I first moved to Lawrence it didn't take me long to figure out if one wanted to know what was going on in this town you’d have to read the Topeka or Kansas City paper!

somebodynew 1 year, 9 months ago

Skinny, OK, I do agree with you on the LJW policy. What I was trying to say (not very well) was that was SOP for LPD. They won't release the names while still under investigation. Sorry for the confusion.