Archive for Sunday, October 21, 2012

Free State, LHS bands honored at festival

October 21, 2012

Both Lawrence Free State High School and Lawrence High School took home honors at the Heartland of America Marching Festival at Memorial Stadium on Saturday.

Nineteen Kansas and Missouri high school bands participated in the competition sponsored by Kansas University Band and the Kansas Musical Education Association.

Lawrence High placed third among Division I schools and received an Outstanding distinction in the category of music. Free State placed first among Division II schools.

Comments

hail2oldku 1 year, 11 months ago

Great job by all of the schools competing in the festival. I was especially impressed by both of the local schools, but of course I am biased.

Always good to see the two local schools supporting each other as they did on Saturday.

Paul Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

When you break them into 5 divisions...no one gets lower than 3rd. Everyone places and only two schools received lower than a "superior" or 1 on a scale of 1-4. If this is a "festival" the great. But this is not competition. This is trying to make everyone feel special. ...and with everyone special......no one is.

yourneighbor 1 year, 11 months ago

There were 4 divisions and there were 10 bands competing in Division I.. It was a competition and the kids from both schools worked hard and it showed.

Mehriheart 1 year, 11 months ago

Why are you belittling the hard work and dedication of these hard working students? These competitions last all day with a lot of different schools competing. To better judge schools are placed in divisions, from my understanding it was based on our schools size. Also if I remember correctly the points are judge across the board, the highest points overall the divisions are grand champions. We live in a town with an excellent music program don't take it for granted.

SWJayhawk13 1 year, 11 months ago

As someone who participated in HoA in high school, don't knock it. It's a very big deal, and they tend to spend all year working towards it (or similar competitions).

This article didn't necessarily explain things very well. There were 22 schools that competed, from all across the state (and a few from MO). They were assigned to divisions based on the size of the band (which usually has to do with the size of the school). Some divisions are bigger than others. Every band receives a rating. "1" is superior, and so on. But there are also specific awards given for things like best drumline, colorguard, execution of drill, etc. Finally, there is an award given to the band that wins Grand Champion (based on the total number of points earned in their performance). Any band in any division can win it. And for the record, I was at HoA, and there weren't "only two schools that received lower than a 1."

I don't know why you feel like you need to mock a bunch of hard-working high school kids. They should all be proud of their accomplishments at HoA.

SWJayhawk13 1 year, 11 months ago

Does anyone know why LHS was in Division I but Freestate was Division II? When I was in high school, we were both Division I bands. I didn't think that Freestate's band was that much smaller than LHS's.

Also, way to go LHS! As a former LHS Marching Lion, thanks for carrying on the tradition of musical excellence!

hail2oldku 1 year, 11 months ago

The Divisions were based on the number of wind instruments in each band. Free State's band didn't meet the size requirement to march in Divsion I.

I wish the had a link to the scoring sheets like they have had in the past. It would be interesting to see just where everyone would have ranked if it had been just one open event, but then you probably would lose a number of schools competing since the bigger bands (usually equating to the bigger schools/districts) have more resources to them