Archive for Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lawrence police searching for man with shotgun

October 18, 2012, 12:57 p.m. Updated October 18, 2012, 5:26 p.m.

Lawrence police are looking for a black male spotted brandishing a shotgun near the HyVee, 3504 Clinton Parkway, Thursday around noon.

Lawrence police work outside HyVee, 3504 Clinton Parkway, after witnesses reported a man with a shotgun in the area.

Witnesses reported seeing two men engaged in a disturbance in the parking lot on the east side of the store, and one of them had a shotgun, said Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley.

Police believe the suspect fled in a vehicle. However, police have yet to locate the other man involved.

A witness who asked not to be named said he was driving west on Clinton Parkway toward Kasold Drive when he saw two men on the northwest corner of Clinton Parkway. He said one man drew a shotgun from a black bag and pointed it at the other man.

"He just stood there," the witness said of the man at whom the gun was pointed. "That's all I saw because I was turning. As soon as I saw him, I took off real fast."

McKinley said police are checking any surveillance cameras in the area, and they hope to release a better suspect and vehicle description.

McKinley is also asking any witnesses, who may have fled during the incident, to contact police at 830-7430

Check LJWorld.com for more information as it is available.

Comments

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

Try the cheddar jalapeno bread while you are there and please don't shoot the nice old lady who works on the express lane!!

Bob Forer 2 years, 1 month ago

I am not surprised that you are also racists. Right wing extremism and racism seem to go hand-in-hand.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 1 month ago

Shut up, SageonPage. It wasn't funny at all.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 2 years, 1 month ago

The article said it was a black bag, not a black man.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it said black bag 50 minutes ago. But it does say black male now.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 2 years, 1 month ago

They update articles...I was replying to comment that was made before it was edited. Makes sense huh?

ksjayhawk74 2 years, 1 month ago

MarcoPogo 2 years, 1 month ago

What other names did they use besides "troll"?

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Trolls & tailgaters, man. I mean whaddya gonna do. Haters gonna hate & drivers won't be late.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

autie, what sort of feathered varmits are in season now?

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Now help me here . . . "inflamous"

Is that like it'll burn? Or won't burn?

(All those years of haz-mat training . . . you'd think I woulda got it.)

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 2 years, 1 month ago

What did the Panthers have to do with anything?

2 years, 1 month ago

"People with WEAPONS where they should NOT BE!"

It's open carry. Dude has a right to carry his gun anywhere he wants to be, unless the owners of said property have installed state regulation signs.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

The code of Liberalism that says all zombies must be flushed!

Anthony Mall 2 years, 1 month ago

Could LJ World remove the students last name??? Now all we have is big man with a shot-gun looking for my friend!!! Just saying....

Alex Parker 2 years, 1 month ago

Your comment was off-topic and in my view racially tinged.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 2 years, 1 month ago

Though I'm not the one who suggested removal, I thank you Alex.

Katara 2 years, 1 month ago

Are you going to address the other racially tinged comments SageonPage has made on other threads or is this just an attempt to make it look like you actually moderate this forum?

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe a sequel? (no worries LJW as this is the clean rated for all audiences trailer)

Alex Parker 2 years, 1 month ago

If you can tell me what Eric Holder has to do with this event, I may reconsider.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh, come on, Sage, you're nothing but a troll, and your trolling has gotten you disappeared from this site numerous times. And your barely controlled rage will likely get you removed again, probably sooner rather than later.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

No kidding! What is the moderator thinking by actually moderating?

Republicans seem to have issues with moderators these days.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

I remember a guy who had comments removed because they were "racially tinged." He was eventually removed altogether--banned, they call it--, but he came back under another name. "Racially tinged" comments were then removed, then he was removed altogether once again. Then he came back again ... and again ... and ...

Well, you get the picture.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 1 month ago

"Why are you and the liberals on this site so concerned about trying to find out who the other posters are unless they plan to do something froward?"

Oh, we know who you are. It was obvious from your very first posts.

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 1 month ago

Time to quit whining and put on your big girl panties and buy your own newspaper to spew your hatred, racism and bigotry. Of course, on the other hand, your comments have convinced hundreds to vote Obama, so keep on spewin'. In fact, if we could send you on tour to the swing states and encourage you to tell the full story of your twisted perspective, you'd see Republicans line up to distance themselves from you and your ilk.

Katara 2 years, 1 month ago

SageonPage is right. IF what you said is true about what is "racially tinged", you have missed a TON of comments that SageonPage has made the short time he has been on your site.

Katara 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh sure, because the best way to demonstrate your opposition to Socialism/Communism is to post birther bunk.

Your racist strategy to potray the President as something he is not (Kenyan and Muslim) is failing hugely on the national level. Sooner or later, those dog whistles you keep blowing are going to be too filled with your froth for them to work.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Man up, sage. You got one yanked.bfd, move on.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

Now that reads like a comment that should be removed!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm afraid that if I had to hunt with pointy sticks, I'd starve 'fore I got the hang of it.

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

Our fall festival is at hand and I'm fleeing it to go hunt ducks on the Walnut river above the Cheyenne Bottoms. That's the good news. The bad news is that the forecast highs out there are in the 80's this weekend. Dang. Oh, well, we're taking metal detectors and will hit some old school and homestead sites as well as a verified Custer campsite. Thet metal detecting is just like hunting: go expecting the worst and if you get anything, it's all good!

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

What's a conservative got to do to get yanked around here? (Oh, wait. Off topic . . . )

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

Why don't you guys argue more about whether he came from Topeka and less about his skin?

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

I gots a old style propane bottle bout half full I'm thinking I'll shoot. One round of .308 AP followed by a round of tracer oughta do it. From about 300 yards.

2 years, 1 month ago

Big deal. Someone saw a black guy with a shotgun. Guess what? Black people have Second Amendment rights, too. Open carry is everybody's law.

Maybe he was just asking for directions to Overland Park?

engagedecoy 2 years, 1 month ago

"drew a shotgun from a black bag and pointed it at the other man."

Why do you need to point a shotgun at a man to ask for directions?

2 years, 1 month ago

"drew a shotgun from a black bag and pointed it at the other man."

Said an anonymous "witness" who admits he was scared and purposely drove away without seeing what the result of the exchange was. It's just possible that there was a perfectly legal sale involved, maybe even of a shotgun. I've bought rifles in the WalMart parking lot before and it could have looked exactly the same.

If someone went to the police and claimed that another man pointed a shotgun at him or threatened him, that's one thing. But an imagined "crime" that occurs out of the sight of a fleeing witness is hardly a story, no?

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Probably just a walking stick/cane. You know how it is . . . some hunters think every stick looks like antlers, some people think every stick looks like a gun.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

"..I know the b.a.c. of this person via nurses in the e.r. the night of the episode..." HIPPA violation!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

If off-topic posts are going to be disappeareded, then these threads are gonna start looking awful empty.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Walt is blacksmith extraordinaire. Made a gate for me. Hopin' it helps some with the zombies.

50YearResident 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it was a Craig List sale of a shotgun in which the meeting place for the sale was a neutral place, which in this case was the store parking lot. That kind of transaction is legal, The seller had the gun in a black gun case, took it out to show the buyer. The buyer bought the gun and they both left the area. Seems logical to me. Maybe the sky is not falling after all.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

I bet it was Hawk & Spenser getting ready to take somebody down.

BlueWaffle 2 years, 1 month ago

Later.......

Ummm the witness took off but gosh nab it I'm gonna let ljworld know what I saw? Does this not add up to anyone else.

Anthony Mall 2 years, 1 month ago

"Witnesses" didn't clue you in that there was more than one account of what happen???

BlueWaffle 2 years, 1 month ago

Basic human psychology will inform you that if you have two witnesses to anything there are 3 stories. What person A perceived to happen What person B perceived to happen What actually happened

otto 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm a little more concerned why the cops went to the wrong Hy Vee -- no wonder they didn't find him.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 1 month ago