Archive for Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lawrence police searching for man with shotgun

October 18, 2012, 12:57 p.m. Updated October 18, 2012, 5:26 p.m.

Lawrence police are looking for a black male spotted brandishing a shotgun near the HyVee, 3504 Clinton Parkway, Thursday around noon.

Lawrence police work outside HyVee, 3504 Clinton Parkway, after witnesses reported a man with a shotgun in the area.

Witnesses reported seeing two men engaged in a disturbance in the parking lot on the east side of the store, and one of them had a shotgun, said Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley.

Police believe the suspect fled in a vehicle. However, police have yet to locate the other man involved.

A witness who asked not to be named said he was driving west on Clinton Parkway toward Kasold Drive when he saw two men on the northwest corner of Clinton Parkway. He said one man drew a shotgun from a black bag and pointed it at the other man.

"He just stood there," the witness said of the man at whom the gun was pointed. "That's all I saw because I was turning. As soon as I saw him, I took off real fast."

McKinley said police are checking any surveillance cameras in the area, and they hope to release a better suspect and vehicle description.

McKinley is also asking any witnesses, who may have fled during the incident, to contact police at 830-7430

Check LJWorld.com for more information as it is available.

Comments

consumer1 1 year, 6 months ago

Scene in parking lot. Two guys standing by their cars talking about hunting. One guy says to the other "yeah man, I just got a new winchest pump"! Other guy, " Dude, let me check it out" First guy, "Okay, here it is man, check it out". Car drives by with weak kneed liberal behind wheel. " OMG... I gotta call the cop's there was a black guy holding a gun" OMG!!!!

Christine Anderson 1 year, 6 months ago

otto 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm a little more concerned why the cops went to the wrong Hy Vee -- no wonder they didn't find him.

BlueWaffle 1 year, 6 months ago

Later.......

Ummm the witness took off but gosh nab it I'm gonna let ljworld know what I saw? Does this not add up to anyone else.

rockchalker52 1 year, 6 months ago

I bet it was Hawk & Spenser getting ready to take somebody down.

50YearResident 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe it was a Craig List sale of a shotgun in which the meeting place for the sale was a neutral place, which in this case was the store parking lot. That kind of transaction is legal, The seller had the gun in a black gun case, took it out to show the buyer. The buyer bought the gun and they both left the area. Seems logical to me. Maybe the sky is not falling after all.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

"If off-topic posts are going to be disappeareded, then these threads are gonna start looking awful empty." Snap

Yeah, I didn't get that line of reasoning at all that Alex provided. There are only so many comments the commentariate can make about a vague story about a guy with a gun.

rockchalker52 1 year, 6 months ago

Walt is blacksmith extraordinaire. Made a gate for me. Hopin' it helps some with the zombies.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 6 months ago

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

"Probably just a walking stick/cane. You know how it is . . . some hunters think every stick looks like antlers, some people think every stick looks like a gun." Roed

Or samuria sword. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/blind-man-tasered-police-mistake-white-stick-samurai-195650698.html

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

"I gots a old style propane bottle bout half full I'm thinking I'll shoot. One round of .308 AP followed by a round of tracer oughta do it. From about 300 yards." Roed

I have a defunct beer fridge sitting on my back stoop that I need to dispose of. Ronaldo didn't want to make a bomb out of it. Would you be interested in it? I could drop it off and deliver Season 2 of Justified.

"Now calling someone annoying gets a post removed. Alex you really need to loosen up."

Krichards - I have no problem with you, but you did call Alex a twerp. It is their sandbox with their rules.

Keith Richards 1 year, 6 months ago

1 year, 6 months ago

Big deal. Someone saw a black guy with a shotgun. Guess what? Black people have Second Amendment rights, too. Open carry is everybody's law.

Maybe he was just asking for directions to Overland Park?

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

and more important, who is Walt? Surely not Uncle Walt.

Have you ever shot a spray paint can with a large caliber weapon so as to make pretty pictures? I hear it is all the rage. Maybe the dude was an artist...creating in HyVee's parking lot..?? Huh? It has been such a long time since I've been on a trade route.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 6 months ago

This is what threading causes and why we can't have nice things.

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

Why don't you guys argue more about whether he came from Topeka and less about his skin?

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

What's a conservative got to do to get yanked around here? (Oh, wait. Off topic . . . )

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

"Alex? Shaun? Whomever has their hand on the 'Liberal Lever' " Sage

Dude, I'm not a liberal (or conservative) and I got yanked as well. Perhaps they know you keep coming back under new names after getting banned and thus, are on the Sketchy List with me.

And KRichards' post above this isn't going to last.

There is no agenda. The moderators are probably wishing the election was yesterday.

Keith Richards 1 year, 6 months ago

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

I can! I can!..Eric Holder has absolutely nothing to do with a man and a gun at HyVee....But I lost interest when I didn't see anything about a ford escort in the getaway.

Snap, down here there ain't no feathered nothing in season right now this minute, them boys are out playing Robin Hood flangin them sharp sticks at deer.

rockchalker52 1 year, 6 months ago

Man up, sage. You got one yanked.bfd, move on.

SageonPage 1 year, 6 months ago

Alex- You should not be the judge of what is 'off topic'. More than half the comments on this story are off topic, you are not being forthright. You also are not the judge of what in 'your view' is racially tinged. IF what you just said is true, you have missed a TON of comments made the short time I have been on your site. Your proclivities are glaring.

somedude20 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe a sequel? (no worries LJW as this is the clean rated for all audiences trailer)

SageonPage 1 year, 6 months ago

Alex? Shaun? Whomever has their hand on the 'Liberal Lever' of don't expose my friends in politics at the moment...? This behavior was reflected when Candy Crowley jumped in to save poor defenseless Obuma in the last debate, then later apologized with egg on her face.

reality_check79 1 year, 6 months ago

Could LJ World remove the students last name??? Now all we have is big man with a shot-gun looking for my friend!!! Just saying....

SageonPage 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone care to explain why my comment was expunged? Really, the Monitors are showing their true colors, there was not a SINGLE rule violation in that post. It is a fact that AG Eric Holder let off the hook Black Panthers carrying clubs at a voter hall in Philadelphia. Is the monitor who took down my post going to deny that happened?? You people are getting ridiculous, is this an open forum or not? What code of Liberalism are you abiding by? Good grief!

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

Now help me here . . . "inflamous"

Is that like it'll burn? Or won't burn?

(All those years of haz-mat training . . . you'd think I woulda got it.)

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

does that make him inflamous?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

"What other names did they use besides "troll"?"

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

rockchalker52 1 year, 6 months ago

Trolls & tailgaters, man. I mean whaddya gonna do. Haters gonna hate & drivers won't be late.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 6 months ago

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 6 months ago

The article said it was a black bag, not a black man.

Christine Anderson 1 year, 6 months ago

Shut up, SageonPage. It wasn't funny at all.

Amy Heeter 1 year, 6 months ago

Check Heatherwood and Peppertree.

g_rock 1 year, 6 months ago

Glad I skipped my lunchtime grocery store trip....

somedude20 1 year, 6 months ago

Try the cheddar jalapeno bread while you are there and please don't shoot the nice old lady who works on the express lane!!