Archive for Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kansas rolls out new driver’s license

October 16, 2012, 11:04 a.m. Updated October 16, 2012, 3:18 p.m.

Kansans will soon see a new driver's license with increased security features to guard against counterfeiting and fraud.

— Kansas driver's licenses are getting a new look and added security features to guard against counterfeiting and fraud.

The Department of Revenue showed off the new design at an event Tuesday with Gov. Sam Brownback and Revenue Secretary Nick Jordan. The changes include how the information is presented and additional security features hidden from the naked eye.

"This is really all about security," Jordan said.

The fraudulent cards can be manufactured and obtained by criminals who engage in identity theft or human trafficking, he said.

Motorists will begin receiving the new licenses this week. Among the elements are photographs embedded on the back of the card that are visible only with ultraviolet light. Also gone is the black magnetic strip that once contained driver information.

For the first time the card has raised features that are difficult to duplicate, color photos of the Statehouse and sunflower, and two images of the cardholder on the front.

Kansas updates its driver's licenses every four to six years as technology changes. Donna Shelite, the state's director of vehicles, said the new licenses were part of ongoing technology and process changes aimed at improving security and customer service. For example, a change made in recent years ensures only one staff person handles a customer's business from start to finish to keep data secure.

As is the current practice, the new licenses are mailed to residents within days of applying with the state. Drivers receive a printed slip of paper until the new cards arrive, as has been standard practice for several years, she said. The fee for a new license is $29 while renewals are $26. The cost of producing the new cards goes from about $2.70 per unit for the state to $4.31, though the cost was covered by a 2004 fee increase.

Dean Reynoldson, head of the Kansas Alcohol Beverage Control division that also oversees the investigation of driver's license fraud, said bars, restaurants and liquor stores won't need any additional equipment to determine if the license is authentic. He demonstrated with a small, hand-held black light that cost about $20, he said, which illuminated the cardholder's photo on the back of the license.

Reynoldson said Kansas licenses were among the most secure in the nation and that counterfeiters typically gravitate to states where technology and safety measures are lacking.

"Most of the driver's license fraud that we see is not by underage people," he said. "It's a way to stay ahead of the curve."

The new cards only contain information collected by the state for driving purposes, but includes whether the individual is a registered sex offender, as required by law. No voter registration information, such as if the cardholder is receiving other benefits or services from the state or if they have outstanding criminal warrants, is available from the new license.

Comments

hyperinflate 2 years, 2 months ago

Please enlighten the tin-foil hat crowd as to whether there is an RFID "prox" chip in the card.

Admittedly, the idea of a Brownback administration tracking my whereabouts is a bit creepy.

frankfussman 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm waiting for the Sam Brownback photo to be part of the driver's license.

tomatogrower 2 years, 2 months ago

I dont' know your job situation, but I went in the morning, and it took less than an hour. In fact, I had brought a book, and was disappointed that I didn't get to read more.

somedude20 2 years, 2 months ago

Ole Liz is looking good..heck, she almost looks nekid

Betty Bartholomew 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh, goodie, bad license photos in quadruplicate. At least the one on the back requires UV to see.

Wonder if they've gotten rid of that holographic logo that tended to obscure the name and address info. I see a lot of licenses in my job and that logo makes it very difficult to read them.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 2 months ago

Does not bother me a bit as I have nothing to hide. Let them track my whereabouts, I really don't care.

RubyVrooom 2 years, 2 months ago

Dang it, now I'm going to have to buy a new vertical wallet!

But really, if the magnetic strip and the info it contained has been eliminated, what was it replaced with? And what information does it contain?

mdlund0 2 years, 2 months ago

Vertical for under 21, horizontal for over 21. Magnetic strip not necessary... 2-D bar-code on back contains all information necessary. Information in bar-code is only what is printed on card, only there for easy input into computerized systems (e.g. airport check-in terminals and the like)... unless, that is, you're a conspiracy theorist, then it contains information about everything you've ever done, including doctor's visits, college transcripts, deepest wants and desires, etc.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 2 months ago

Republicans certainly are the best at big government and wasting dollars. They believe the words "security" or terrorist" justifies more big government than ever and funneling more tax dollars to their corporate campaign supporters. Neither Nick Jordan nor Sam Brownback can be trusted.

Terrorism occurs under the watch of republicans..... 9/11/01.

Fraud occurs under the watch of republicans .... home loan scams under Reagan/Bush and Bush/Cheney

Smuggling weapons to the enemy occurs under the watch of republicans .... Iran Contra

Illegal spying on Americans occurs big time under republicans ...... Nixon's Watergate is but one example

I'd say the foxes are in the chicken coop ..... being paid by taxpayers at the state house

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Does it say anything about "Alicia" back in '67? I'd just as soon forget about that one . . .

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 2 months ago

"No,,, information, such as,,, if they have outstanding criminal warrants, is available from the new license."

It would be totally amazing if your driver's license changed while in your possession within your wallet if a criminal warrant was issued for you, and you had not been apprehended yet.

Amazing, but not impossible, I suppose.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 2 months ago

Do I trust this group of thugs? No I don't.

Can the owners of the drivers license verify what is on the license?

gccs14r 2 years, 2 months ago

So is the new license REAL ID compliant?

Tracy Rogers 2 years, 2 months ago

They can get your name, and then what would it take....about 15 seconds to Google it and get your address?

sciencegeek 2 years, 2 months ago

Better get that new license while you can. The people who brought you the disastrous system for renewing car tags is due to implement a new system for issuing driver licenses in January!

verity 2 years, 2 months ago

Thirty years ago, in New Mexico, I lost my driver's license and went to apply for a new one. They made the new one on the spot. Kansas is behind New Mexico of 30 years ago.

kuguardgrl13 2 years, 2 months ago

Pennsylvania also does theirs right in the DMV office. Or at least they were back in the 90s and early 2000s. Maybe things have changed in recent years with security.

gccs14r 2 years, 2 months ago

KS used to make them on the spot. The new methods and materials are more specialized and they want to keep tighter control over access to limit fraudulent use.

verity 2 years, 2 months ago

Do you know what years those were? I don't remember that, but I haven't lived in Kansas all my life.

gccs14r 2 years, 2 months ago

My old licenses are packed away somewhere, but I think it was less than 12 years ago.

John Hamm 2 years, 2 months ago

Why no comments on the Iris scan when they take your photo - please remove your glasses, no your eyes can't be crossed........

arylwren 2 years, 2 months ago

"For the first time the card has ... color photos of the Statehouse and sunflower, and two images of the cardholder on the front."

I don't know about anyone else, but I see wheat instead of a sunflower and 3 pictures of the cardholder on the front.

But maybe that's just me...