From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Oct. 15, 1987:
The abandoned Theta Chi fraternity house at 1329 W. Ninth was in the sights of a Salina architecture firm. John Shaver, senior partner of The Shaver Partnership, Salina, had applied on Oct. 6 for a permit to tear down the old fraternity house to make room for a new apartment complex. Several hurdles needed to be cleared before construction could begin, including a financial feasibility study for the new complex. Besides the demolition permit, the project also needed city approval of a new plat and site plan. The abandoned three-story building, built in 1958, was located on the site of Lawrence's windmill, which had burned in 1905. The house had been abandoned in 1971 and was later auctioned for $500 in a sheriff's sale.