Archive for Friday, October 12, 2012

City condemns 24-unit apartment building on West 26th Street, issues eviction notices

The Court 26 Apartments building located at 1821 W. 26th St. has been condemned by city inspectors because of unsafe and unsanitary conditions. Occupants have been given until Oct. 22 to vacate the property.

October 12, 2012

Backed-up sewage, widespread mold and other life-safety issues have caused the city to condemn all 24 apartments in a building in southern Lawrence, leaving more than a dozen households seeking a new place to live.

City inspectors began the condemnation process Friday morning at 1821 W. 26th St. Brian Jimenez, code enforcement manager for the city, said 13 of the 24 apartments were occupied, and the city has set a tentative date of Oct. 22 as a date for residents to vacate the apartments.

“There are hallways that have mushrooms growing out of the carpets and the baseboards,” Jimenez said. “Overall, the building is in bad shape. It is safe to say in this situation we have a property owner who isn’t taking care of business as he should.”

Tax records show the apartment building is owned by Park Plaza South Partnership. A search of the Kansas Secretary of State’s business database doesn’t show information for the company, but the tax bills for the property are mailed to an address for Jayhawk Property Management. Jimenez said the city has been working with Rex Tedrow, who is a principal in Jayhawk Property Management. An attempt to reach Tedrow wasn’t successful Friday afternoon.

Jimenez said his department has been in contact with Tedrow for more than a year about a defective roof on the building. Jimenez said tenant complaints at the apartment building grew, and city officials conducted an apartment-by-apartment inspection on Thursday.

“The poor conditions are pretty widespread throughout the facility,” Jimenez said. “The issues just haven’t been corrected for quite some time.”

Jimenez said the city will try to work with the residents who are being displaced, but as city officials learned when they recently condemned a North Lawrence trailer park, charitable resources to help residences displaced by code problems are scarce.

“Unfortunately, there really is no emergency funding within Douglas County for this,” said Jimenez. “We’re cognizant that this impacts tenants who really haven’t done anything wrong. We just try to extend deadlines when we can and work with people. We don’t want to create homelessness.”

Comments

SageonPage 2 years ago

I don't know all the facts, but when someone wants inexpensive housing they sometimes are willing to accept less than stellar maintenance in exchange for more money in the pocket. Now the City is kicking people out of a place they chose to live in, and this will cause a hardship on most of them. Rents in this town are way too HIGH.

John Hamm 2 years ago

Problem is somebody or bodies complained to the City on more than one occasion. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.......... Now everybody is affected.

parrothead8 2 years ago

"...tenant complaints at the apartment building grew..."

Sounds like they didn't choose to live under those conditions.

budwhysir 2 years ago

sometimes people dont choose to live there, maybe they chose to live there instead of choosing to live on the street. Maybe when they moved in they chose to live in a less maintained building as long as there was no mold or wild fungus growing and then over time these things came right along with an increase in rent costs..... maybe now they are choosing to complain about a place that is now worse than it was when they chose to move in.... sometimes our choices are reflected in our actions towards things that have gone downhill overtime.

Beth Ennis 2 years ago

but who knows how long they have been living there. The conditions may not have been that bad a year or 2 ago. A leaking roof and damp conditions can deteriorate a building really fast. They may have also been told that these things would get fixed, but never were. It's not just a choice of living cheap. These conditions can cause life threatening illnesses. People can die from exposure to mold in buildings. So, I guess the city should wait until someone dies and their family sues the city for not condemning the building. Then we can all pay higher taxes to pay the money the family would get.

snook3200 2 years ago

because it is not the tenants that choose to live there causing the problems. it is the ones that get evicted. get it?

2 years ago

I agree rent is to high but alot of people don't chose to live there, there stuck there because they have nowhere else to go. I use to live in the boardwalk appartments right before my very building burned and it was only because we help that we moved.

scaramouchepart2 2 years ago

SageonPage. Mushrooms growing in the carpet is not a healthy place to live. A person who does not maintain their place is a disgrace. The rent more than liklely far more than it should be. We don't have cheap housing. You really do believe only the elite should be allowed a decent living. No one should have to pay for such conditions. This is not about the people having no other choice, this is about the maintance of the place, this is criminal. Why should anyone who pays expect these conditions. The questions is why are the managers or even owners not being investigated? Who else are they treating with such disdain and disregard for their health?

parrothead8 2 years ago

"Jimenez said his department has been in contact with Tedrow for more than a year about a defective roof on the building..."

Anyone who can't figure out the difference between "more than a year" and "overnight" doesn't understand life.

scaramouchepart2 2 years ago

I have been one of them. Holes in the walls and nothing worked, but a health hazard. And just because they live there I am sure they would prefer a safe place. BUT this is not about those people, but an owner and manager who criminally are maintaining their property to the point of health issues. If the city demanded decent apartments then no one would be forced to chose unsafe living conditions. You really believe they would not want a safer place and the only rights they have to living is in a Kenyan like living conditions. Low rent does not mean unhealthily.

Cait McKnelly 2 years ago

This is in an area of town my husband calls "Little Beirut".

Hoots 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure this has to do with all the crazy stuff that happens in this area as apposed to any reference to who lives there. When people pull the race card all the time it becomes meaningless. What they are saying is it can be like a war zone. The history of this area is shots fired, stabbings, beatings, and drug arrests. For some reason this small area has attracted a disproportionate criminal element over the years.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

Rex, I yam disappoint. Pull your head out.

joes_donuts 2 years ago

Without know the details, many of the things listed are the landlords fault. But often times the tenants are also the ones to blame for trashing their apartments. When someone has lived in an apartment for over a year, and hasn't cleaned it once, it shouldn't fall on the landlord as providing inadaquite apartments.

Again, I am not privy to the details, but before you throw Rex under the bus, you need to also understand unsanitary conditions are often created by the tenants as well.

MISTERTibbs 2 years ago

“There are hallways that have mushrooms growing out of the carpets and the baseboards,” Jimenez said. “Overall, the building is in bad shape."

Common maintenance areas are the building owner/manager's responsibility. Rex stepped out in front of that bus.

snook3200 2 years ago

thank you. the tenants are dirty and you should see the way people treat him. give me a break. it is not a cake walk dealing with the tenants he deals with. he has a big heart. without him there would be alot more homeless in lawrence. straighten up people give him a break. help him out if you give a crap. stop judging. before you put people in the cold. the shelter is already packed. come on.

shadowlady 2 years ago

I bet the rent is "higher than a cats back", those are for the college students that can afford them.

SeaFox 2 years ago

I find this comment really amusing, since generally college students are supposed to be the poor ones. But I know what you really meant was "college students who have their well-off parents paying their way".

shadowlady 2 years ago

If the roof is leaking, that will cause mold and damage. If the plumbing is bad again this is damage, this is not the renters fault nor is it their job to fix it. That is the owners responsiblity. Yes rent in this town is way to high, and there a LOT of people that can not afford this high rent, so they are stuck with this kind of housing where they like it or not.

If someone complained and they rented there , they probably thought the city would make the owner fix it up, not kick them all out. Maybe the renters didn't realize it was bad enough to condemn.

middlemgmt 2 years ago

I think the city is paid a licensing fee by landlords. If I remember correctly the fee is suppose to be used for city inspectors to do regular checks on the property to insure that the property is being well maintained. The fee is based on the number on units. No doubt it's the landlords job to maintain the property, but it is also important for the city to do regular checks to make sure the maintenance is happening.

irvan moore 2 years ago

i'm thinkin' these people aren't going to be getting their deposits back either so will end up not being able to afford another apartment

caligal 2 years ago

600 is fine but for some they need utilities included for their income is not as much as you think....

kernal 2 years ago

If the mold the article refers to is brown or black mold, I hope someone at the City has advised the tenants what they need to do with any of their belongings that have been exposed to mold, like furniture, books, clothes, etc. Hopefully the Health Department will assist with that.

Loretta James 2 years ago

jayhawk owns lots of property like 25 to 26 an redbud they dont take care of those either maybe the inspector should head there next. i would say theres been no cleaning of carpet for years if mushrooms are growing.

SHAME SHAME ON THE OWNER-MANAGER

snook3200 2 years ago

you dont even know a thing. maybe when you know the details you can say shame. but rex has nothing to be ashamed for. he is a good man. the city is the one that should be ashamed for once again putting families out in the street just like the north side trailer court. this town is so judgemental it is ridiculous.

Amy Heeter 2 years ago

When a rental unit or a entire building is condemned it should be the owners that are responsible for the tenants moving expenses. This should be in addition to return of all deposits. Social service agencies should not have to find the funds.

ridikkulus 2 years ago

I agree completely. I was stuck in a house that was falling down around my ears, literally. When it rained, it rained inside one of the bedrooms, as well, and the damage just got progressively worse. Of course, black mold grew inside the walls and ceiling. I had a pleasant little "waterfall" in the basement, as well. Every time I said anything to the landlord, he blew me off like I was an idiot. When he came to finally look at the mold situation, he replaced a couple of boards, came back two days later, and basically told me I was crazy, because no mold was growing on those new boards. The city did condemn it, once I called them. Turned out that the place hadn't been inspected in NINE YEARS. When I asked about my deposit, he was incredibly rude and condescending, as he had always been, and in not so many words, told me he had to use my deposit to fix "cosmetic issues". In a condemned house? Really?

snook3200 2 years ago

really? do you think that will happen not with sunflower apartments there. the city is all against it. ha ha.

gccs14r 2 years ago

My now-wife got a slumlord shut down in Florida back in the 80s. The apartment she rented looked OK initially, but quickly deteriorated to the point of having exposed wires above the shower, among other things. She got a city inspector in who condemned the place, and ended up in a nicer place with state-subsidized rent for the balance of her lease.

The folks who need cheap housing understand that they're not going to live in pristine conditions, but there's a difference between needing a coat of paint or new carpet and having to live with mold and water damage every time it rains.

truemother 2 years ago

I am TRULY excited to see this building condemned. That my effort is noticed by the city. NOBODY deserves to live in these condition.

As far the roof, I knew people who live there in 2007. 3rd floor ceiling was bulging then.

I lived on the 2nd floor from Oct 2011 - May 2012. It rained into my daughters room February 3rd. The manager brought me a bottle of febreeze and a wet vacuum, so I could clean it up. I electricuted myself in March.

Yes its affordable 610 (utilities included) but at whose expense. I'm so glad that I got the city involved.

In 38 years of life, I have never seen cat litter grow mold within 3 hours. You wouldn't believe the growth of mold and sewage in the basement until you see the pictures.

I'm sorry that so many have to relocate, however, I hope they live a longer life.

Thank you City of Lawrence. Sorry it took so long. Rex thought I hated him. I don't hate him, I don't like the way he maintains this property.

Termcd4 2 years ago

Way to go TrueMother. YOU are a hero.

Babygirl10257191 2 years ago

For your information I lived in that building for a bout a year my mom brought the city inspectors in after the roof leaked into my younger sister bedroom and it flooded the room management only brought us a wet vac an a bottle of febreeze expecting us to clean it up after my mom recently getting home from the hospital. My mom electrocuted herself one night from flipping the light switch on! The sinks and toilets backed up the sewage was in the basement floating poop is disgusting and cat litter growing mold within 3 hrs of a cat pooping c'mon that's gotta tell ya something!!! My neighbors toilet was sitting in her bathroom for days before the landlord had someone come fix it. The stoves sucked they didn't work too great due to the electrical problems. There was ton of white and black mold. When we moved in we had to clean our own carpets I feel bad for my fellow neighbors that were friends because I doubt they get their deposits back:( Their so called "management" sucked!! They were complete wackjobs! Always starting stuffwith everybody they even tried to fire one of the Lpd officers. They stalked us even though we moved out they thought they owned the building and had every say about everything. Every time we pulled up to hang out with our fellow neighbor because she still lived there the cops got called on us thanks to the "management". I feel the sympathy for the other people living in the building who actually paid rent because they probably won't get any deposits back and won't know where to go next. I sure hope all of the slumlords get their buildings up to code!! Thank you to the state of Kansas I hope everyone has a blessed day

truemother 2 years ago

I understand it takes money to fix property, and he was already losing money on this property. BUT WHY allow people to live like this?

Take some money each month fix the problems ASAP. quit waiting on the building to fall down.

I know that the LPD and the city will be relieved that the building is condemned. It was a health hazard for everyone.

jhawk1998 2 years ago

Tenants should be assured housing through the remainder of their lease for the rate of their present lease. Landlord should be required to pay the difference of the rent for the former tenant in an apartment of his/her choice when they are displaced due to his providing a uninhabitable environment. That might not discourage future such situations but at least it makes the tenants whole.

verity 2 years ago

And moving costs, deposits, etc. recompense for the bother, replacement for all damaged property and any medical bills.

Tenants deserve that and it might make landlords think twice before doing this.

truemother 2 years ago

The down fall to this specific building, a majority of the tenants are on a month to month lease. Several were given a non-renewal of lease notice as of October 31. The utilities were shut off as of this past Monday for those tenants. The only way was to put them in their own names. Obviously some are not able to do this.

My beat friend and her 9 year old son have no heat or lights. Thank God they gave friends and family for overnight.

I don't know how legal that was.

I wish the best to all the other tenants

Amy Heeter 2 years ago

Diminished services is covered in KLTA. Not legal.

snook3200 2 years ago

legal if services are not in your name and you dont pay your rent. and you give proper notice. you dont get the proper details you wont get the proper answer. this is all legal. all leases state what will happen if you dont pay rent. if you cant get your electric in your name that is your problem. i guess that is why your living there to start with.

deec 2 years ago

Leases generally don't override state law. A lease clause that violates state law is unenforceable.

"58-2563. Unlawful removal or exclusion of tenant; diminished services; damages; security deposit. If the landlord unlawfully removes or excludes the tenant from the premises or willfully diminishes services to the tenant by interrupting or causing the interruption of electric, gas, water or other essential service to the tenant, the tenant may recover possession or terminate the rental agreement and, in either case, recover an amount not more than one and one-half (1 1/2) months' periodic rent or the damages sustained by the tenant, whichever is greater. If the rental agreement is terminated, the landlord shall return that portion of the security deposit recoverable by the tenant under K.S.A. 58-2550."

Amy Heeter 2 years ago

Try reading the KLTA. Diminished services are not legal. Just because a lease says something does not make it legal. Illegal prisions are not enforceable in court. If rent us not paid the landlord must file a 3 day notice to quit. Even than if tge tenant remains he still has to file in court to remove the tenant.

Termcd4 2 years ago

Did you know..they JUST moved someone in over there less than two weeks ago!?

snook3200 2 years ago

no new tenants. man the drama on this story.

caligal 2 years ago

and i was moving back to town and was guaranteed an apartment there then the last minute rex turned me down. so glad he did cos when your on disability its hard to find a place without being on a waiting list!!!!!!!!

kernal 2 years ago

These tenants need to get legal help. Is there any type of free legal aid available in Lawrence for this type of situation, other than for KU students?

Amy Heeter 2 years ago

Yes, Kansas legal services.

tomatogrower 2 years ago

I think when an owner doesn't take care of the building, it should be confiscated, and sold by the city. Or to an organization that helps the homeless. Then money could be raised to fix it up, and rent to low income families. My mother always told me not to get anything I wasn't willing to take care of, car, pet, stereo, whatever. This applies to buildings. Being a slum lord is despicable.

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

Sell the property and give the tenants money to relocate! Make the slum lords pay!!

gl0ck0wn3r 2 years ago

Yeah! Rise up, proles! Destroy the landowning bourgeois and their wage slaves.

snook3200 2 years ago

whats wrong man, missing the inside, dont worry you will be back soon. reserve for you.

lilyspurpleplasticpurse 2 years ago

There are laws regulating tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities. I assume there was a rental agreement the landlord supplied and the renters signed. The duties of the landlord are spelled out here. http://www.kshcci.org/images/pdfs/LLTENAct2005.pdf. This isn't rocket science. The landlord appears to be out of compliance.

budwhysir 2 years ago

Is it possible this building is not a rental unit but a profit maker? Income less zero expenses makes for a healthy pocketbook. And if you get a chance to get rid of the problem by letting the city get everyone to move out and then let them tear it down, profits are increased even more...

mr_right_wing 2 years ago

Yes the owner is to blame, but so is Jayhawk "PROPERTY MANAGEMENT" the whole reason you share a part of the rent that comes in is so you don't have to deal with maintenence & repair issues

I'd much rather see people forced to move, that forced to live like the story alleges. Douglas County Red Cross, sounds like you've got some folks in need of help!

I'd also say these folks are due a refund of rent, but if that even occured it would at least take months and possibly years.

Horrible situation.

neolib 2 years ago

Part of the problem is tenants so infantilized by the welfare system that they don't develop any survival skills like utilizing the common sense not to flush Huggies down the commode. Not all, but the majority of tenants in these places tolerate lax maintenance because they have criminal records, poor credit, and don't want to jeopardize the only place they can find to live. "The powers that be" actually prefer low income people to be coagulated in one place and turn a blind eye to maintenance complaints because crime follows poverty, and it's easier to administer if serious assaults and warrant pickups are concentrated in pockets instead of tainting the community at large. I know Rex, and there is a calculated profit margin on running this building because once he gets the deposit and a couple of months rents, that's about all she wrote until an eviction order is issued, so while he provides a service for undesirables to have a place to live he has to sacrafice maintenance for a profit margin, and it sounds like this building got away from him before he got on top of minimally survivable standards.

jayhawk72 2 years ago

I lived there for 7 years and it was the worst place to live in Lawrence. I was a single mom, couldn't afford hardly anything. But Rex's property was "affordable" and after moving in there I began to see why. Roaches ruled that building. The laundry room sewer backed up all the time....which was the actual sewage for the whole building, and yes, poop was floating down the bottom floor hall. Maintenance NEVER came to clean it up. It was disgusting!! The light above my kitchen sink was always full of water from the upper apartment having a leak in their sink, needless to say I couldn't use it. The final straw was when my boyfriend and I had cleaned and painted the apartment next to us to help make up for our overdue rent and Rex evicted us when we were done. He said, "You didn't give me a bill for the job, so it never happened." When we were looking for a new place to live, the bathroom ceiling fell into our tub due to pipe leaks from the apartments above us. We lived there for 3 months after being told to leave and the ceiling still hadn't been even looked at. Good luck to those this has affected. As for Rex Tedrow...I hope you get raked over the coals of justice and are never allowed to be a property owner in this lifetime.

irvan moore 2 years ago

the tenents are screwed, you know it's ownership is an LLC

truemother 2 years ago

If I'm not mistaken Rex and his wife own the property. Or manage it

tomatogrower 2 years ago

Will this company be one of the businesses who don't have to pay taxes under Brownback's plan? Or rather the plan he was forced to sign, because it was the only one that the legislature sent him? Poor dear.

Amy Heeter 2 years ago

Iv always felt there should be a running review maintained by the city of slumlords. Combine it eiyh the registery so people can see how many times the city went out. Tenants moved out and if they had to file in court for deposits. Redbud area is not the only slums. Red oak, heatherwood, peppertree, realty executives, Midwest, the list us endless. This city needs real enforcement and rent regulation

truemother 2 years ago

It takes the tenants to stand up for themselves. I can't say slum lord, he is far from lord.

I feel for all tenants of his. Gazebo is just as bad. People move to the 2nd floor, to avoid soaked carpets.

As far as he basically gets deposit and first 2months rent, then issue eviction? Hmmmmm, fix stuff, people would pay rent.

Don't know about huggies. People are dumb and flushed pads and tampons.

Still no good reasons not to fix the stuff correctly.

This building needs TLC. Someone that cares about the building. How many houses in Lawrence have been beautified by people who care?

caligal 2 years ago

yes the building needs tlc but you need to start where the problem lies. he had people to fix things but when you get some people not all who work for him and dont know the azz from a hole in the ground (mark and kelly) i am not referring to you guys. you have tried your best to do right but when you have tenants that threaten the managers and wont go by the rules. and wont even turn in the problems when they show up. it hasnt been to long ago he had new carpet put in on all 3 floors. someone plz step up to help these people. its not their fault completely. we all know what kind of area that is. REX come on buddy your better than this. why why why did you let this happen???????

snook3200 2 years ago

you cannot control the crime in any area, the call volume in the last three years has dropped percent from the police department. rex tries to give everyone a chance, second chance renting. he stopped that about sometime last year. he has increased rent and tried to review rentals more intensly, not letting just anyone in. he sometimes has to evict people and they cant handle it. he has a reputation for being a push over. in the last year that has changed. he has been more assertive about the tenants, making sure rent is paid, and watching for police interaction. yes, there is always problems with employment at any business and sometimes he has to make changes just like at any business. but change takes time. as far as all the complaints from former tenants, the had no problem living in the building for free when the could not pay rent. the minute rex has to pay to go file to evict them the call the city and try to cause him as many problems as possible. is that fair to a man that extends his hand to a family that has no where to go to do this to him. he never claimed to be perfect, but to go and put his tenants in the street and not give him time to fix is unfair. no one knows what it is like to live there, deal with this type of clientel and deal with these people, until you do, you dont have the right to judge rex. he is a good man.

caligal 2 years ago

yes rex is a good man....i worked for him so i know. he has quite a bit of things going on. he has a heart of gold. he was good to me. if the tenants would not do damage beyond repair then he would not have the problems that he has.

truemother 2 years ago

Obviously he had plenty of time to fix things. Its not all Rex's fault. Mark and Kelly didn't help with constantly calling police and harassing former tenants.

One shouldn't have to go too the extent of a restraining order for harassment for it to stop.

I hope Rex either bring it up to code with city contractors instead of his "maintenance " that get free rent instead. OR sale it to someone who will take the time and fix it.

Nobody deserves to live with mold and poop.

Doesn't matter what walk of life -society.

kernal 2 years ago

Hard to sell a property that doesn't meet code.

budwhysir 2 years ago

even harder yet to sell property that is not a profit maker...but then again, who ever said they wanted to sell the property? I think the intention was to keep it running as long as possible without putting any money into fixing it up.

caligal 2 years ago

for starters if he had decent people to fix things for him that are not into the drug scene it would help

deec 2 years ago

Proper employee screening is the employer's responsibility. If the management company paid a better wage, they might draw a better class of employee.

snook3200 2 years ago

name me one business that doesnt have overturn in employees? i guess your employeed and perfect, right.

deec 2 years ago

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to be unpleasant. The comment to which I was responding accused the employees of being involved with drugs. It is the employer's responsibility to assure that he doesn't hire drug users. Neither the initial comment nor my response has anything to do with employee turnover.

snook3200 2 years ago

it is amazing to me all the people over the years that have been down on their luck and have come to rex to get a place to live once twice or maybe even three times with their hat in their hand. he has always helped people out. if he has not had a place he has called someone or turned them to someone that could get them in somewhere. people talk bad of him, his company, his family, his help and whatever. but down deep his heart has always been in the right place. to help people that need it. i am shocked and appaulled at the judgement the society the town he has loved so much is going after him. it sickens me that it is horrid and hateful. he lived in this town too. he is a jayhawker for life. you cant keep him down. he gave blood sweat for many folks to have shelter for over 30 years. and this is all we have better to do is to attack a senior that has only done for those in this town. im ashamed to even read and see what people are !!about this man. you all should be ashamed. for what he has done for you or someone you know. shame on you. i love you rex. keep your head and dont worry your REAL frends and family will never leave your side. we DONT judge. we SUPPORT YOU. GO JAYHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy Heeter 2 years ago

Rex is a nice guy, but thee KLTA outlines in s clear say with definitions as to how units must comply according to standards. Nice guy or not its the law.

snook3200 2 years ago

remember when you was a little boy and you stole something and you got caught we all know because we all went through it the only question is you didnt learn anything from it.

jonas_opines 2 years ago

Forum Rule Alpha: No good can ever come from reading comments on articles that you have a personal connection to. No good can ever come from signing on to defend those mentioned in the article that you are personally connected to.

/you have not demonstrated an exception to this rule.

Amy Heeter 2 years ago

If a landlord isn't getting rent tgete are steps he can take. Not making repairs isnt one if them.

kclark802000 2 years ago

I Personally know how it feels to have the city just kick you out of your home. I was in the North Lawrence Trailer Park they closed over 4 months ago and yes the trailer park itself had issues but it was not as bad as the city made it seem. They don't care about if they are making you homeless. Jimenez himself came out several times trying to make himself look like this great person when he is the monster. Further more they kick all of us out of our homes with no money to find another place, some of us had to move in with family and some had to move to the lake. But yet the trailer park is more of an eye sore now than when people lived in them. So to all of you who are being kicked to the curb, I am sorry for you and understand the pain and frustration of the whole deal. May god be on your side and help you find a place to live quickly. And needless to say I am not living in Lawrence anymore because of the city and the crooked it crap they pull.

jayhawk72 2 years ago

If anyone is looking to sue. I have photographs of my old apartment, number 19, on disc. Photos of the roaches and the ceiling in the bathroom including the "laundry room" sewage issue. Hit me up via email.

jayhawkmanagementshutdown 1 year, 11 months ago

i used to work for this slumlord and well i was one of the people that had to leave well i was outta town due to family issues and well during this time i was never contacted by rex tedrow or mitch he worked in office most time. I found out about it getting shut down barly one week beffor they shut it down and it was not by jayhawk pm thats for sure so i tryed to contact rex in office and cell phone to see what was going on and i got no answer due to me being outta town at the time i couldent just go to office and when i got back to town i found my apt empty so i got ahold of rex and he had said he through everything in the trash because city had told him to clean it out asap well i was never contacted at all to have a chance to move everything i owned all me and my family left with was a bag of clothes and well if i would have known he would just through my stuff out i woulda had no problem moving my stuff i lost all my pictures and my sons toys and everything i have had since i was a kid their is no way he through away everything i had alot of valuebles and antique items that were worth alot of money and also over 2000 dollers in tools i have been saving for years i had everything from framing tools and rehabbing tools and mecanic tool box full that weighed over 250 pounds do you really think that they thrugh them away i also had pocket bikes one chopper and one street bike both worked and were my 6 year old sons which i would have rather lost them than all his clothes and toys and all our memories and pictures and items i had receved from my grandparents none of that can bereplaced and due to me loosing every tool i owned i cant work all i have done is construction and with no tools its hard to get a job or even try to start over went from haveing every thing to just a few pair of clothes for me and my family barly any wenter clothes because it was not cold when we went outta town so i have contacted rex many many times to repay what he had taken from me and my family and he said to me i dont know what your talking about and that i dident pay rent or even have a lease which i do and i also have paper work saying i worked over 40+ hrs week for 2 months atleast and he took half my check every week now me and my family are home less and cant get help to sue or even get a place i have tryed lawyers

jayhawkmanagementshutdown 1 year, 11 months ago

and with out money or job they wont talk to me and city wont do anything to help me with getting info on paper work and old manager their had lied and dident act like we lived their so if anyone has any info at all on what i can do or anything please contact me i know all about the building i worked their and was in every apt and know everrything about his other apts and the office talk which intells them disscussing fradulant suggestins stright from rexes mouth that alone would shut him down i just dont know who to go to for help or were to start and recently their had been a few things that had happend in the dumpsters that had been a idea by rex which i think will lead to what he really wanted to do contact for any more info i just want my stuff back and payed back for everything we have went through this last few weeks