Archive for Thursday, October 4, 2012

Kansas activists say they’ll seek to recall Kobach

October 4, 2012

— A Topeka activist says he'll start circulating petitions later this month for an election to recall Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach.

Sonny Scroggins has been holding small protests against Kobach for several weeks.

Scroggins contends Kobach should be ousted over several issues. The concerns include Kobach's work on immigration issues that regularly takes him out of state and his advocacy of a new state law requiring voters to show photo identification at the polls.

Fellow activist Frank Smith says Kobach is trying to suppress voter turnout.

Kobach argues the photo ID law will prevent election fraud and says the issues raised by Scroggins and Smith were aired during his successful 2010 campaign.

Under Kansas law, recall proponents must gather signatures from nearly 83,000 registered voters to force an election.

Comments

verity 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll sign, but it won't do any good. If he actually was recalled---and getting someone recalled in Kansas is well-nigh impossible---Brownback gets to appoint his replacement. I have no doubt that Brownback would come up with someone even worse---probably bring in one of his Florida cronies.

"The number of valid signatures required for a recall election is 40 percent of the number of persons that voted in the last preceding election for the office of the incumbent sought to be recalled. The circulation has 90 days in which it can be circulated."

"In Kansas, the governor is responsible for appointing a successor to the recalled official. The appointed successor must be a member of the same political party as the officeholder recalled, and must be selected from a list submitted by a committee of the political party of the person recalled."

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't care about Kobach either way; he's temporary. There's an old saying though, "don't poke the bear".

Kobach was voted in; he can be voted out during the next election. That's the correct time to elect officeholders.

The fellow won't get 83,000 signatures, but a really hard campaign for a recall just might push the more moderate right to vote out democrats in favor of 'murican tea party candidates. This is still Kansas.

I want sane laws and a porous border with those that should be our best friends to the south. Based on the Constitution, you either are or not American, but that doesn't mean we can't share our good fortune with Mexicans or Hondurans fleeing abject poverty and willing to help make America a better country.

The fellow making the racket probably wants something similar. All the petition campaign will do is make things worse.

Don't poke the bear.

oletimer 1 year, 6 months ago

bunch of crybabies. The main issue is that Kobach ( and thousands others) don't like illegals. If you can't stand that, too bad. Go find some real issues to cry about and leave Koback to do his excellent work. No matter what state he is in. I am proud of his work and what he stands for. If you don't like it, move to mexico with your friends. We don't need you in this country!

JJE007 1 year, 6 months ago

“Do you see over yonder, friend Sancho, thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them.” ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
“For neither good nor evil can last for ever; and so it follows that as evil has lasted a long time, good must now be close at hand.” ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Paul R Getto 1 year, 6 months ago

Waste of time. Vote next time, will ya? Thirty-some percent of those eligible to vote put these clowns in office.

classclown 1 year, 6 months ago

Calling for an election to oust a man they accuse of controlling who votes?

Armstrong 1 year, 6 months ago

Just make sure everyone is registered !

tomatogrower 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll sign. Where is the petition?

ochocinco 1 year, 6 months ago

If the "activists" think that Kobach is trying to suppress voter turnout, this is a criminal charge. Instead of trying to recall and vote out Kobach, shouldn't they be trying to have him arrested?

Of course Kobach is not trying to prevent people from voting, but is in favor of enforcing a law that the legislature passed which combats voter fraud. Kobach has to enforce this law--he is required to do so by the Kansas Constitution.

And if I were an anti-Kobach "activist," I'd rather him be spending in other states than doing things I'm against in my own state. I for one am thrilled Sebelius is in Washington D.C. instead of Topeka. Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 6 months ago

Kobach represents the rural, racist, bigoted views of a great majority of those who live in small towns west of Topeka. This tea bag soaked electorate may be difficult to challenge. I hope he is successful in this effort, but I doubt that the rubes and hicks will allow it.

Jan Rolls 1 year, 6 months ago

It won't take long to get 83,000.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 6 months ago

Did you know Kobach went to Harvard, Yale and Oxford? Wow, that's impressive. I dont like his politics but he must be wicked smart.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 6 months ago

How did that recall thing work out in Wisconsin? Millions of dollars wasted!

1 year, 6 months ago

I'll sign and donate.

It's time The Guv's (AKA, The statehouse Bully) Rat Terrier left.

Timothy Eugene 1 year, 6 months ago

This made me laugh out loud. No chance, but go ahead and waste your time and money, as long as no taxpayer money is wasted in the process. Kobach will win reelection in a landslide.

Machiavelli_mania 1 year, 6 months ago

In brief search, All I can find is this: https://twitter.com/biasbustersofks

I don't do facebook or twitter.

Machiavelli_mania 1 year, 6 months ago

Where can I sign up? Do they need any money?

SageonPage 1 year, 6 months ago

Scroggins, heh heh, no credibility, Good Luck Scrogg. He's been watching too much TV and saw how Rev. Al Snarkton moved on up from rebel rowser to TV personality.

KansasLiberal 1 year, 6 months ago

Why bother? He'll just win the recall election.

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

yes, where do we sign? Now they only need 82,995.

Ray March 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm with you! Kobach is almost as bad as Brownback.

They should've posted a link to the guy's website or his contact information in this story.