Archive for Thursday, October 4, 2012

Kansas activists say they’ll seek to recall Kobach

October 4, 2012

— A Topeka activist says he'll start circulating petitions later this month for an election to recall Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach.

Sonny Scroggins has been holding small protests against Kobach for several weeks.

Scroggins contends Kobach should be ousted over several issues. The concerns include Kobach's work on immigration issues that regularly takes him out of state and his advocacy of a new state law requiring voters to show photo identification at the polls.

Fellow activist Frank Smith says Kobach is trying to suppress voter turnout.

Kobach argues the photo ID law will prevent election fraud and says the issues raised by Scroggins and Smith were aired during his successful 2010 campaign.

Under Kansas law, recall proponents must gather signatures from nearly 83,000 registered voters to force an election.

Comments

Ray March 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you! Kobach is almost as bad as Brownback.

They should've posted a link to the guy's website or his contact information in this story.

Fossick 2 years, 2 months ago

By the time they get all the signatures and schedule an election, he'll be up for (and win) re-election.

Fossick 2 years, 2 months ago

Kobach controls all aspects of reality from his command bunker deep beneath Memorial Hall. Even Sonny Scroggins.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

Why bother with cheating when you will win by a landslide without trying?

Proof --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJbSv...

Bob Forer 2 years, 2 months ago

So not only are you a right wing nut, but a racist right wing nut. I figured as much.

kernal 2 years, 2 months ago

Liberty275, you're correct. SageonPap didn't say it, but he certainly implied it with his reference to the Reverand.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

You are right, but isn't it the responsibility of the DA to pursue all means of prosecution so the case can be ruled on properly by the judicial system?

You are right, but you are more right because the courts agree with you. You should be thanking Kobach instead complaining about that.

You seem to have other issues with him. Try one of those instead.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 2 months ago

All in, as in poker, meaning you're willing to put all your money at risk?

Not me, but if asked for a signature, I'll do that.

Bob Forer 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't have any money, but I have a lot of heart.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 2 months ago

I think that's great. One person with a clipboard at 9th. & Mass., gathering signatures, can have a far greater influence than some guy named Koch buying a television commercial. I really believe that. That's why I'm not too concerned about the influence of money on campaigns. One guy with heart can overcome a lot. You go!!!

beatrice 2 years, 2 months ago

rc, I actually agree. He hasn't broken any laws, so the effort should go to beating him in the next election if that is what is desired.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

I'll sit down next to him and take the same standardized test. He can talk pretty, but he's about as sharp as a ball bearing.

beatrice 2 years, 2 months ago

Silly. If Obama is dumber than a box of rocks and became President of the United States of America, then what does that say about you? How come you aren't master of the universe by now?

You may not care for his politics, but calling him dumb is ... well... just stupid.

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

"How come you aren't master of the universe by now?"

There are no masters.

I'm sorry you think such a thing could exist.

kernal 2 years, 2 months ago

What Obama's done to our economy? I can't believe you're still trying to pull that one out. Were you in a coma during GW Bush's term?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 2 months ago

Kobach represents the rural, racist, bigoted views of a great majority of those who live in small towns west of Topeka. This tea bag soaked electorate may be difficult to challenge. I hope he is successful in this effort, but I doubt that the rubes and hicks will allow it.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 2 months ago

If yours in the point of view of those who oppose Kobach, I may have to re-think my earlier comment that I would sign the petition.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 2 months ago

I knew that. Sometimes it's troubling when a very foolish comment is made using a very poor choice of words, in a hateful and hurtful manner, yet in general, it's a position you agree with. It happens around here a lot.

Armstrong 2 years, 2 months ago

Just make sure everyone is registered !

classclown 2 years, 2 months ago

Calling for an election to oust a man they accuse of controlling who votes?

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 2 months ago

“Do you see over yonder, friend Sancho, thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them.” ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
“For neither good nor evil can last for ever; and so it follows that as evil has lasted a long time, good must now be close at hand.” ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Liberty275 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't care about Kobach either way; he's temporary. There's an old saying though, "don't poke the bear".

Kobach was voted in; he can be voted out during the next election. That's the correct time to elect officeholders.

The fellow won't get 83,000 signatures, but a really hard campaign for a recall just might push the more moderate right to vote out democrats in favor of 'murican tea party candidates. This is still Kansas.

I want sane laws and a porous border with those that should be our best friends to the south. Based on the Constitution, you either are or not American, but that doesn't mean we can't share our good fortune with Mexicans or Hondurans fleeing abject poverty and willing to help make America a better country.

The fellow making the racket probably wants something similar. All the petition campaign will do is make things worse.

Don't poke the bear.

verity 2 years, 2 months ago

I'll sign, but it won't do any good. If he actually was recalled---and getting someone recalled in Kansas is well-nigh impossible---Brownback gets to appoint his replacement. I have no doubt that Brownback would come up with someone even worse---probably bring in one of his Florida cronies.

"The number of valid signatures required for a recall election is 40 percent of the number of persons that voted in the last preceding election for the office of the incumbent sought to be recalled. The circulation has 90 days in which it can be circulated."

"In Kansas, the governor is responsible for appointing a successor to the recalled official. The appointed successor must be a member of the same political party as the officeholder recalled, and must be selected from a list submitted by a committee of the political party of the person recalled."