Archive for Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Group at Dole applies dials to Romney, Obama during debate

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama answers questions during the first presidential debate at the University of Denver, Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012, in Denver. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

October 3, 2012

When Republican Mitt Romney said he would cut government funding to Public Broadcasting Service, a group of undecided and independent voters at the Dole Institute of Politics watching the first presidential debate moved their dials way down.

The 14 people were holed up in a room, moving individual dials to show how they felt about everything President Barack Obama and Romney said during the 90-minute debate that was held Wednesday at the University of Denver.

Outside the room, more than a 100 people sat and watched the debate on a large screen and followed the focus group's dial movements superimposed on the screen.

After the debate, Kansas University associate professor Mary Banwart asked the group members why they disapproved of Romney's verbal shot at PBS. "I thought that was a stupid move," Kathie Stovall of Lawrence said as others around the table nodded in agreement. Stovall said she supported PBS.

Banwart also noted that during the debate, the group seemed to grade Romney down the more aggressive he became in pointing out differences between himself and Obama, than they did when Obama did the same thing to Romney.

Elaine Grosser of Eudora, and a registered Republican, said she felt Obama did a better job of explaining himself than Romney, and she said that she did not appreciate Romney's remarks that were publicized last month about 47 percent of the population being dependent on the government and in Obama's column.

"I don't think he is in touch with us," Grosser, 68, said of Romney. Her husband, Stewart, 73, and retired from the Navy, said he was undecided about who to support. He agreed with Obama on some issues, but added, "He (Obama) seems to hit a brick wall with Congress." Later, he said he felt himself agreeing with Obama more during the debate. "I felt like Obama was giving stronger answers," he said.

Ashley Fielder, a senior accounting major at Kansas University, was in the focus group and said she appreciated Romney's

business-like approach to certain issues.

Outside the focus group room, Abby Hughes, a sophomore at KU, watched the debate on the big screen and remained undecided. "I don't think it swayed me, but it informed me," she said. Chris Lyons, also a KU student, agreed. He said he wasn't going to decide who to vote for based on a debate, but would study the candidates' positions.

Bill Lacy, director of the Dole Institute, said he believed both Romney and Obama did well. "I don't think there was a clear winner," he said.

Comments

Constitutional_Malfeasance 1 year, 6 months ago

Who is this writer and is he living in a different universe? I'm Referring to Scott Rothschild who wrote this.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 6 months ago

Last night we witnessed the beginning of the greatest political decent in US history. Some have already named it... the mile high meltdown! For years conservatives have known that Barrack Obama is not up to the job and now 58 million Americans witnessed it first hand on live TV. In spite of Jim Lehrer's sorry attempt to throw Obama a life line, little Barry just looked down at his podium like a scolded child for most of the debate. At one point, Obama asked Lehrer to "move on" when he was getting his clock cleaned. I actually think Obama did worse last night than in his debate with Clint Eastwood. Obama truly is an empty suit with old worn-out excuses. He was totally unprepared, rambling most of the time and stringing together one liberal cliché after another. Without a teleprompter and Bill Clinton at his side, Obama came across as the inexperienced community organizer that he is. A professional talker in a position way over his head and our economy has paid a heavy price.

And what about Obama's fawning lapdogs in the media. The press has been protecting Obama and covering up his incompetence for the last 6 years. How does Obama repay them, by simply phoning it in last night and the dogs are furious. Even extreme wackjobs like Bill Maher are outraged that Obama didn't mention Romney's "47%" comment. Why didn't Obama bring this up? Since Obama can't run on his pathetic record, what will David Axelrod and his Chicago smear machine think up next? Here's the answer. GQ magazine printed a blistering piece about Romney’s Mormonism in a recent issue. PMS-NBC anchor Lawrence O’Donnell went on one of his vein-popping tirades about Mormonism. The New York Times ran an article titled “Why Race Is Still a Problem for Mormons.” ABC World News Tonight ran a two-part series on Romney’s Mormonism. By the way, this is the same newscast that in 2008 refused to broadcast videotapes showing Jeremiah Wright ranting against whites and Jews. Not to be left out, NBC devoted a full one-hour episode of Rock Center with Brian Williams to examining Romney’s Mormonism.

The best man won last night, Mitt Romney. Obama has been exposed for what he is and I can't wait for Paul Ryan to expose Back-In-Chains-Biden on the 12th. Let's end the incompetence and division this November. Romney-Ryan 2012!

Paul R Getto 1 year, 6 months ago

Mr. Romney dusted off the old Etch-a-Sketch last night, he did. Some interesting new ideas. They do not fit the Republican platform, however.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's hope they strap the high capacity Depends on Biden before his debate or it might get ugly.

atiopatioo 1 year, 6 months ago

Was Obama vetted before becoming the challenger in this debate?

Centerville 1 year, 6 months ago

I got a kick out of Romney, as he stated facts, staring right at Zip, who was afraid to look up. Poor Jim Leherer, as unwelcome at future lib get-togethers as the poor sap who asked Scott Brown why he was willing to sit in "Ted Kennedy's seat."

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 6 months ago

Sorry, I meant to say"exercise in futility". My bad.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 6 months ago

I completely disagree with the CNN take. I think Romney looked like a bobblehead. It would seem to the Repuvlican "candidate" had his underwear on backwards. Eyes fluttering, head bobbing, acting like a cat on a hot tin roof. But then again, I do not vote much in Kansas, it is an exercise in tea bag soaked Kansas politics.

tomatogrower 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, and by the way, Sagey, Romney does know how things really work. He or his accountant has used plenty of those loopholes that make it profitable to move companies to other countries, which he claims don't exist. It's one way he got so rich, and why a lot of his money isn't in a good US bank. Of course, he can be like Brownback, and plead innocence for his lack of knowledge. "I was just doing what my accountant thought best. I didn't know about the loopholes. It's all his fault. But I built this company and my money on my own. Don't forget that. My accountant and employees are just flunkies. I never needed any of the them."

tomatogrower 1 year, 6 months ago

Question: I agree Romney couldn't put out his whole plan out in 2 minutes, but where is his plan? It could be typed up and put on his position site, but I don't see it anywhere. On his site there are a few more details, but just in short sentences. He wants to repeal "Obamacare", but he doesn't say what he would do to replace it. I realize people have short attention spans, but I and many people I know want details.

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 6 months ago

Romney saying he'll nix PBS funding (0.012% of the budget) in order to balance the budget is akin to deleting a text file to make room on a 1TB hard drive.

SageonPage 1 year, 6 months ago

Obuma is a joke! The look on his face was that of a cat getting a bath!! He can't put two words together without his 'TeleTubby Teleprompter'! The shallow community organizer was shown for the fraud he is! He got a lesson in American history and was shown that he relies so heavily on his 'handlers' that he can't speak off the cuff or address the real issues we face. Dump the chump now! He looked like a child begin scolded when Romney used facts and an understanding of how things really work.

mycatsrightorwrong 1 year, 6 months ago

Means testing social security, limiting tax deductions, protecting education, no demonizing the poor, and all while talking about private sector solutions. God, I wish Kansas still had some moderate Republicans, I forgot what they sounded like.

SageonPage 1 year, 6 months ago

It's a whole new world for lil' B.O. when he doesn't have his Teleprompter. He got beat like a red-headed step child! His lack of understanding of American and lack of grasp on the issues showed he is in over his head. His handlers are caught red- handed that this puppet can't sing or dance on his own. Oh and by the way Scotty, where did you find and how did you select this 'Special' 14 viewers to help you right about your disdain for Mitt Romney?

gccs14r 1 year, 6 months ago

The last thing we need is more Republicans. They've been making a mess of things since '68.

I miss Tim Russert.

CreatureComforts 1 year, 6 months ago

Never mind the fact that I am originally from the state where Romney was once the Gov...I dislike the guy greatly. I won't be voting for him. But I'll tell you one thing - I am sure as heck more likely to vote for him today than I was yesterday. Probably won't vote for either guy though.

It was practically uncomfortable just watching Obama at times. Really a shocker.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 6 months ago

CNN poll on who won the debate: Romney 67% Obama 25% Ouch! Thats not FOX, CNN. Landslide win for Romney.

JonasGrumby 1 year, 6 months ago

It's as if Scott Rothschild is in some alternate universe.

ssteve1 1 year, 6 months ago

Number one. Bill Lacy, go to cnn.com or abc.com or cbs.com, read the headlines. Then get yourself a gallon of scotch. Number two. The token Republican of the 14 dial twisters needs to read number one.

But hey, if all you can hang your hat on is pbs funding then why not go for that?

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

"This is what happens when u pick John Kerry as your debate coach" - Michael Moore.

Liberal 1 year, 6 months ago

Is Bill Lacy a RINO? I would say after Obama's performance his base better be worried and Romney's base is re-energized after that spanking. I am not sure what debate Bill Lacy was watching. Just look at the message boards from known Dem's they are disgusted, mad at the poor performance and admitting Romney clearly won.