Archive for Monday, October 1, 2012

Editorial: Carry concerns

Kansas cities are looking for ways to get around a ruling that they can’t prohibit openly displayed firearms in any public places.

October 1, 2012

Overland Park is tagging along with Wichita in a decision to permit the open carrying of firearms.

It was announced this week that the Overland Park City Council approved an ordinance to let legal gun owners openly carry their weapons — if they are in holsters with the safety engaged.

Wichita, earlier this year, passed a similar ordinance permitting “open carry,” but, according to Wichita newspaper reports, the city council there apparently favors “a re-examination of our options” — a re-examination provoked by public concern.

The two communities indicate their actions were a response to a nonbinding opinion issued by Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt, who said the cities “may not completely prohibit the open carry of a loaded firearm” on any property that’s open to the public, unless the property is posted with signs prohibiting weapons. His opinion was based on the contention that cities can’t enforce gun laws that are more restrictive than the provisions of state law.

However, cities are allowed to restrict the way firearms are carried, which led Wichita and Overland Park to require guns be in holsters with the safety on. Authorities in each city said they had no interest in challenging the matter in court, so they in effect removed prohibitions on carrying weapons that were tougher than the state’s law.

Lawrence does not appear to face a similar challenge because its “carriage” laws seem minimal and relate to carrying handguns near bars. So state law prevails. What will other communities do? Apparently, it’s up to the Legislature to address the situation before Kansas begins to resemble the Old West, with residents strolling down the street wearing sidearms. (However, this is the same Legislature that had been unwilling to address provisions of the concealed-carry law that make it possible for the blind to maintain their permits.)

Should residents of Lawrence or any Kansas city be forced to accept openly armed residents at the gasoline pump or in the grocery store or just out walking on the sidewalk? Especially knowing that, unlike those who obtain concealed-carry permits, no permit, no training, no background check is required for someone who decides to strap on a holster and pistol?

Surely, most Kansans would say no.

Comments

Paul R Getto 1 year, 11 months ago

Gunfight at the Cadillac Corral? I can live without that, thank you.

gl0ck0wn3r 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes... Exactly like the gunfights that people believed would happen all over Kansas when concealed carry was passed, right?

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 11 months ago

I have always been opposed to open carry, except by peace officers. I do not like that carrying a firearm requires a permit, but the alternative concerns me a lot more. Open carry scares people. It does not require a background check, training, demonstrate proficiency with a firearm, or know the legal ramifications of using a gun. Concealed carry permit holders are required to demonstrate proficiency with their guns, and learn from the required safety class. I think they should be required to go to the range, and pass a required course of fire each time they renew their license. Active and retired peace officers must qualify at least yearly, and some offices require quarterly to carry under LEOSA. A federal law which allows nationwide carry. Retired peace officers must qualify yearly with the course of fire full time peace officers shoot, in order to carry concealed under LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.) There is a lot of information on LEOSA on Wikpedia.

somedude20 1 year, 11 months ago

There are many responsible gun owners out there but there are also a number of people like the jagoff above walking around with their tough guy-man sticks on their waist. Seems that the bar, in our society, is often set for the lowest common denominator, why not this?

DillonBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

In this guy's defense, he has used his mistake to try and help reinforce gun safety for gun owners. He admits he got sloppy and let his finger on the trigger before he was on target and paid the price.

Orwell 1 year, 11 months ago

Looking forward to seeing which of our fellow citizens are so paranoid or insecure that they have to carry around a holstered gun all the time that can be drawn only in case of emergency, and that has to be taken off to enter numerous businesses.

Incidentally, those are the businesses that will be getting my consumer dollars.

gl0ck0wn3r 1 year, 11 months ago

Your username suits you well, prole.

Satirical 1 year, 11 months ago

Orwell...

Maybe it is the young single female who works nights in a high crime area.

drake 1 year, 11 months ago

Guess what Orwell.... we carry at those places anyway. Who's gonna know?

usnsnp 1 year, 11 months ago

The funny thing about this whole thing is that 99% of the people that have guns in a emergency situation would probably do more harm to the public or themselves.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

Citation? Or is that just what you "believe"?

swiftomatic 1 year, 10 months ago

now where did you pull that % out of ? guess what I'M NOT THAT 99 % & I can assure you the one who gets hurt will NOT be me ( & or ) the public . Its safety first for a reason fella. been there - done that !

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

If the firearm is purchased legally in the State of Kansas, a Background check is Required and they are stricter than they used to be on what constitutes a reason for denial. So, if they are carrying openly,the firearm had better be legal and in that persons name. It is true that no training or permit is required to"Open Carry". It has been legal to Carry openly in Kansas for Years. Do you see any body doing it? You may have a few who feel the need to Carry all the time. That is their right. I do agree that untrained people are dangerous with a firearm. For now, we are expected to train on our own. I encourage interested persons to take Firearms classes when available. They are becoming more common due to the Carry Concealed Handgun License course being required for your license. There are more advanced classes than the CCHL Certification Class.

Jstanobservation 1 year, 11 months ago

The background check is only required when the purchase is from a dealer.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

What a substance-less write-up.

Do you really need to worry about the person who is not ashamed to show you he/she has a firearm? This person is well aware they will be under extra scrutiny by the public and LE. I have open carried in Lawrence before, just for the experience, not worth the attention for me.

Don't worry about the guy who carries on his hip, don't worry about the guy who goes through the process to get a concealed permit; worry about the guy who has a stolen gun tucked in his waistband.

Mark Currie 1 year, 11 months ago

I carry everyday. I do NOT like the idea of open carry. I stated before on this sight, no one needs to know I am carrying. I do NOT want to intimidate people and see no need for open carry. Also I see it as a shoot me first sign for criminals. I feel the same way about all the "tactical" clothes many of the "concealed carry clowns" wear. I dress in such a way and use an expensive holster that can hide a .45ACP and no one is the wiser. Open carry might be ok if you are out on the farm and need to carry for whatever reason, but not in town. Even when I lived in the country, on my own property, if I carried it was concealed. Just my .02 worth. Have a great day.

sfcmarkc 1 year, 11 months ago

Vermont doesnt require it's citizens to get a permit at all, no fees, no training.  Yet it ranks 49th in the nation for firearms crime rate.  I guess my question would be what are they doing right and what is everyone else doing wrong?

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

Alaska is also a no permit for carry state.

StephenCCH 1 year, 11 months ago

I've been in Arizona for the last 10 months. I've seen a couple people openly carrying. It's interesting the first couple of times, but hardly eventful.

All these dire predictions are the same we've been hearing for decades as states adopt more and more liberal carry laws. At what point do we concede that the evidence does not indicate any real trouble resulting from armed citizens?

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

"An armed Society is a Polite Society. Manners are Good when one has to back up his Actions with his Life." Robert A. Heinlein. Alaska and Vermont may have something there.

Jim Phillips 1 year, 11 months ago

Hot flash folks! Kansas has always been an open carry state. Still haven't seen those wild west shootouts that never really occurred as often as Hollywood would have you believe.

swiftomatic 1 year, 10 months ago

Open carry scares people. only if your parrents brought you up NOT knowing the safety of guns , It is AND ALWAYS has been our right to the 2nd amendment to bear arms , safety first .anyone with a legel gun & or there parrents , grandparrents passed on down the safety of fire arms while growing up at the young age ! IF ONE IS SCARED OF GUNS: GET TO A GUN RANGE AND BE SHOWN HOW TO OVER COME YOUR SCARE . my opion is : there are way more people brought up around guns then not, in kansas ! At the age of 9 my Grandkids allready know the safety of the B B gun . At age ten they have allready shot a 410 shot gun all by themselves. There not scared. One of my Grandsons is going deer hunting this year with his own 243 rifle . There not scared cause theve's been shown how to safelly handle a gun by me, his dad , as our DADS showed us ! O & I to am not scared !

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 10 months ago

My Grandfather AND My dad taught me. I was 8. A firearm is a tool made for a specific purpose. It can protect you or feed you. It becomes a weapon when you point it at another person. Avoid this AT ALL Costs. When hunting, YOU are responsible for where the bullet goes. A firearm is a BIG responsibility that is not to be taken lightly.