Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, November 28, 2012

40 years ago: South Junior High students questioned following restroom fire

November 28, 2012

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Nov. 28, 1972:

A recent fire in the girls' rest room at South Junior High School was being investigated as a possible arson by city, state, and school officials. Electrical malfunction had been ruled out as a cause of the fire, which had been discovered at 2 p.m. on a recent Monday afternoon, leading to a school-wide evacuation. School personnel and fire investigators were theorizing that paper towels and toilet paper had been set on fire in the toilets. Six eighth- and ninth-grade girls had been questioned and referred to the Douglas County Juvenile Court by school officials, but no decisions on their possible guilt had been made.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.