Archive for Monday, November 26, 2012

40 years ago: Fire damages Griff’s Burger Bar

November 26, 2012

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Nov. 26, 1972:

• Fire had caused extensive damage this morning to Griff's Burger Bar, 1618 W. 23rd Street. The blaze, which apparently had started near a French-fry unit, had caused damage in the kitchen, a storage space in a small upstairs area, and to stock, according to manager Ed Brummett.
  • Kansas University's Wescoe Hall, the new $7.6 million humanities building, was more than half completed as of this date. The building, to house classrooms and offices, was to be completed by the middle of the summer of 1973, but relocation of departments in the facility was expected to require most of the fall semester, since only one or two departments would be moved at a time.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 9 months ago

A fire at Griff's? Yup, a grease fire, just as I suspected!

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes sir indeed, our sons just loved these little burgers, they were 4 & 6 years old ,price was also good, 10 cents??? if my ole computer is right.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

Griff's in KCK had them for ten cents, but as I recall, that was a one day per week promo. Then again, just like this column, my memory is 40 years old.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Yup, 10 cents! Back in '64/'65 I had a spare key made for my older sisters car. My peeps and I would scoot over to Griff's on our lunch break and spend our 35 cents of lunch money on a burger, fries and small drink then high tail it back to LHS. Worked out purty good 'til sis tried to do the same and couldn't find her car. Quite the welcoming committee we had when we got back.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 9 months ago

For anyone that misses the looks of Griff's Burger Bar, there is one in substantially original condition on the northwest corner of 29th and Adams in Topeka, Kansas. I have been trying to get the Google Street View of it to post here, but I am having no luck.

The roof is now blue instead of red, there are no big glittery sequins, and it is being used as a used car dealership. I've been told that somewhere in Kansas City, Kansas, there is another former Griff's building that is substantially original.

And, for those of you that just have to know - the location of the former Griff's on 23rd Street is now home to Dunn Bros Coffee!

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Still going strong in Arvada, CO.

(Also in Texas, Louisiana, Missouri and New Mexico!)

Griffy

Griffy by RoeDapple

rockchalker52 1 year, 9 months ago

I remember at one point there were 12 cent Griff burgers & 15 cent Sandy burgers (biemers, youngsters) but Sandy's offered the tasty unpeeled taters for their french fries. Definitely worth the extra 20%.