Archive for Monday, November 19, 2012

Topeka police say man who fired a gun and assaulted a police car was high

November 19, 2012

— Topeka police say a man likely was high on narcotics when he fired a gun and assaulted a police vehicle near the Washburn University campus.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports police were dispatched around 6:15 a.m. Monday on reports of shots fired.

A 31-year-old man who lives in an apartment across the street from the incident says he heard gunshots and stepped outside to find a man lying on the ground.

Jason How says the man jumped up when he saw a Washburn University police car arrive, then got onto the vehicle's hood and started attacking the car.

The officer walked to the back of the car, causing the man to jump down and go after him. How says another officer took the man into custody before he could attack.

Comments

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

Some drugged up guy is out shooting a GUN in public, and people want to criticize the accessability of POT?

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 1 month ago

Hear, hear! Had the dufus been high on Mary Jane instead of narcotics he'd have been at home watching cartoons with Cheeto fingers.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 1 month ago

What? I would not believe you said that if I hadn't said this... "sierra club" is obviously a new breed of felon on the street, the pot zombie. These potzombies, also known as "Ponzis", must scream like body snatchers at their main competition for our hearts, minds and brains. The thugs be fightin' it out. Let them scream.

otto 2 years, 1 month ago

I would have loved seeing him assault the police vehicle. I know of criminal damage etc... but never thought about it that way.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah,,, I bet the car was underage, too.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

If gunshots can be heard coming from across the street, what would make someone walk outside to see what is happening?

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

Libertarianism doesn't need to be transcended for you to help your neighbor. It just makes you help with your own money and not with some other person's.

I help my neighbors all the time. Here's the funny part - I won't take their money for anything and I won't ask them for anything without paying their price.

You need to re-jig your notions of libertarianism.

"Perhaps you could provide some high narco-insight, as well?"

Twinkies are the food of choice for stoners fighting the zombie apocalypse. How's that?

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

An initial call to the police should be the first concern when gunshots are involved in a neighborhood.

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

Or a car backfiring, a firecracker or balloon popping too.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, many fools are brave fools. They sometimes become dead fools.

Call the police.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 1 month ago

beatrice, maybe it was an AK-47 like this:

AK-47 SWAT Team Assault Rifle Machine Gun - with Light Scope & Shooting Sounds

Blasting sounds and vibrates when fired! Features light up scope, removable magazine, shoulder strap, and removable stock.

---> Requires 3 AA batteries (not included) <---

$39.95 (No age restriction or background check!)

The AK-47
(bullets not required)

The AK-47 (bullets not required) by Ron Holzwarth

someguy 2 years, 1 month ago

Since the guy was attacking a car it is a pretty safe bet that whatever drugs he was taking were non-narcotic.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like this turkey was bath-assaulted.....wonder if the cop car will press assault charges? I have never heard of a car being assaulted, vandalized, but never assaulted

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I was wondering if they meant "assault" like the beaches of Normandy or he beat the car up or had sex with it. It's a little vague.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

"you got a sexy tail pipe and I like your big fenders, car"

Katara 2 years, 1 month ago

Nice headlights and you got a lot of junk in your trunk, car.

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't see why they were arguing with you.

parrothead8 2 years, 1 month ago

That back-pedaling is hard work, isn't it?

LocalYocal 2 years, 1 month ago

First, why do you keep capitalizing the word "pot"? Second, yes marijuana IS a drug (not saying I agree that it should be illegal, but it is a drug just as is caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, etc.) Third, your original comment was so completely random and basically unrelated to the story that people were just attempting to guess what ignorant idea had formed in your head. Lastly, did you just use the "I'm rubber and you're glue" defense? Amazing how someone can be so completely void of intelligence, and then think it wise to comment on articles to highlight their shortcomings. Thank you for making me feel smart :-)

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

"Topeka police say man who fired a gun and assaulted a police car was high"

It was noted the man was distraught because he could not find any Twinkies.

kansasredlegs 2 years, 1 month ago

Wouldn't this be classified as a Medical Emergency and the man being taken to a medical facility in lieu of jail? No? I guess I missed the part of the story about this guy being a "former police chief."

Dude, don't talk to the police and assert the "Olin Defense." Works every time, oh wait, you're not in Lawrence. Sucks for you.

jonas_opines 2 years, 1 month ago

"I did not backpedal."

Agreed. That would imply that you had a direction to begin with.

Me, I'm going with: "Read the headline, didn't read the article, and started posting."

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, if we are only going to read the headline and start commenting, then I have only one word to say: Topeka.

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

If he was so high, rock him, baby and roll him away...

Christine Anderson 2 years, 1 month ago

I shouldn't be laughing, as assault on a human being is never a laughing matter. But...a car? Does the car plan to press charges? Was the car taken to a mechanic for a complete exam before it was allowed to go through the car wash?

Only in Topeka.

ascgrown 2 years, 1 month ago

Make sure the offender pays for the vehicles' PTSD sessions. So traumatizing.