Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Woman suffers non-life threatening injuries in motorcycle crash

November 18, 2012

A 21-year-old Lawrence woman suffered non-life threatening injures after wrecking her motorcycle around 5 p.m. at the intersection of Sixth and Tennessee Streets.

Lawrence police Sgt. Craig Shanks said the woman, driving east on Sixth Street, braked suddenly to turn onto Tennessee Street and lost control of the motorcycle, turning it on its side. The woman was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Comments

Rick Aldrich 2 years ago

And she walked away, think I'd get a car now.

Rick Aldrich 2 years ago

or a Vette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liberty275 2 years ago

I bet you're one of those frat boys with a rustang.

JackMcKee 2 years ago

Why is this news? What about the bent utility pole, 4 tow trucks, multiple LPD cars and traffic backed up to Iowa near 23rd and Louisiana Friday?

grimpeur 2 years ago

Pfft. That's not news. That's just another day of drivers at 23rd and Louisiana.

Liberty275 2 years ago

Bikes are tricky. Hit an oily spot or a puddle of antifreeze while braking and you have a good chance of going down. I has a CB1000 in my younger days and laid it down a few times. It's a little different than a car.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years ago

Was it a motorcycle or a vespa/scooter?

trinity 2 years ago

I don't think oil spots, anti freeze puddles, or any other possible road debris have a darn thing to do with it when a person "brakes suddenly to turn" and then "loses control" of their motorcycle. Sounds like an inexperienced rider, to me...lot of young gals (guys too) want to hop on the scoot&ride like they've got years of experience&many miles under their belt already. It ain't that easy. justfornow-you cracked me up! Sign me-an ol' Harley riding broad. :)

Liberty275 2 years ago

You may be right. 10 years after not riding a bike I took a friend's shadow for a ride and everything was fine until I had to make a u-turn.and it wouldn't turn.

Mike Edson 2 years ago

Sounds like she was braking in a turn. Never brake in a turn on a motorcycle. It is the fastest way to go down. That is taught in motorcycle safety classes like Safe Rider and Rider's Edge.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

poor girl, she drops her bike, and she draws so many comments here, multiple times the length of the article itself!
hope she's not too bruised up and her bike's okay.

when the horse throws you, the best thing is to get back on her.
girl, you can do it.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

... and cranky system admin today too. eh?

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

uh ... we get this article about this girl's little crash but the ljworld puts up nothing about the giant fire extraviganza this morning on east 30th??? huh?