Archive for Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pedestrian injured in collision with car

November 17, 2012, 2:13 a.m. Updated November 17, 2012, 2:13 a.m.

At 7:37 p.m. Friday, a car struck a pedestrian near the intersection of 19th Street and Anna Drive, a street that leads to Kansas University's Stouffer Place Apartments.

The man, a KU student, was hit as he crossed the street by an eastbound vehicle driven by a Lawrence woman.

He was treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital. The man’s injuries originally were classified as life-threatening.

Comments

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

Praying he or she will be al right and if driver is at fault, driver is caught!

Rex Hargis 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm curious about originally being classified as life threatening,but treated and released. Treated and released is a good thing, but how a first-responder initially classify those injuries as life threatening?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 1 month ago

It was an error on the side of caution!

Chelsea Kapfer 2 years, 1 month ago

the police on the scene called it a code red. yes, they are first-responders, but their evaluation is often very quick in order to give the EMT's a heads up, and if necessary check the status of life-flight. It is always best for the patient to err on the side of caution, rather than under-estimating the injuries.

parrothead8 2 years, 1 month ago

It's so easy to callously dismiss someone else's judgment when you: 1) Don't know the victim. 2) Don't know the first responders. 3) Don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sure you wouldn't want all the proper precautions taken if it was your grandchild, right?

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

when I posted, the info was very sketchy. remember py, the first info is always brief, you outa know that by know posting on here.

numberlastgramma, shame on you. once again you post drivvel. on the scene the medics had to make their best judgment, and they're doing it under time pressure. I'm sure you couldn't do better.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, the lack of any mention of the police interviewing the driver, and possible charges, leads one to that conclusion.

LadyJ 2 years, 1 month ago

I was told by a doctor at the hospital that my son would probably be dead by the time I got there. Although he was very broken up, the injuries turned out not to be life threatening. I think a doctor is "someone else more knowledgeable". Even a doctor can be wrong at an initial examination.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

now, I'm so glad he's going to be okay!

akt2 2 years, 1 month ago

They also said head injury. So luckily the patient was upgraded after being assessed. It doesn't matter what the initial code was. All that matters is the outcome.

Michael Rowland 2 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like someone jaywalking from the bus stop to Stouffer. No crosswalk, stop sign, nor signal of any kind. With it being dark more than likely the driver just couldn't see this person (and had no reason to expect to see anyone). Perhaps with the amount of traffic 19th sees there should be some sort of signaled crosswalk here, too many jaywalkers.

Aniket 2 years ago

I WAS THE PERSON WHO GOT HIT.

I am doing better now and I am immensely thankful for your prayers. They saved my life.

Love, Aniket