Archive for Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pedestrian injured in collision with car

November 17, 2012, 2:13 a.m. Updated November 17, 2012, 2:13 a.m.

At 7:37 p.m. Friday, a car struck a pedestrian near the intersection of 19th Street and Anna Drive, a street that leads to Kansas University's Stouffer Place Apartments.

The man, a KU student, was hit as he crossed the street by an eastbound vehicle driven by a Lawrence woman.

He was treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital. The man’s injuries originally were classified as life-threatening.

Comments

Aniket 1 year, 5 months ago

I WAS THE PERSON WHO GOT HIT.

I am doing better now and I am immensely thankful for your prayers. They saved my life.

Love, Aniket

Michael Rowland 1 year, 5 months ago

Sounds like someone jaywalking from the bus stop to Stouffer. No crosswalk, stop sign, nor signal of any kind. With it being dark more than likely the driver just couldn't see this person (and had no reason to expect to see anyone). Perhaps with the amount of traffic 19th sees there should be some sort of signaled crosswalk here, too many jaywalkers.

Scut Farkus 1 year, 5 months ago

Responders will error on the side of caution when it involves head injuries. Also, there is no crosswalk at or near Anna drive and by 7:30 pm it's already dark. I can pretty much guess what happened but it's poor taste to speculate without all the facts.

observant 1 year, 5 months ago

akt2 1 year, 5 months ago

They also said head injury. So luckily the patient was upgraded after being assessed. It doesn't matter what the initial code was. All that matters is the outcome.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

now, I'm so glad he's going to be okay!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

when I posted, the info was very sketchy. remember py, the first info is always brief, you outa know that by know posting on here.

numberlastgramma, shame on you. once again you post drivvel. on the scene the medics had to make their best judgment, and they're doing it under time pressure. I'm sure you couldn't do better.

Number_1_Grandma 1 year, 5 months ago

Sounds like incompetence being overlooked "in order to give the EMT's a heads up" BS to me. I wouldn't want life flight called when just fell and skinned a knee, just to give a heads up?! Just call it what it is or let someone else more knowledgable make the intelligent decisions.

Pretty bad "life threatening" but then "treated and released". Gimme a break...

Chelsea Kapfer 1 year, 5 months ago

the police on the scene called it a code red. yes, they are first-responders, but their evaluation is often very quick in order to give the EMT's a heads up, and if necessary check the status of life-flight. It is always best for the patient to err on the side of caution, rather than under-estimating the injuries.

Rex Hargis 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm curious about originally being classified as life threatening,but treated and released. Treated and released is a good thing, but how a first-responder initially classify those injuries as life threatening?

LJ Whirled 1 year, 5 months ago

Be careful ... and look out for each other!

Pywacket 1 year, 5 months ago

"Caught"? I don't see anything here about it being a hit and run. Unless you have behind-the-scenes knowledge, let's not get ahead of things and stir up emotions unnecessarily.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

Praying he or she will be al right and if driver is at fault, driver is caught!