Archive for Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Names of driver and cyclist in Tuesday accident released

November 14, 2012

Medics load an injured cyclist onto an air ambulance in Memorial Stadium's parking lot. The cyclist was injured when he was struck by an SUV at the intersection of 11th and Kentucky streets on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2012.

Lawrence police investigate a vehicle-versus-bicycle accident at 11th and Kentucky streets. The cyclist suffered critical injuries and was flown by air ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital.

Police identified a cyclist hit by a sport utility vehicle Tuesday afternoon near 11th and Kentucky streets as Donald L. Varnau, 64, of Lawrence.

Varnau, who was wearing a helmet, was sent by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital after suffering critical injuries when he collided with an SUV about 3:15 p.m.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley said officers were still investigating, but released this preliminary recap of the accident:

The SUV, driven by William J. Wozniak, 20, of Dellwood, Minn., was westbound on 11th Street, while Varnau was eastbound on 11th Street. At the Kentucky Street intersection, Varnau failed to yield to the SUV while attempting to turn left onto Kentucky.

Wozniak did not show signs of impairment, police said, and he was not issued a ticket.

A condition update on Varnau was not available Wednesday morning.

McKinley said police are looking for eyewitnesses and urged anyone who saw the accident to call Lawrence police at 832-7509.

Google Map

Cyclist and SUV collision

View Cyclist and vehicle collision Tuesday in a larger map

Comments

Russell Fryberger 2 years, 6 months ago

Bicycles are becoming a nuisance. I'm OK with cyclists in general but when they ride down the middle of the street impeding traffic I do want to poke a stick in the front forks as I go by. More and more I am having to swerve over the center line to avoid these traffic hazards. Bicycles do not go the posted speed limit in most cases so those folks need to get out of the way.

In short, get out of the way, cars are moving faster for a reason.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

"More and more I am having to swerve over the center line to avoid these traffic hazards."

Umm, sometimes, in order to give bike riders the clearance they are legally entitled to, that's just what's entailed while driving legally and responsibly. Deal with it.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

They're not supposed to be in the center of the lane, they're supposed to be as far right as is practical.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Even if a bike is in the gutter lane, a car will typically need to at least hug if not cross the center line in order to pass safely and legally.

Could be.

But the complaint was that the cyclists are riding in the middle of the road.

gayator 2 years, 6 months ago

Read the article again - the cyclist intended to turn to left. You have to get on the center late in order to turn left.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

I was referring to the first comment in the thread, the one that bozo responded to.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

As gayator points out, even though bikes are generally condemned to the gutter lane, occasionally it's necessary (and legal) to move into the main stream of traffic. Motorists need to react accordingly (and "swerving" indicates to me that the driver is just not paying good attention, or exaggerating for purpose.)

Maybe.

On the other hand, if/when a bike swerves into the middle of the road without any signal of any kind, it can be rather surprising.

Tammy Copp-Barta 2 years, 6 months ago

They don't share it with cars OR follow the rules of the road ... I don't remember the last time I saw a bicyclist stop at a stop sign. And if one more rides down the side of my car .. they are going to get a butt chewing!

gayator 2 years, 6 months ago

I'll remember that "butt chewing" concept of yours when I'm in my car and you are a pedestrian, lawrenceks66!

Hooligan_016 2 years, 6 months ago

There is not a minimum speed limit posted on City streets. Just because a sign says GO 30!! Doesn't mean you HAVE to go 30 ...

I have not seen cyclists riding down the middle of the street. Maybe only occasionally when they re-position to make a turn. It sounds more like you just need to take a step back and calm down a bit while driving.

gayator 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh, I'm sure you would also use the same lame logic and excuse on pedestrians and just run them over.

ascgrown 2 years, 6 months ago

Kentucky is a 2 lane One way Crossing the center wouldn't kill you. Failing to nearly killed HIM

lawrencian 2 years, 6 months ago

Boy, am I tired of this anti-bicyclist attitude. Bergerfry, you exemplify a lot of attitudes seen around this forum, around this town, and generally around the whole state.

Why in the world does the occasional accident, even at the fault of the cyclist, give you the latitude to say "Bicycles are becoming a nuisance?" What about the hundreds of people who bicycle safely, using turn signals, yielding to traffic appropriately, and stopping at every damn stop sign, putting a foot down, and then starting off pretty freaking slowly, even when there is no one else at the intersection.

When I ride my bike, which I do for both fitness and transportation when the weather is reasonable (i.e. not raining, snowing, sleeting, temps above 40 for my asthma, etc), I've stopped being shocked by car drivers' unbelievably bad attitudes towards me. I ride as far right as is safe (not in the curb/gutter, but pretty close), stop along the side instead of swerving in front of cars that are moving faster than me in order to turn left behind them instead of in front of them, and yet people still behave as if I am that NUISANCE.

How about NOT painting everyone with the same paintbrush? I'm not the guy who cuts in front of a car to avoid stopping. I'm not the guy who runs the stop sign or red light. I'm just a girl trying to be healthier and get where I need to go. Give me a break!

Tammy Copp-Barta 2 years, 6 months ago

It's not attitudes .. it's proof .. surely you must be the only one seeing them follow the rules of the road!! I'm not saying all bicyclists do these things, but most .. and you would think they would be a bit more cautious since their whole body is so vulnerable in the open. A heavy vehicle can only stop so fast when they cut in front of you or run a stop sign!

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

I have seen remarkably few cyclists who operate as you describe.

The vast majority I see do not follow the rules of the road, and aren't biking safely or responsibly.

Good for you if you do.

melott 2 years, 6 months ago

Thing is, I see far more cyclists breaking the law than following i t.

Hooligan_016 2 years, 6 months ago

Go sit at Iowa and 23rd and count how many cars keep turning left after red.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

And 90% of the time it happens when no one else is at the intersection.

Doesn't make it legal or a good idea, but the field of vision for a cyclist going 5 mph is considerably greater than for a car driver steering a ton of steel at triple the speed or greater.

Bottomline-- breaking the rules of the road in a car is orders of magnitude worse than doing it on a bike.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 6 months ago

"And 90% of the time it happens when no one else is at the intersection."

Which makes the statistic suspect right off the bat...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Yea, poorly phrased on my part. I should have said no one immediately at the intersection.

But my "bottom-line" point still holds.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 6 months ago

While I agree in theory, the problem is that the "bottom-line" doesn't really mean anything if a cyclist runs a stop sign and winds up under the front wheels of a garbage truck. At best, he has a moral victory to enjoy while staring into the mirror at what used to be his mug.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

I, personally, don't run stop signs. That doesn't mean that I come to such a complete stop that I can put a foot on the ground. I can balance a bike for several seconds without little or no forward movement, while making eye contact with other vehicles in the intersection so that everyone can proceed according to the rules of the road.

There have been many times I've done this where drivers became visibly incensed and even verbally abusive, even while I'm waving them through the intersection.

Sadly, what many people on the road (and posting here) want is not safe riding from cyclists, but rather signs of submission to the what they believe are the superior rights of auto drivers.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

So, cyclists are bad, but motorists are worse?

I've seen very few cars simply blow through stop signs, but I've seen many cyclists do that.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Blowing through stop signs is generally pretty stupid.

But the difference is that for a cyclist, the field of vision is so much better, and the speeds they are riding so much slower, that it can quite often be done without incident.

Like I said, I don't recommend it, and I don't do it myself, but doing it on a bike is simply not comparable to doing it in a car.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

And, as I've said, I can't remember the last time I saw a car just blow through a stop sign, but I see bikes doing it regularly.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

And I think I described rather comprehensively the reasons for that, including the fact that the potential negative effects for doing so on a bike isn't even remotely comparable to doing so in a car.

The underlying point is that even though cars and bikes are treated somewhat similarly in the rules of the road, that similarity is to a large extent a fiction because of the dramatic differences in mass and velocity and the difference on the hardness scale between steel and human flesh.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

And yet, they are considered as vehicles, and subject to those same rules.

If bikers don't like that, and aren't willing to abide by the rules, they shouldn't bike on the streets.

repaste 2 years, 6 months ago

Sit at any corner and tell me how many cars stop behind the line - nearly none. we all blow by and stop at the edge of the street.. A bike can slow to 2-3 mph, and see much better than any car.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

The vast majority of those who consistently ride illegally fall into two categories-- people who generally only drive cars, don't see bicycles as serious forms of transportation, and therefore believe they are not subject to traffic laws. The other category is people who aren't capable of getting and maintaining a driver's license, and we should all be glad they're on a bike, and not behind the wheel of 1 ton of steel traveling at high velocity.

I see many more egregiously bad drivers everyday than bike riders. We'd be better off if about 1/4 of all folks now driving cars would turn in their keys and ride a bike or take the "T."

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

There are many bad drivers, of course.

But, I wonder if the percentages bear your version out - in other words, given that many more people drive cars than bicycles, what percentage of each group acts irresponsibly?

In my experience, much more than 1/4 of cyclists I see on the road are irresponsible.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Neither of us has any firm data on the incidence of bad operators, but even if you're right, the reason bike riders can get away with it is because riding stupid on a bike is mostly annoying, not dangerous (to anyone but the bike rider, that is.)

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

They "get away with it" because the city doesn't aggressively enforce traffic laws.

I'm not at all sure that bad riding by cyclists doesn't also create danger for others on the road.

And, I suspect that many bicyclists aren't aware of the correct rules they're supposed to follow, since they don't have to take a test or demonstrate their understanding of those rules.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

The vast majority of traffic infractions go unnoticed or ignored by traffic police. That's mainly because of a lack of resources and/or because traffic patterns prevent officers from being able to pull the culprits over.

I agree that many cyclists don't know the rules of the road. But I also think that many of the incidents of "blowing thru stop signs" are times when bike riders have failed to put a foot on the ground as a show of submission to the auto driver, but have otherwise yielded the right of way. I've seen this negative reaction directed at myself on numerous occasions. (I'm not saying that's what you're referring to.)

Yes, officers should ticket bike riders when they can, but if they start diverting attention away from motor vehicles in order to do so, it would decrease safety on the streets, not increase it.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

They should enforce them on everybody, in my opinion, not just bikers.

At least, they'd get some revenue for the city, and at most, we'd have better drivers and safer streets.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

So how many more cops would you be willing to put in the streets to enforce at the level you'd like? I'd guess we'd need to have at least triple the number of officers currently on patrol to accomplish what you advocate. And if we do that, I'd much rather they focus on illegal driving by motorists, as they are still by far the primary source of serious risk.

grimpeur 2 years, 6 months ago

And your blinkered observational skills are comedic. Thanks.

dlkrm 2 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes we just have to swerve over the center line? Bozo, you're out of your mind!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

It's rare that anyone should ever HAVE to swerve over the center line. If you do that regularly, it's your own poor driving skills that are the problem.

Certainly, it is necessary to occasionally cross the center line when traffic is clear.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 6 months ago

There have been countless occasions when I needed to swerve over the center line to pass another car. Is that any different?

And, if there's a bicyclist that I'm about to pass, and no oncoming traffic, I pull all the way into the other lane, just as though I'm passing another car. It seems to me that if I give them that much room, I don't need to slow down at all, since I'm about 15 feet away. But, that's just me.

parrothead8 2 years, 6 months ago

Actually, it's the law. According to K.S.A 8-1516 (c) (1): The driver of a vehicle overtaking a bicycle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a distance of not less than three feet and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken bicycle.

If you follow the law, there's a very good chance that a portion of your vehicle will be over the center line. It only takes a few seconds of your day to make sure you pass a bicycle safely, so it's not really a big deal.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

BTW, it would appear that the bike rider was at fault here, and he paid a very high price for it. Serious bike riders understand that you don't turn left in front of an SUV (or anyone else.) I wonder if he misjudged the speed of the SUV.

jd1701d 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe that a lot of bikers do cause loads of problems. What I've seen is bikers in the middle of the road, not ridding in single file, not stopping for signs and lights and not using the biking lane even when it's right next to them. I think that the city/state should run a long term bikers safety program for everyone so everyone can be safer, I'm tired of hearing about bikers getting hurt or dying because of people both bikers and drivers not understanding the biking laws.

Are all bikers doing things wrong? No, most bikers in town are ding their best but there are those who are doing things wrong and dangerously. There have been times where I had my turn signal on to turn and while I was starting to turn this biker, in full biker gear, came flying from behind me going straight cutting me off, if I hadn't been able to stop in time I would have ran him over. And don't get me started on those bikers every week south of town.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

They're probably just as big jerks when they're driving a car.

On the other hand, one reason people ride bikes in groups is to get some respect that a single bike rider doesn't. But there are right ways to group ride, and wrong ways.

parrothead8 2 years, 6 months ago

You're pretty consistently discourteous and rude, too, if you hadn't noticed. Do you give all LJW posters a bad name?

repaste 2 years, 6 months ago

They might have a little to learn. They also might have a little attitude from their experiences with drivers. "Stuck behind them" might not have cost you 30 seconds for that mile. A little education on both sides is needed, I would agree some serious cyclist have some learning to do, but they don't give all cyclists a bad name any more than the guy who swerves his truck at our group gives all drivers a bad name.

SloMo 2 years, 6 months ago

If you don't bicycle, you might not realize it, but the safest way for a bicyclist to go through an intersection is to move into the center of the lane and take a whole turn going through the intersection, just as a car would. That's the best way to avoid getting hit by a turning car, and it's also perfectly legal. If a bicyclist does this you should not try to pass him. Of course, once through the intersection, the bicyclist should move back over to the right.

repaste 2 years, 6 months ago

Another helper is to follow a car, off the passenger side close enough to let him "clear" traffic, but not so close as to hit him if he turns or stops. 15 ft. depending on speed. I have seen many suvival guides that recomend this method.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 6 months ago

I used to ride a bike here in town, gave it up about 4 years ago, way to much traffic for a person on two wheels

Paul Peters 2 years, 6 months ago

I drive a car and ride a bike. I also know Don fairly well and have ridden with him many times. I find most drivers to be courteous, but not all. Most bicycle riders are courteous too, but not all of them either. Thoughtless drivers and bike riders irritate me too. Don is an experienced rider who is far from a risk taker and probably never offended a flea on purpose. Accidents happen to the best of us.

57chevy 2 years, 6 months ago

This accident is further proof of why its better to commit murder than assault. That way, the only side of the story told is yours. I have a really hard time believing that a cyclist could move fast enough to get hit after turning left at say 8-10mph. He would then need to get in front of an SUV that is going straight after just stopping at an intersection, moving at say 10-15mph. LPD probably doesn't want to investigate the likelihood that the entire story is BS and the bicyle was going straight at, say 15-20mph and Mr. Minnesota blew through the stop sign as many of the locals here do. Then again, I believe its a right of passage to mow down a biker or two when you attend KU, isn't it? Certainly happens enough. Cars run stop signs and get nothing but a ticket. A biker runs a stop sign and gets dead. I'm pretty sure Darwin's law of survival of the fittest applies here. It means that if you either ride a bicycle or believe in evolution you should get the hell out of Kansas. If you live somewhere else, your neighbors will know that killing their neighbor's is bad. understand that riding a bicycle is not worthy of the death penalty, and will treat you with respect. Surprisingly enough, in many states, running over a bicyclist is considered a crime. That seems unlikely to happen here.

repaste 2 years, 6 months ago

Dead on 57. Nothing says biker was at fault. Driver may not have seen bike, bike most certainly saw car..

irvan moore 2 years, 6 months ago

i ride my bike on the sidewalk (legal as long as not downtown), feel a lot safer and it's easy to pull over or stop when pedestrians are sharing the sidewalk

repaste 2 years, 6 months ago

I too often take the sidewalk - tryi give the walker/joggers space, but every intersection becomes a adventure. Close to 100% of cars pull through crosswalk, then stop. cars turning from all dorections.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

I ride my bike on the sidewalks on 23rd./Clinton Parkway. Cars looking to enter 23rd. just look at traffic for an opening, without looking to see if a bicycle is coming from the other direction. It happens all the time. Of course, instead of a bicycle, it could be a pedestrian or a mother with a stroller. And before anyone says you should ride in the direction of traffic, so they can see you approaching, it should be noted that the sidewalk on the north side, east of Iowa, is intermittent, so riding on the south side is the only real option.

bikeguy 2 years, 6 months ago

Umm bike culture vs the SUV Culture yes there will be more causalities in the coming years. Overweight disabled by their immersions of the American Corporate dream of big cars and big gulps and the cyclist of sustainability radicalism of not stopping at stop signs and agitation of motorist and getting ran over by those who see their lifestyle slipping away. http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/5-ways-europeans-live-better-than-americans/

Getaroom 2 years, 6 months ago

No matter what, this is a tragic accident and respect for everyone concerned should be honored. No one on this blog actually knows knows anything for certain. If anyone of you negative commenters were involved you would desire the same respect.

jayhawkster 2 years, 6 months ago

I ride for both pleasure and transportation. And I have a concealed carry permit. I'm courteous and obey traffic laws. But I'm also prepared.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 6 months ago

If its true that you have the CCH, then you know that it's your responsibility to avoid a conflict.

repaste 2 years, 6 months ago

He sounded like he avoids conflict. I used to carry a rock in my pocket after getting hit/almost hit by far to many apples, beer bottles, gum, cars, etc. This not a game to cyclists. They have been hit on purpose, threatened, swerved at daily. It is life or death to the cyclist. I thank all the good drivers that missed me when I erred.

Linda and Bill Houghton 2 years, 6 months ago

I couldn't get this to post after the appropriate comment--the one by one-eyed wilbur. I am 77 and will quit when I become a hazard for the drivers that accept bicyclists. I ride a lot and have done so for 66 years now. In 2011 I rode a series of distance rides, 125 to 250 miles. I didn't ride them as fast as I would have liked but still finished them well within the time limits specified for the rides. I hope to do the series again in 2013 and to be in better shape than I was a year ago. When I have to quit riding, it is time to start piling on the dirt.

tomatogrower 2 years, 6 months ago

I see a lot of bad cyclists and a lot of bad drivers. It has been determined that the cyclist was at fault. I just think the police need to fine more drivers and cyclists both. I've seen police cars not go after someone running a red light in a car, and they never go after a cyclist running a red light. Bicycles need to follow the same rules as cars, except there are some places in town where it's safer if they are on the sidewalk. Also, get lots of lights and reflectors. Buy a neon vest to wear. I don't know how many times I've been surprised by a cyclist wearing dark colors and not even a reflector. As an old biker friend (motorcycle) used to tell me: "Drive (ride) like everyone is out to get you." I always follow well behind a bicycle until I can safely pass them, especially since I drive a Prius, and I know they can't always hear me. But I expect hand signals and other courtesies from them as well. I used to ride, and always stopped at stop signs, even when there were no cars around. I always gave hand signals, even when there were no cars around. It just isn't that difficult. I have a feeling these same cyclist who don't signal or stop, don't use their turn signals or stop in cars either.

I agree.

I'd like to see the city more aggressively enforce traffic violations.

At the very least, it would generate some revenue, and at best, it might improve the behavior of those on the road.

Linda and Bill Houghton 2 years, 6 months ago

Oneeye Wilbur: I almost never go from Louisiana to Massachusetts on 11th. I do have a hill training ride that I do occasionally. It goes both directions on 12th, 13th, and 14th, but only up hill on 11th. Most of my in town riding is running errands, particularly after having a massive maintenance bill on our 200,000 mile car 1st quarter this year. The errands typically use 31st , 23rd/Clinton Parkway, 19th Street and 6th Street for east/west, Wakarusa, Kasold, Tennessee, and Kentucky for north/south. If I am going to Walmart and Walmart Recycling I make the bicycle haters happy and use th bike path.

Tomatogrower: "It has been determined the the cyclist was at fault." I am not sure whether we have eye-witnesses or this is just the driver's story.

Linda and Bill Houghton 2 years, 6 months ago

jayhawinsf: Your post points out the reason that the experienced rider will ride in the street on 23rd/Clinton Parkway. The motorists are not looking for someone on the sidewalk. On the rare occasions that I do use the sidewalk I am almost panicky that someone will left turn or right turn into me. There was an accident at 23rd and Naismith a few months ago where a pedestrian or cyclist on that southside sidewalk was going the opposite direction (westbound) of the traffic. The driver on Naismith only looked left (where the traffic was coming from) and turned right when there was a break in the automobile traffic.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

You ride in 23rd. St.? More power to you. I don't have the nerves for that. I just slow down at every intersection and driveway and make eye contact with the driver or if he's not looking, just stop.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

a 64 year old man lies critically injured in hospital, will he live?

I pray he will.

is he in mighty pain? I bet he is!

48 comments and 45 of them had commenters bringing in their own agenda; no concern for this man. he just made one error and turned in front of an oncoming SUV. we've got the antibikes, the probikes, heck we've even got the proearther/european lifestyle dude (bikeguy above).

but here we have in an instant our64 year old fellow citizen suffering a tragedy beyond most of our own personal experience!

he won't be the same if he survives.

praying for him.

bd 2 years, 6 months ago

I was wondering the same thing, shame on all of you heartless people! Outgoing prayers!

Jim Johnson 2 years, 6 months ago

If it were not for good drivers in cars there would be a lot more accidents like these. I have always figured that the bigger vehicle has the right-of-way. If I'm on a bike it's the car, if in a car it's the semi, if in a semi it's the train. Pretty good thinking and it's worked for me pretty dang good. Probably would of worked good for Varnau also. If motorcyclist road like bicyclist do they would outlaw motorcycles.

repaste 2 years, 6 months ago

That is the golden rule! big wins. Kind of funny if trying to set out rules/laws for bikes, we are not a car, the first rule is survive.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 6 months ago

I drove a small car for many years, and was then given a rather large minivan. It's a very different driving experience, that's for sure. I used to wait for people to go when it was their right-of-way, and they wouldn't go! Finally I got the hang of it, and I drive much more smoothly in my monster vehicle now.

But there is more to it than that. I'm old enough to remember the middle sixties, when smaller cars began to be common. It was in the press quite often that people seemed to pull out right in front of you a lot, due to the optical illusion that you're much farther away, since your vehicle is so much smaller. But, that doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

family1st 2 years, 6 months ago

With only the driver's account of what happened, of course it is the cyclist's fault. The police are looking for witnesses to determine what actually happened. If anyone saw the accident happen PLEASE contact the Lawrence Police. And IF you were NOT there and did NOT see it happen, please refrain from passing judgement and posting negative and inflamatory comments. A person and his family are hurting, be HUMAN and Compassionate. There is a time and place to get on your soap box and THIS IS NOT IT.

Sarah St. John 2 years, 6 months ago

I am so sorry to read about this. My prayers are with the cyclist and his family, as well as with the SUV driver -- how horrible he must be feeling.

juma 2 years, 6 months ago

Have a suggestion: Instead of spending (wasting) $25+million on a rec center that is questionable, why not spend that money on real bike lanes around the city. Then Lawrence could really claim to be a 'different' Kansas town.

Jim Johnson 2 years, 6 months ago

Bike lanes HUH? Kind of like the concrete road all around the west side of town that you hardly ever see used?

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

Hope both are alright after this unfortunate accident. Not a comment on this particular incident, but based on my observations many bicycle riders operate as though the traffic laws do not pertain to them. This is most obvious about obeying stop signs, riders routinely coast thru; interestingly I don't see motorcycle operators behaving the same way. The problem with this is, if they are in an accident it is they that are likely to reap the consequences.