From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Nov. 12, 1912:
- “Lawrence will be among the first places to be visited by President-elect Woodrow Wilson after the election and one of his first speeches will be made here next month. The president-elect is to be one of the principal speakers at the annual meeting of the National Social Center Association which will be in session in Lawrence for three days in December.”
- “When police court convened last night in extraordinary session three of the young men arrested on Sunday afternoon in a raid on a gambling resort were not present. It has been learned since that two of them left Lawrence on Sunday night for California. The third has not been located as yet. Four of the bunch appeared and pleaded guilty and paid fines amounting to $15.50 each.”
- “A police matron may be added to the police department of Lawrence in the near future. The idea of a matron has been considered for some time, but it is understood now that the W.C.T.U. has taken it up and may ask that a matron be appointed to look after the part of the work that is taken by women in larger city. Just what would be the work of such an official in Lawrence has not been determined as yet but the matron probably would take charge of the charity work that has been left to the policemen previously. The matron would visit the depots, look after cases of poverty that are reported to the department and look after the needs of girls and boys who are detained at the police station."
- “In spite of the reversals in the last two games enthusiasm is running high on the Hill concerning the Nebraska game and a number of signified their intention of taking the trip. A special train leaving here Friday morning after the chapel rally, on the Union Pacific via Manhattan will put the team, band and rooters in Lincoln at six o’clock Saturday morning. A special rate of $7.50 round trip has been obtained by the management and a banner crowd is expected. Since Nebraska has never beaten Kansas on Nebraska soil since the resumption of athletics in 1906, the wise ones have a ‘hunch’ that the old time victory will come to Kansas on Saturday.”
- [Advertisement] “Old Winter is Coming … and there’s many a man who has ‘meant to’ get ready for the cold weather, but who has, for one reason or another, neglected to attend to it. How is it about your place? Is everything in ship-shape down there at the barn and the other outbuildings? Have you storm windows and doors for your house? Stop right now and make a list of the things you absolutely have to have to make your home comfortable for the winter. Then come in and see the quality of our goods and get our prices. C. E. FRIEND. 1046 Mass. St. Both Phones 42.”