Archive for Thursday, November 8, 2012

Election officials told not to release names of provisional ballot voters

November 8, 2012

— Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach's office is telling county officials they shouldn't release names of voters casting provisional ballots.

The advice from Kobach's office Thursday came as a Democratic Rep. Ann Mah of Topeka is seeking a list of such voters so that she can contact such them before their ballots are reviewed.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the memo from Kobach's office from a county clerk who received it.

Mah is a vocal critic of the Republican secretary of state. She trailed her GOP challenger from Tuesday's election by 27 votes out of nearly 11,000 cast.

In the memo, Kobach's office said releasing voter names would violate federal law.

Comments

somedude20 1 year, 5 months ago

If the system was not already corrupt I would say trust it but given the crapola Kris and his cronies have pulled in the last two years(new voter laws/redistricting to favor the R's), show it!
If they can change the voting laws based on a hunch of voter fraud, then there should be NO problem with making sure ALL provisional ballots count...none!

classclown 1 year, 5 months ago

It would be funny if the majority of those ballots were from people that voted for her but intentionally failed to present their ID and have no intention to present it to their election office in order to make a point.

You'd have to love the irony.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 5 months ago

It should be up to the voter themselves to come forward, if they suspect there has been a problem with the vote they cast. After all, having cast a provisional ballot, there must have been some reason for doing so as opposed to casting a traditional ballot. If the voter does not come forward, then the provisional ballot stands.

Liberty275 1 year, 5 months ago

"She said she wants to help voters correct problems affecting their ballots, so their votes will count."

The election is over. You don't get a do-over. Try again next time.

Ribs61 1 year, 5 months ago

This article doesn't mention that Corbet also requested the names. There is also no mention of Kobach establishing a PAC in support of Corbet. I hope the provisional ballets are settled quickly so we can get the election behind us.

MacHeath 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, they are going to have to release the names. The longer they stall , the worse they will look.

katjok 1 year, 5 months ago

It's actually good to know. I was a provisional voter and it was because my advanced voting ballot was never received. I have been in contact with the County Clerks office and they have been helpful and are finding out if my vote was approved.

BitterClinger 1 year, 5 months ago

I'll just bet she does ... "Here dear, let me help you .... I know you 'meant' to vote for me. You filled in the the wrong circle."

kusp8 1 year, 5 months ago

Umm....duh. Sounds like a no brainer not to release the names.