Archive for Thursday, November 8, 2012

Election officials told not to release names of provisional ballot voters

November 8, 2012

— Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach's office is telling county officials they shouldn't release names of voters casting provisional ballots.

The advice from Kobach's office Thursday came as a Democratic Rep. Ann Mah of Topeka is seeking a list of such voters so that she can contact such them before their ballots are reviewed.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the memo from Kobach's office from a county clerk who received it.

Mah is a vocal critic of the Republican secretary of state. She trailed her GOP challenger from Tuesday's election by 27 votes out of nearly 11,000 cast.

In the memo, Kobach's office said releasing voter names would violate federal law.

Comments

kusp8 1 year, 11 months ago

Umm....duh. Sounds like a no brainer not to release the names.

BitterClinger 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll just bet she does ... "Here dear, let me help you .... I know you 'meant' to vote for me. You filled in the the wrong circle."

katjok 1 year, 11 months ago

It's actually good to know. I was a provisional voter and it was because my advanced voting ballot was never received. I have been in contact with the County Clerks office and they have been helpful and are finding out if my vote was approved.

Ribs61 1 year, 11 months ago

This article doesn't mention that Corbet also requested the names. There is also no mention of Kobach establishing a PAC in support of Corbet. I hope the provisional ballets are settled quickly so we can get the election behind us.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

"She said she wants to help voters correct problems affecting their ballots, so their votes will count."

The election is over. You don't get a do-over. Try again next time.

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

Last I checked, she was trailing by 27 votes with a bunch of provisional ballots left. If a few provisional voter needs to verify their addresses in order to get a vote they've already cast to count, that could make the difference between winning and losing. I'd think both Corbet and Mah would want all the votes to count.

Nobody is suggesting that someone "correct" a ballot by changing the actual vote.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 11 months ago

It should be up to the voter themselves to come forward, if they suspect there has been a problem with the vote they cast. After all, having cast a provisional ballot, there must have been some reason for doing so as opposed to casting a traditional ballot. If the voter does not come forward, then the provisional ballot stands.

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

Poll workers are volunteers, and not all of them have adequate training. I watched one tell the person in front of me something that was flat out wrong. I believe he also said that city hall would straighten out the issue with his ballot while implying that no further action was required on this person's part.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 11 months ago

Poll workers may be volunteers, but the voters themselves are engaging in one of the most important civic responsibilities and rights of their lives. They damn well better be prepared to enter that voting booth with a clear understanding of what those rights and responsibilities are. If they are unprepared or if they don't care enough, then shame on them.

That said, should the ballot, or in this case the provisional ballot have been submitted to the satisfaction of the voter, as evidenced by their action or lack of action, then that should be good enough.

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

Their right is to vote. Kobach is the one throwing out roadblocks to prevent that from happening. This is just another of those roadblocks. If they are told by an official that no further action is required on their part for that vote to be registered, and this turns out to be incorrect, then the real shame is on our system and not the voter.

classclown 1 year, 11 months ago

It would be funny if the majority of those ballots were from people that voted for her but intentionally failed to present their ID and have no intention to present it to their election office in order to make a point.

You'd have to love the irony.

somedude20 1 year, 11 months ago

If the system was not already corrupt I would say trust it but given the crapola Kris and his cronies have pulled in the last two years(new voter laws/redistricting to favor the R's), show it!
If they can change the voting laws based on a hunch of voter fraud, then there should be NO problem with making sure ALL provisional ballots count...none!