Archive for Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lawrence police working to identify adult who sent sexual pictures to child

November 6, 2012

A Lawrence parent contacted police early Monday, just after midnight, to report that an adult in another state had texted pictures of a sexual nature to the parent’s pre-teen child, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley.

The suspect in the case is not known to the family, and police are working to identify the individual who sent the messages.

Comments

junkcrap 1 year, 10 months ago

Just curious, how do they know it was an ADULT who sent the pictures? The police are still working to identify the sender!

rcr 1 year, 10 months ago

If the picture was of a sexual nature, I'm guessing it was probably pretty obvious that it was an adult in the picture, although that doesn't necessarily mean that an adult sent it.

FarneyMac 1 year, 10 months ago

Could have been a wrong number, I suppose/hope.

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

Both are good points. Just to add a third, it's possible someone other than the phone's owner sent the message.

The only way to get to the bottom is to find out if the girl had been in contact with the person in the picture, and to what extent.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

Anyone see the commercial on TV for a new smart phone. A guy gets in cab going to the airport. His two young children run out and touch phones, transferring information, the children telling Dad they made a movie and for him to watch it on the plane. The wife then comes out, touches phones and says she too made a movie to share, but then seductively suggests he not watch it on the plane. He "gets it", finally.

I thought of that when the posters above asked if it was an adult who sent the information. If the wife had just accidently touched her phone to her children's phone, suddenly, she'd be guilty of all sorts of crimes. Technology will get to the point when someone will send something inappropriate, not meaning to.

obamasocks 1 year, 10 months ago

Hate to be that guy, but why give a pre-teen a cell? And better yet why enable texting? Unplug your children; this could have been simply some guy sending it to his girlfriend and typoing the phone num. or it could have been spam. Or it could be some perv who preys upon kids with phones. Moral is: if they didn't have a cell phone, they wouldn't have seen the pictures.

Armored_One 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't see much need for a kid to have a cell phone period, but that is just me.

Danielle Brunin 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree to a point. However, I got to thinking about this. Our child will be staying home alone during the summers some years from now, and we don't have a landline. Do we buy them a phone so they have a way to communicate with us? Do we block text messaging and the internet, or do we just go back to a landline? Adding an extra line to a plan is cheap. Landlines are not. Eventually we may find ourselves being "those" people. Then it's not as clear cut.

Missingit 1 year, 10 months ago

I gave my child a cell and I can track their whereabouts with the GPS and a app. It's the only way I can give her a big brother.

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

"Hate to be that guy, but why give a pre-teen a cell?"

Kids having a cell phone is a good thing, in case they get lost or the parents need to talk with them immediately. I'm not sure they need a phone that does text, images or video.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

They have the number how hard is it to track down the owner? What is this, Mayberry with Barney Fife?

kef104 1 year, 10 months ago

Perhaps it was a temp phone. No contract, no id tied to it. Perhaps more than one person had access to the phone. Perhaps it was stolen. Perhaps the Police do have an id and are making sure they can arrest and convict before leaking more data. And if this is Mayberry, only Barney would be running around screaming that everything should be solved yesterday without any facts established first. Is your idea to arrest anyone, make sure the public knows everything you did to make the arrests, then wait for the facts to see how bad you might have blown it? A little patience goes a long ways.

Kontum1972 1 year, 10 months ago

they have a new app now that tells when to use the restroom.....and when too wipe, this is what technology looks like!

FloridaSunshine 1 year, 10 months ago

I wondered when they would come up with that app...some people really need it! I know two people who are actually addicted to Facebook, and I'm sure there are thousands of others, so I'm not surprised at anything.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

This article is a shining example of just how hokey this newspaper is. There are obviously about 10,000 details left out that any other area paper would include. Dolph Simons is seriously not someone that shoukd be in charge of a newspaper.

Lawrence Morgan 1 year, 10 months ago

I may not agree with his politics, but Dolph Simons runs an excellent newspaper, as do all of his staff. Your comments should be removed.

FloridaSunshine 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, Jack...then why are you on here?

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

What would you have them do, Jack, draw you a picture? Yes, they have the phone number & can track it. That's obvious to most of us. What legitimate details are missing that would enhance the story for you?

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Who, what, when, where, how. You know the basic elements of reporting they teach in 7th grade journalism.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 10 months ago

Who - teenager (can't identify), what - sexually explicit photo, when - recently (don't really need to know exact date), where - child's cell phone, Lawrence KS, how - via typical cell phone technology. I think that pretty much covers the story until the Police locate the sender and establish more details.......... You're welcome.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

A class I'm sure Dolph failed.

FloridaSunshine 1 year, 10 months ago

Again, Jack, if you're having such a rotten time of it, why are you on here?

Take_a_letter_Maria 1 year, 10 months ago

Actually, just because they have a phone number doesn't necessarily mean they can track down the sender.

If it is a prepaid cell, they don't even necessarily know who the owner is.

Even if it is a regular cell the phone may have been lost or stolen.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

The police just did that very thing in the carpet cleaning drug king case.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 10 months ago

They already knew who they were observing in that case. The order of events worked in their favor; it's not the same here.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Another possibility is he butt dialed. Without mens rea they can't convict however.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

And I say 'he' when it could just as easily be a 'she'. With reporting like this it might be an 'it'. Who knows.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 10 months ago

Ah, for Pete's sake get of the "reporting" comments - the story is complete as written.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

You don't think little facts like what state, possible relationships, ages, context, number if incidents might be important? This is about 1/10 of a story. Why even print this garbage?

somebodynew 1 year, 10 months ago

because if they didn't and people like you found out about it, you would b*&&^^^ to high heaven that the LJW never prints current things. Most of us realize they can only print what the LPD provides them (and they are normally short on details).

OonlyBonly 1 year, 10 months ago

State - Kansas, Possible relationships - unknown, ages - pre-teen, context - sexual photo(s), number - pictures (plural). You really have a bone to pic over this article. Don't know why. You gonna come up with other "missing" information?

OonlyBonly 1 year, 10 months ago

State - Lawrence, KS, relationships - unknown to family, context - sexual photos, number of incidents - One. You're ragging on a story unnecessarily.

FloridaSunshine 1 year, 10 months ago

I think it's important to remind the parents of little ones (and older ones) what can happen when those little ones (and older ones) have access to technology. These days it seems parents have to be told over and over and over...

We'll get the details you require as they come in, I'm sure.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

It fails the basic elements of journalism. As any 7th grader can tell you, that means don't print it.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, JACK...then why are you on here?

jehovah_bob 1 year, 10 months ago

Who dials phone numbers anymore? If there's someone I want to send naughty pictures to, they are most likely already saved in my contacts.

I find it unlikely that this is a case of fat fingers.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 10 months ago

Anthony Wiener's already outa congress.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 10 months ago

Jackmckee:

reread this line:

I believe this line in the story covers your issues.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Somebody sent something to someone. Fantastic journalism. Really worth printing.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, Jack...THEN why are you on here?

FloridaSunshine 1 year, 10 months ago

BECAUSE...parents, these days, have to be told over and over and over the dangers technology can present to their children. BECAUSE...evidently, parents just do not GET IT. Perhaps if they see it enough in print, it will help them remember what parenting is all about. HOPEFULLY.

FloridaSunshine 1 year, 10 months ago

oneeye...great observation!! I agree. And, I would LOVE to know...why does ANYONE REALLY, REALLY need texting? The only time I take my cell phone out of my purse, and turn it on, is when I am in my car alone. Is anyone really so important that they need to hold onto a cell phone as if it's attached to their hand? Or their ear...which I see all the time. If my granddaughter ever apprears with a cell phone attached to her ear, well, she will not be as fond of Grandmama thereafter! BUT, she has smart parents who use cell phones only in emergencies...no texting, no tweeting, no whatever one does with a cell phone these days rather than calling during emergencies...thank goodness for the very few parents around with common sense!

Catalano 1 year, 10 months ago

Jack: Go vote. There's a local race on the ballot for online whiner with too much time on his hands who knows it all. You're the candidate. Wilbur's your running mate.

Rex Hargis 1 year, 10 months ago

Jack If you are investigating a crime, you give the press bare necessities. Who, what, what, when is unimportant if it interferes with the investigation. No, I do not favor a police state.

Deb Engstrom 1 year, 10 months ago

My middle schooler got something like this a few months ago from a 512 area code. She assumed it was a mistake, deleted it and that was the end of it. I thought about contacting them myself, but chose to leave it alone. Sometimes that's best.