Archive for Saturday, November 3, 2012

Man critically injured after three-story fall from balcony

November 3, 2012

A LifeStar air ambulance responded to a man who suffered critical injuries after falling from a third-story balcony in the 3100 block of Ousdahl Road about 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

The fall was believed to be accidental and emergency responders described the man as being in his early 20’s, according to Journal-World news partner Operation 100. He was transported to Kansas University Medical Center, in Kansas City, Kan.

Comments

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

He'll be lucky to survive a fall like that. I did a 20-foot tumble out of a deer stand when I was about this guy's age. Not fun.

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 1 month ago

It was the 2nd floor balcony and he broke is back.....

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 1 month ago

There is no reason or cause to assume this student was drunk. Quite a few students are at KU to learn something. Accidents happen to us all and when it is as bad as this one was, the last thing people should be doing is speculating as to how he is going to pay the bill.

FlintHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

"rando1965 1 hour, 19 minutes ago

NOT A COLLEGE STUDENT. HE WAS A MAINTENANCE WORKER FOR THE APARTMENT COMPLEX"

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 1 month ago

Many college students are on their parents' insurance. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to any conclusions. As a decent human being, I don't mind being "stuck" with a share of the bill for saving a life of another human being, no more than I would feel "stuck" with a share of the bill for putting out a fire or capturing a criminal.

flyboy1 2 years, 1 month ago

Observant! Please tell me "oh smart-one", what makes you think the tax payers will be responsible for this bill??

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 1 month ago

Someone is seriously injured and you are all on here complaining about taxes? What's wrong with you people?!?!?

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm only taking it personally b/c I know the injured party. He has been a good friend for several years now.

Randall Barnes 2 years, 1 month ago

not a college student. he was a maintenance worker for the apartment complex.

FlintHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, rando: The observant one and his/her ilk won't "hear" you. They have an aversion to fact and truth because it doesn't fit their world view. My bet is that he/she will continue to complain about a mythical drunk college student putting a mythical burden on mythical decent citizens. Since when have facts stood in the way of propaganda?

hujiko 2 years, 1 month ago

Bunch of ageists around these parts.

All you old farts forget to turn off your turn signals. So there.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 1 month ago

Sending good wishes for the man's recovery.

workinghard 2 years, 1 month ago

My son was about this age when he fell off a 3 story building onto cement. Fortunately there were no head or back injuries, but a lot of other broken parts. Several operations and a year and a half of physical therapy later, you wouldn't know it had happened. I call him my miracle child. Not one penny of taxpayers money was used, and it cost a pretty penny. He brings joy to my life every day. He never remembered what happened just before he fell or immediately after though he was awake and talking. I hope this young man recovers as well as my son did. To his parents--yes the road to recovery will be rough, but I always thought the alternative was a lot worse. Hang in there, and make use of any and all services you can find. The hospital social worker is a great resource.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

Next question, what is a maintenance worker doing at 2:30 AM on the balcony? What was so important that it couldn't wait for daylight? Was the worker actually on the job?

---observant, I'm so glad you had such a letter perfect youth, nothing at all to blush about! why don't you publish your entire youth on here and let us all judge it!

2;30am? if you're that tennant, maybe you want your heater fixed then, or maybe the window has gotten broken and has to be fixed right away. jeeeeeez dude! now go take a chill pll and crawl under a rock.

acg 2 years, 1 month ago

And once again, observant is wrong!! Having worked property mgmt for a long time in the Lawrence area, for mostly "student ghettos" as you call them, I can name several reasons our maintenance would be called to a tenant's apartment in the middle of the night: heater is out, water is leaking somewhere, there's a heavy gas smell, major infestation of a stinging or biting bug, fire issues, alarm issues, unit was robbed-glass was broken-maintenance must cover until repaired, etc. As a manager I had to go out personally in the middle of the night to deal with parking problems and to have cars towed, because of police complaints in the complex, major party complaints, etc. So, as usual, you don't know what you're talking about and yet you continue to spout off at the mouth. SMH!!

deec 2 years, 1 month ago

My son is an apartment complex maintenance man and the staff take turns with a pager so they can take emergency calls 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. It is not unusual for the workers to receive calls in the middle of the night.

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 1 month ago

Based upon what he has posted via Facebook - none of you are even close to what happened. I could post everything here, but that would be a huge violation of his privacy.

He fractured several vertebrae and deserves more respect than what most of you are even attempting to provide.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

If he posted things on Facebook, he has no reasonable expectation of privacy, I'd say.

Why not explain what happened?

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 1 month ago

That's why we have this wonderful thing called a newspaper! It would make more sense for them to research and post the story.

Also.... Facebook limits visibility - so you're also wrong.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, we'd have to consult a lawyer.

Bob Forer 2 years, 1 month ago

60 percent of all falls from 30 feet or higher are fatal. HOpe the guy recovers fully. He is lucky to have survived.

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 1 month ago

For an update: the individual injured has been transported to a spinal specialist rehab facility in Denver, CO.

torrspe 2 years ago

you people are pathetic. The victim is my roomate. Hes a college Grad, He works for the Connection. The connection is one of the best apartment complexes in lawrence, id say hands down the best, and you call it a student ghetto? And after all the trouble he and his family have gone through, you sit here on your computer and post offensinve uninsighful material basically condemning him and making it seem like he deserved to fall. The kid has 5 FRACTURED VERTEBRAE and just got another piece of shattered spine removed from his spinal cord yesterday, he most likely should have died and all you do is sit here and complain about how your gonna have to pay more taxes becuase of this? THis is sickening and horribly sad. Well, his mom's a doctor and all of his friends are raising money for him so you keep sitting there and posting ridiculous nonsensical, judgemental comments on LJW. p.s. -keep the prayers coming.