Archive for Saturday, November 3, 2012

Man critically injured after three-story fall from balcony

November 3, 2012

A LifeStar air ambulance responded to a man who suffered critical injuries after falling from a third-story balcony in the 3100 block of Ousdahl Road about 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

The fall was believed to be accidental and emergency responders described the man as being in his early 20’s, according to Journal-World news partner Operation 100. He was transported to Kansas University Medical Center, in Kansas City, Kan.

Comments

torrspe 1 year, 4 months ago

you people are pathetic. The victim is my roomate. Hes a college Grad, He works for the Connection. The connection is one of the best apartment complexes in lawrence, id say hands down the best, and you call it a student ghetto? And after all the trouble he and his family have gone through, you sit here on your computer and post offensinve uninsighful material basically condemning him and making it seem like he deserved to fall. The kid has 5 FRACTURED VERTEBRAE and just got another piece of shattered spine removed from his spinal cord yesterday, he most likely should have died and all you do is sit here and complain about how your gonna have to pay more taxes becuase of this? THis is sickening and horribly sad. Well, his mom's a doctor and all of his friends are raising money for him so you keep sitting there and posting ridiculous nonsensical, judgemental comments on LJW. p.s. -keep the prayers coming.

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 5 months ago

For an update: the individual injured has been transported to a spinal specialist rehab facility in Denver, CO.

Bob Forer 1 year, 5 months ago

60 percent of all falls from 30 feet or higher are fatal. HOpe the guy recovers fully. He is lucky to have survived.

thechosenone 1 year, 5 months ago

excuse me, un-observant. 1) Student ghetto..? with a pool, hottub, sand volleyball, a workout gym, free tanning, free wifi and dish? ur retarded. 2) He has insurance, one of his parents is a doctor. Dont complain about things u can only assume about. ur probably on here complaining bc u cant make a decent living. thats my assumption.and Did it ever occur to you that The 'maintenance worker' might just live at The apartment complex and be a grad student? thats what he was doing on his balcony at 230. i hope you dont make yourself look like this much of a fool in real life. thank you for your structured and well thought out opinion. but with all due respect. go f*ck yourself.

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 5 months ago

Based upon what he has posted via Facebook - none of you are even close to what happened. I could post everything here, but that would be a huge violation of his privacy.

He fractured several vertebrae and deserves more respect than what most of you are even attempting to provide.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

Next question, what is a maintenance worker doing at 2:30 AM on the balcony? What was so important that it couldn't wait for daylight? Was the worker actually on the job?

---observant, I'm so glad you had such a letter perfect youth, nothing at all to blush about! why don't you publish your entire youth on here and let us all judge it!

2;30am? if you're that tennant, maybe you want your heater fixed then, or maybe the window has gotten broken and has to be fixed right away. jeeeeeez dude! now go take a chill pll and crawl under a rock.

workinghard 1 year, 5 months ago

My son was about this age when he fell off a 3 story building onto cement. Fortunately there were no head or back injuries, but a lot of other broken parts. Several operations and a year and a half of physical therapy later, you wouldn't know it had happened. I call him my miracle child. Not one penny of taxpayers money was used, and it cost a pretty penny. He brings joy to my life every day. He never remembered what happened just before he fell or immediately after though he was awake and talking. I hope this young man recovers as well as my son did. To his parents--yes the road to recovery will be rough, but I always thought the alternative was a lot worse. Hang in there, and make use of any and all services you can find. The hospital social worker is a great resource.

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 5 months ago

Sending good wishes for the man's recovery.

hujiko 1 year, 5 months ago

Bunch of ageists around these parts.

All you old farts forget to turn off your turn signals. So there.

Randall Barnes 1 year, 5 months ago

not a college student. he was a maintenance worker for the apartment complex.

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 5 months ago

Someone is seriously injured and you are all on here complaining about taxes? What's wrong with you people?!?!?

flyboy1 1 year, 5 months ago

Observant! Please tell me "oh smart-one", what makes you think the tax payers will be responsible for this bill??

MacHeath 1 year, 5 months ago

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 5 months ago

Many college students are on their parents' insurance. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to any conclusions. As a decent human being, I don't mind being "stuck" with a share of the bill for saving a life of another human being, no more than I would feel "stuck" with a share of the bill for putting out a fire or capturing a criminal.

observant 1 year, 5 months ago

3100 Ousdahl,.drunk college student. Taxpayers stuck for bill for stupidity.

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 5 months ago

It was the 2nd floor balcony and he broke is back.....

riverdrifter 1 year, 5 months ago

He'll be lucky to survive a fall like that. I did a 20-foot tumble out of a deer stand when I was about this guy's age. Not fun.

Norma Jeane Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

Accidental? Probably. Alcohol involved? Most probably.

Still, my wishes for a speedy recovery. No one deserves that.