Archive for Thursday, November 1, 2012

Kobach predicts 68 percent election turnout in Kansas

November 1, 2012, 3:30 p.m. Updated November 1, 2012, 5:28 p.m.

— Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach predicted Thursday that the state would see a 68 percent voter turnout in Tuesday's elections.

Kobach said during a news conference that if the prediction held true that it would be the smallest percentage of Kansas voters casting ballots in a general election since 2000, when turnout was 67 percent.

Both 2000 and 2012 are oddities in Kansas elections in that they are points in the election cycles where there are no races for statewide offices, including U.S. Senate races.

In 2008, when 72 percent of Kansas voters cast ballots, those campaigns were aggressive in encouraging voters to get to the polls, either in person or through advance voting, Kobach said.

"That's not happening," the Republican secretary of state said. "I'm challenging voters to prove me wrong."

All four of the state's U.S. House members are seeking re-election this year, but only the 2nd District and 4th District have contested races. All 125 seats in the Kansas House and all 40 in the state Senate are being contested. Five of the 10 seats on the State Board of Education are on the ballot, but only three are contested.

Kansas voters also are being asked to approve a constitutional amendment that would change the way boats are classified for property tax purposes. The change would lower the taxation rate on watercraft and is being sought by the Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism as a means for encourage more Kansas residents to purchase boats and register them in the state.

Kobach said he hoped voters proved him wrong on Tuesday as they did in the August primary when he set the bar too low for turnout. He expected an 18.5 percent turnout for the primary, while the final count was 23 percent. However, he said the slower pace of advance voting didn't give him too much optimism that turnout would be high.

As of Thursday, 244,964 advance ballots had been cast, including 110,616 in person at county election sites. Nearly 300,000 advance ballots were cast in 2008.

Republican Gov. Sam Brownback, who isn't on the ballot, began a two-day motorcycle tour through eastern and central Kansas to promote GOP legislative candidates and encourage residents to vote. Brownback has been active in supporting conservative candidates this election cycle, particularly those seeking Senate seats.

Comments

Antonym 1 year, 9 months ago

I voted today. They made me take off my sun glasses when they checked my photo ID. I told her they were prescription and I couldn't see without them. I'm suprised they didn't try to make me shave my beard too. What a joke.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

As long as they let you put them back on to vote, what's the problem?

turfmaniac 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh my! They made you take your glasses off to check your ID. Life is tough isn't it?

1 year, 9 months ago

First world problems.

rockchalker52 1 year, 9 months ago

68%, eh? I got that on a science test once or twice. You'd think I'd be voting republican.

turfmaniac 1 year, 9 months ago

I would love to know why anyone thinks that having to show a photo ID to vote is wrong? The voter ID law is superb and helps to contain voter fraud. Kris Kobach is the best thing to hit Kansas in a long time.

turfmaniac 1 year, 9 months ago

You can get them free of charge at Motor Vehicles. Your fault you paid $30.00.

Claire Williams 1 year, 9 months ago

You know what isn't free? The documentation that you need in order to get a "free" ID. They don't just give you an ID on your word. You need documents to prove identity first, like a birth certificate. Getting your birth certificate costs money that many minorities, the impoverished, and the elderly may not have to spare. There is also the issue of getting transportation to a DMV to get an ID, if you do not have a vehicle, money for other transportation, or are home bound due to illness or infirmity. Nowhere has a study been done that shows voter fraud is a problem in Kansas (or elsewhere), and so the main "reason" for these voter ID laws is simply an unproven hypothesis, and shouldn't be used to form policy with.

turfmaniac 1 year, 9 months ago

Bullcrap - That's all it is. If you can't figure out how to get a photo ID then you don't deserve to vote

chootspa 1 year, 8 months ago

Some voters are more worthy of their constitutional rights than others in your world. Some poor and elderly "don't deserve to vote." Nice.

There's a case of a 93 year old woman in Philly, as an example. She was adopted, so after tracking down her birth certificate, her name doesn't match any of her current records, and all the adoption papers were destroyed. Does she not deserve to vote?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 9 months ago

You know very damned well that this "voter ID law" is a blatant attempt to suppress minority and hesitant voters who may vote Democratic in Kansas.. I think that Kobach midght even have a pen somewhere to herd together those he suspects are not qualified to vote like gays, pro choice advocates, Democrats, Independants, Undecided voters, and anyone tagged by that facist sheriff out in Arizona.

Dot't provide cover for this jerk.

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

So you're saying that SRS benefits are a constitutional right?

turfmaniac 1 year, 9 months ago

You have a very warped opinion of Kris Kobach. I don't know where you get these ideas but you are way off base. Kris Kobach is a fair and decent man. I'm sorry if you don't believe me but I know him and I know he is doing a great job. All you are spouting is the usual Kobach bashing Democratic talking points. Get some new material.

turfmaniac 1 year, 9 months ago

Why would the voter ID law suppress minorities and what is a hesitant voter?

Claire Williams 1 year, 9 months ago

See my reply to turfmaniac above.

Sharon Nottingham 1 year, 8 months ago

i can predict that 100% of Kansans don't like Kobach...