Archive for Friday, May 25, 2012

Four area teenagers taken to hospital after wreck on County Road 458

May 25, 2012, 12:57 a.m. Updated May 25, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

Four teenagers were taken to area hospitals after a single-car accident Thursday night. Douglas County Sherrif’s Office Sgt. Steve Lewis said the accident occurred about 7 p.m. near the 1500 block of North 1000 Road, also called County Road 458, east of Wells Park. Kathryn Norris, 16, was driving a 2000 Toyota Sienna with six other teenagers in the car when it overturned into the south ditch of the road.

Kayla Goldman, 15, and Cloe Hayes, 16, were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital by ground ambulance. Luke Oberrieder, 16, was taken to Overland Park Regional. Emily Robertson, 16, was later taken by her parents to LMH.

The driver has not been cited but officers believed contributing factors to the accident included distractions in the car, Lewis said.

Comments

MtnHiker 10 months ago

Ya know, I was the first one on the scene. They were coming towards me and rolled. They were not going that fast. One young lady was ejected and I spent over 30 mins in the trees holding a towel to a pretty significant injury in her leg and talking to her and the driver. What happened to her has happened to every driver at least once in their life. She turned her head to say something and drifted over. She then over corrected and dropped one tire off the blacktop...a simple accident that could have happened to anyone. And I am saying that as an adult with over 10 years of professional driving experience.

On a side note, I would be very interested to know if Chloe is ok. She was the one ejected and I was never able to find out how her leg turned out, so any of you that know the families and could comment how she was I would appreciate it.

sierraclub 1 year, 10 months ago

The skid marks started on the wrong side of the road. It looks like the driver was in the wrong lane for some reason. Avoiding an animal, then panicked and hit the brakes too hard from what the skid marks show. But, the police report should tell what happened. There was a witness to the accident, his information would be on the police report as well.

torid 1 year, 10 months ago

Accidents happen to everyone, including skilled drivers. It's not exactly fair to assume that because the driver is 16 she's an irresponsible driver.

It's also ridiculous to believe that girls pay less attention than boys do while driving. Attention paid doesn't vary based on sex; it varies based on each individual.

imastinker 1 year, 10 months ago

My folks took the radio out of the car and didn't allow me to have friends in the car. Of course I did it anyway, but got cought about 1/3 of the time and didn't break the rule too often because driving priveliges got suspended. My first speeding ticket was a month with no car too.

I remember it really sucking at the time but I had no accidents.

sunny 1 year, 10 months ago

I would never let a 16 year old pack a vehicle with other children. Yes I certainly would know who and how many were in my 16 year olds car.

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

More proof that 16 year olds are the most likely age to have accidents of this type. Can only imagine the horseplay and grab arse that was going on prior to the accident! Maybe it was fortunate that the car was jammed full (with 7 occupants) less space for passengers to be thrown around; fortunately, it sounds like no one was ejected!

sunny 1 year, 10 months ago

Good kids? How good do you think they'd be if the driver would have killed a family or killed one of the passengers? Being a good kid has nothing to do with it!

It's just plain stupid to allow a bunch of 'kids' to be in a vehicle with no adult supervision!

ILoveLawrence 1 year, 10 months ago

These are indeed good kids - I know the driver and both her parents. Accidents happen and I am glad there were no worse injuries. As far as driving age, if a driver turned 16 prior to December of 2011, they are grandfathered in under the old legal driving age rules. The driver in this case falls under these rules, not the new ones.

bornon7 1 year, 10 months ago

I think gccs14r might be right. Don't you have to be 17 now to drive legally?! I think that law is about a year old....anyone know?

acg 1 year, 10 months ago

Hope everyone is okay. In a few years my oldest will be able to drive. I shudder at the thought of him being in control of 3000 lbs of death machine.

chemgem 1 year, 10 months ago

I know these kids, and they are indeed good kids. That has no bearing on the issue of a car accident. As a parent of teenagers, things happen and it's evidenced by the stories we all read every year about things just like this.

gccs14r 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought under-18 drivers had some restrictions on number of unrelated passengers and hours of operation.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

Schools out for summer....drive cautiously

Mollie New Leaf 1 year, 10 months ago

How scary! I hope they all recover well, mentally as well as physically. Poor kids.

otto 1 year, 10 months ago

Wells overlook park is a county owned ( I think) park just east of 59 hwy on north 1000 rd. It is your typical outdoor area for a park plus a large overlook tower that you can climb and look out over the Wakarusa River valley.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 1 year, 10 months ago

Seven teenage girls in a car means no one is paying attention to the road.

Seven teenage boys in a car means no one is paying attention to the speedometer.

Parents: For every teen you add to a car (without any adults present), you are probably doubling the likelyhood of an accident. Yes, this includes your "good" kids with good grades, too.

meggers 1 year, 10 months ago

What is Wells Park? Wells Overlook Park?

Hope all of the kids recover okay.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 10 months ago

7 people in a Toyota Sienna? At least Lawrence teens buy into the concept of carpooling to save gas/reduce emissions.