Archive for Friday, May 25, 2012

Lawrence man accused of robbing Topeka bank 12 hours after posting bond in Lawrence

May 25, 2012, 3:43 p.m. Updated May 25, 2012, 3:52 p.m.

Federal prosecutors accuse a 23-year-old Lawrence man of robbing a Topeka bank Thursday afternoon, about 12 hours after he posted bond in Douglas County related to an arrest on suspicion of two car-wash burglaries.

According to U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom’s office, Paul Stewart Wade was taken into custody Thursday evening in Ellis County as law enforcement officers stopped a blue Volkswagen Jetta that matched a description of the robbery vehicle earlier in Topeka.

In both of his arrests, witnesses gave authorities vehicle descriptions that led officers to Wade.

A U.S. Bank branch in Topeka was robbed after 4 p.m. Thursday, and police were looking for the vehicle that had a license plate registered to an address in Lawrence.

According to an affidavit filed by FBI special agent Bruce Hudson in the federal case Friday afternoon, the suspect gave a teller a note stating: “This is a robbery give me all the money in both your drawers or I will use my gun,” although the teller never saw a gun.

A Kansas Highway Patrol trooper Thursday night stopped the blue Volkswagen Jetta seen at the bank hours earlier on Interstate 70 near Hays, and arrested Wade and recovered a pillowcase containing money that matched evidence at the scene. He’s charged with one count of bank robbery.

Hours before he was arrested Thursday, Wade had already had trouble with the law. Lawrence police said he was arrested as one of two suspects in two burglaries Wednesday night at car washes at 2828 Iowa and 3560 W. Sixth St. Paul and his brother, John Kenneth Wade, 18, were both arrested after a car stop on Sixth Street based on a vehicle description provided to police at the Iowa Street burglary. According to the federal affidavit, John Wade was not with Paul Wade during the alleged bank robbery, and Paul Wade had taken the keys to the Jetta that day from his family home in the 3000 block of Campfire Drive.

“They did not know Paul Wade’s current whereabouts, but believed he might be returning to Colorado where he attended college,” according to court records.

Police said in the car-wash burglaries earlier the men were suspected of using an axe to try to damage cash boxes at the car washes, but they were unsuccessful.

Both Paul and John Wade were freed from the Douglas County Jail about 4 a.m. Thursday after Paul Wade posted $9,000 bond and John Wade posted $4,500 bond. Both men were given notice to appear in court On June 7 in Douglas County.

But federal authorities now accuse Paul Wade of robbing the bank in Topeka later Thursday afternoon. According to an affidavit filed in the federal case, investigators accuse Wade of indicating to bank staff members that he had a gun.

Comments

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 11 months ago

How ironic, someone from Lawrence robbing a bank in Topeka.. Either way someone from Lawrence will find a way to blame it on Topeka lol

somedude20 2 years, 11 months ago

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

When you get knocked down you gotta get back up, I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer but I know enough, to know, If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

I lit my brain with Rot-Gut whiskey 'Till all my pain was chicken fried And I had dudes with badges frisk me Teach me how to swallow pride

I took advice no fool would take I got some habits I can't shake I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know enough to know If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough When you get knocked down, you gotta get back up That's the way it is in life and love If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

I've been up and down and down and out I've been left and right and wrong Well I've walked the walk and I've run my mouth I've been on the short end for too long

But if they gave medals for honky tonk wars Hell, I'd keep mine in my chest of drawers With my IRS bills and divorce papers and all that stuff If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough When you get knocked down, you gotta get back up I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know enough to know If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough"

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

They are called lyrics that go to a thing called a song. Let me know if you need more education

ksjayhawk74 2 years, 11 months ago

If at first you don't succeed... Try try again...

Why was he driving west on I-70 from Topeka? If he wanted to get out of state, he should have gone East to Missouri. If he wanted to get out of the country, he should have gone South towards Texas.

It's a very fair assumption that he was trying to evade prosecution from his earlier crime, which I'm pretty sure it a charge by itself.

pace 2 years, 11 months ago

It must suck to be this guy's bondsman.

JackMcKee 2 years, 11 months ago

Big deal, Brownback robs the entire state on a daily basis.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes Jack, become governor to rip off citizens. Have any of you anti Brownback folks realized when California and Illinois (great benefits and gov. giveways) file bankruptcy we in Kansas will have to pay. Quite a few other shaky states will follow.

California bailout = you pay

How do you feel about your tax bucks going to pay for free cell phones for those living in California section 8 housing? We in Kansas don't go that far, but pay we will.

Honestly I used to take pride our state is solvent. Maybe I will become a socialist and stand in line with my hand out. Maybe it's all over and just like Spain, Ireland, and Greece we should start selling off national assets to keep the lights on.

JackMcKee 2 years, 11 months ago

Kansas will be bankrupt long before California, Illinois or any other state. Sam the sham has the flames roaring to burn this place to the ground.

irvan moore 2 years, 11 months ago

probably not studying rocket science at school

OldEnuf2BYurDad 2 years, 11 months ago

Nothing says "Stolen money in HERE" like a pillowcase with no pillow.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 11 months ago

My money is on drugs. Drugs do not discriminate.

Liberty275 2 years, 11 months ago

Innocent until proven guilty. I'll not jump on a bandwagon.

However, it would really be nice if people figured out once and for all that stealing is wrong and that they shouldn't do it.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 11 months ago

Choosing I-70 West as your escape route after robbing a northeast Kansas bank is akin to making yourself a clay pigeon at a skeet range.

pace 2 years, 11 months ago

Union/? are you pretending to be stupid?

2 years, 11 months ago

they are innocent until proven guilty,but give the guy a break he needed some money because he spent all of his cash on the first bail bonds man lol

waitjustaminute 2 years, 11 months ago

Some of you big thinkers are completely missing the big picture. Arrested, released, commit another crime, arrested once again, thankfully. A perfect example of how completely screwed up the criminal justice system is. The courts and jails and prisons are full of repeat offenders because of too lax laws and lazy prosecution. And that's about all I have to say about that.

Shelley Bock 2 years, 10 months ago

LarryNative is correct. The cost of holding everyone pending resolution of the case is unreasonable, incredibly costly and unconstitutional. There are specific guidelines which the magistrate follows when the person appears in court or guidelines established by local judges based on the established local criteria.

Under your proposal "waitjustaminute", your signature on a ticket, which is a promise to appear in court, would be insufficient and you should go to jail for your speeding violation. Want that to be the new procedure?