Archive for Friday, May 25, 2012

Douglas County Commissioner Nancy Thellman seeking a second term

May 25, 2012

Douglas County Commissioner Nancy Thellman filed Friday morning to seek a second term in office.

“The job of a county commissioner isn’t just about roads and bridges any more. It’s about growing our community responsibly. It’s about jobs,” Thellman said in a news release. “It’s about human services and safety. It’s about public amenities. Being a county commissioner these days is really about building quality of life.”

Thellman is a Democrat who lives northeast of Lawrence, represents the county’s 2nd District, which includes North Lawrence, part of east and southeast Lawrence, Eudora, Baldwin City and most of eastern Douglas County. She is a Presbyterian minister and a former nurse, and her family operates a hay and vegetable production farm in Grant Township.

Thellman, a Lawrence High School and Kansas University graduate, was elected to the commission in 2008 when she defeated Republican David Brown. In her re-election announcement Thellman touted her four years of experience on the commission.

“I’ve done my best to govern by the principles on which I based my first campaign — responsible use of taxpayer dollars; open, honest and accessible government; a balanced approach to growth and environmental stewardship; and compassionate, comprehensive social services,” she said. “These are key elements to build a healthy and resilient community.”

Thellman is the fourth county official ahead of next Friday’s deadline to file for re-election after Sheriff Ken McGovern, a Lawrence Republican; Register of Deeds Kay Pesnell, a rural Eudora Democrat; and Commissioner Jim Flory, a Republican who represents the 3rd District of the commission, mostly the western half of the county.

If needed, a primary election for county offices is Aug. 7. The general election is Nov. 6.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

Curious, I did some on line research on this and found out that it is a very complex job. I am impressed that she does all of this so well, and is also a minister. I am also curious as to how much her beliefs as a minister affect how she does her job. I am of the opinion that our faith, whatever that might be, should be profound enough to inform our entire lives. This need not impinge upon another faith or life.

kansasredlegs 2 years, 7 months ago

"Open, Honest"

On same night and agenda, voted against Berry Plastics annexation, listed reasons, doesn't fit zoning etc., then jammed the homeless shelter into the backyards of those living near the jail when it doesn't meet (city) zoning either. Remember the land was purchased soley for the purpose of removing the restrictive covenant which stopped the shelter. Weinaug was quoted as saying they were purchasing with no plans to build a public works complex. This is not responsible government.

"Responsible Use of Our Dollars"

Have yet to place on agenda a withdrawal of Lawrence Theatre contribution. Money was requested to bridge gap not to lose grant funding. Private money obtained, but call back of Tax Dollars forgotten.

SRS Fiasco - no problem with helping out, but Thelman & gang never once attempted to get the landlord Schwada(?), to reduce rent before agreeing to pay in full. Absolutely poor leadership.

If this is someone who touts her record of fiscal responsibility, then I have serious concerns about her understanding the complexities associated with her position.

irvan moore 2 years, 7 months ago

i agree, read resonible use of taxpayer dollars and had to laugh, she must have forgotten about the homeless shelter and overpaying for the land

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 7 months ago

Why pave the roads since government in your view is so bloated...maybe you would prefer the mud...

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

Okay, so from the sound of the comments after mine, I was so wrong. I want this to serve as an apology for my comment and a huge thank you to everyone who could have pointed out my wrongness and did not. I may be uninformed now but I guarantee you I will be come voting time.

kolisach 2 years, 7 months ago

yeah, I wouldn't take comments on this page so seriously, frankie8. most of these folks just post because they have some ideological axe to grind - truth or not (not saying anything specifically about the comments above - more generally about the accuracy of posts on ljworld articles.)

definitely do your homework before voting, but don't let these people sway your opinion.

snitty 2 years, 7 months ago

Thellman is a great county commissioner. We are extremely lucky to have her.