Archive for Friday, May 25, 2012

100 years ago: City expands ‘clean-up’ ordinance

May 25, 2012

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for May 25, 1912:

• "A new clean-up ordinance for Lawrence is the note which was sounded today when City Attorney J. H. Mitchell agreed to draw up an ordinance to replace the one which has hitherto been in force in the city. The old ordinance has been found to be ineffective in that it merely covers the removal of decayed flesh and vegetable matter. This leaves a wide class of rubbish, such as tin cans, ash heaps, old boxes, and dirty papers which police are powerless to have cleaned up.... In speaking of the ordinance Mrs. George J. Barker hoped that it would be made to cover tin cans which she declared were highly unsanitary. 'No housekeeper washes tin cans before throwing them out and they are a fine breeding place for flies this hot weather,' said Mrs. Barker."
  • "Doubtless many who attend the Play Festival in South Park this afternoon will be surprised at the attractive improvements that have recently been made there. Most noticeable perhaps is the fine cement walk which joins Massachusetts and Kentucky streets, following the line of Hancock street. The trees have been neatly trimmed and the flower beds laid out. The triangular plot at the base of Hancock street is particularly attractive with its bed of gay geraniums and its prim white fence."
  • "A very rare specimen of the deep-sea, man-eating crab has been received at the University. Mr. Walter Coffin of Cleveland, Ohio, secured a crab in Japan and sent it to the museum here. When mounted it measures ten feet across."

Comments

SimiensRainbow 2 years, 7 months ago

The assault on personal liberty and freedom by a tyrannical government as described in the first story should be a lesson for us all. If one wishes to see the origins of Big Brother government one need look no further. Once you stop a man from throwing cans, boxes and ash-heaps into the street, the road to Obamacare was paved.

And then, worse, the second item, with its approving comments about "gay geraniums" . The Gay Agenda made sure it started innocently enough with flowers, but now it's everywhere! Slippery slopes, people!

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

lol. I don't know if we should start saying cheerful instead of gay. I do like the idea about rather there is a cheerful agenda left in this country.

Sarah St. John 2 years, 7 months ago

Between the line about "decayed flesh" and the ten-foot man-eating crab, I was afraid to proofread this before going to sleep! BTW, Mrs. George J. Barker, I always rinse my tin cans (actually they're steel or aluminum now) before putting them in my recycle bin. I agree, flies are gross. Oh, and is Barker Avenue named after you?

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

I had to look up the Japanese Spider crab. Wow, I do love this column. http://www.vincelewis.net/spider.html

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

This was not the most scientific site I could of chosen, but if you read long enough, you find the spider crab is a crab, a really huge crab.