Archive for Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lawrence man charged with child endagerment after driving motorized scooter on Kansas River bridge

May 24, 2012

Douglas County prosecutors Wednesday charged a 26-year-old Lawrence man with aggravated child endangerment after he was accused of driving a motorized cycle on the sidewalk of the Kansas River bridge Tuesday evening with a 6-year-old child standing on the center platform and not wearing a helmet.

“The officer indicated the vehicle was operated in a manner which posed a risk of the child falling from the vehicle near the railing of the bridge,” said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman.

The man, Darin Robert Curtiss, was initially cited and told he could not continue operating the vehicle, but he was later arrested when he was seen driving it again with the child in the same place a short time later on a nearby street. A judge set Curtiss’ bond at $2,500 on Tuesday on the felony charge and scheduled his next hearing for Tuesday. Curtiss was convicted after a plea in 2010 in connection with leaving the scene of an injury accident south of Lawrence on U.S. Highway 59.

Comments

Tammy Copp-Barta 3 years ago

Typo in title ... should be "endangerment" :)

MarcoPogo 3 years ago

Can you imagine having to explain to your fellow inmates that this is what you're serving time for?

Angel Gillaspie 3 years ago

ThePilgrim 3 years ago

Child endangerment - a felony - for giving a kid a ride on a scooter? Now he is in jail and his kid is probably in protective custody (where he is in more danger at the children's home that at his own home). Come on. Most of us would be guilty of this back in the day. I can't count how many times that we rode on someone's motorcycle or scooter, without a helmet.

MarcoPogo 3 years ago

I agree with most of your points, however, they still need to put the rocket back into Broken Arrow Park.

lepchun 3 years ago

ThePilgrim, back then I don't think it was against the law.

lepchun 3 years ago

ThePilgrim, back then I don't think it was against the law.

asixbury 3 years ago

I would say this was a little extreme, except for the fact that he was given a warning before and chose to ignore it. If he would have listened, he wouldn't be in trouble now. Kudos to the police for following through with the warning.

acg 3 years ago

Pilgrim, most of the time I would agree with you. We have become a society of bubble wrapped whiners. In THIS case, though, I would have to say this was justified. Could you imagine if that child had tumbled off that scooter and thru the railing over the bridge? The city would be calling for this man's head on a stick! You can still have good, old fashioned fun with your kids, but the use of some brains would be good. I was raised in the deeeeeeep south, in bayou land. My parents would tell us kids to go down to the swimming hole and play. That swimming hole is filled with mosquitoes, water mocassins and alligators. Would I do that today? No way! :)

Michele Dillon 2 years, 12 months ago

My relative is a neighbor of this man. He has abused animals and been arrested for that as well. He has been arrested a lot. His girlfriend keeps bailing him out. He needs to stay in jail.