Archive for Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bicyclist injured after accident at 23rd and Naismith

May 23, 2012

A bicyclist was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after an accident at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday in the intersection of 23rd Street and Naismith Drive.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said the 41-year-old Lawrence man’s injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

According to a preliminary investigation, the man was riding his bicycle west on the sidewalk south of 23rd Street. When he reached the intersection with Naismith Drive he collided with a northbound pickup truck that was turning right onto 23rd Street. The pickup truck’s driver was a 31-year-old Lawrence woman who was not injured.

McKinley said officers were still conducting interviews and trying to determine who had the right of way in the intersection.

Comments

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

I ride there frequently. A frequent tendency of drivers looking to make a turn on a red light after stopping is for them to look left, looking for a break in traffic so they can proceed. What they don't do is look right to see if bicyclists or pedestrians are crossing their path. What I do is stop, even though I have the green, until I am sure the driver sees me. Sometimes, he/she never does.

Hope the rider's injuries are minor and he recovers quickly. Be safe out there, people.

akuna 2 years, 3 months ago

When I'm riding my bike I always lock eyes with drivers when I cross their path. It is common sense to me. On a bike I am very vulnerable, drivers in cars are not. It is in my best interest to make sure drivers see me and know my intentions.

Eride 2 years, 3 months ago

When I am running I always make sure they are looking me in the eyes, usually I wave at them so they will wave at me and I will know they saw me and that they are aware I am intending to cross. A lot of drivers suck at driving. I may have the right-of-way but it is much simpler and safer to assume they will not follow the law unless I am completely sure,

Paula Kissinger 2 years, 3 months ago

He needs a citation for riding on the sidewalk and on the wrong side of the street no less. Unless the light was red to her, she had the right of way, from the description provided above.

Haiku_Cuckoo 2 years, 3 months ago

Sidewalks are not one-way. To suggest that a westbound person needs to use the north sidewalk is ridiculous.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 3 months ago

What it suggests is Cranial Rectitis.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

Ride on 23rd St.? Is that really what you're suggesting?

Take_a_letter_Maria 2 years, 3 months ago

Unless the light was green to her, she would not have the right of way and she would have illegally entered the cross walk.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

"He needs a citation for riding on the sidewalk"

Why? That's not illegal, except in front of or near a business. And, when you are on a sidewalk, it does not matter which side of the street you are on.

Clipped from: http://lawrenceks.org/share_the_road_bicyclists

'Information for Bicyclists' "Do not ride on sidewalks in Downtown Lawrence: It is unlawful to ride a bicycle on downtown area sidewalks and parking lots (City Ord. 17-702.1)"

Notice that there is no law prohibiting riding a bicycle on the sidewalk, except as noted above.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

A couple of quick notes to Grandma. You have a 50/50 chance of being correct about the color of the light. The drivers was making a right turn onto 23rd. which would be legal if they came to a full stop and then if it were safe to enter the intersection. If the light were red, and there is a bicycle in the crosswalk, then it would not have been sate to enter the intersection. One more point, the sidewalks along 23rd. on the south side, from Naismith to Iowa, the direction of the bicyclist, is one continuous sidewalk. On the east side of 23rd., the sidewalk disappears for several stretches. One either would be forced to ride through a grass yard or ride in a very busy 23rd. St. Based on experience, it's my guess that the driver had a red light, was attempting to enter 23rd. during a break in traffic and never looked right. That bicycle could just as easily been a child in a stroller. That's my guess.

woodlingwho 2 years, 3 months ago

It doesn't matter is the light is red or green. You MUST yield to bike, person, stroller, IN THE CROSSWALK!

jhawk0097 2 years, 3 months ago

The right of way must be yielded in certain situations, but no one has the right of way, ever.

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

It's not illegal in Lawrence to ride bikes on the sidewalks, except on Mass St. Look it up; I did.

Tomato 2 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, like so many have said - it's not illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk. The driver must treat sidewalk traffic as it would pedestrian traffic. A bike on a sidewalk is the same thing as a person walking on a sidewalk - as far as the car is concerned.

If the bicyclist was at a legitimate cross walk and it was appropriate to cross, then the car must yield the right of way.

For example, if you have a green light and want to turn right, that is legal. BUT at the same time, the sidewalk traffic may have a white walking man signal giving them leave to cross the street. In instances where there is no signal, drivers are supposed to yield to pedestrians. As the driver, it is your responsibility to yield the right of way to the sidewalk traffic.

Also - it's really never ok to hit pedestrians because you decided you didn't have to stop for them or didn't bother to look.

woodlingwho 2 years, 3 months ago

sorry, you're wrong. There is no wrong side if you are on a sidewalk, which bikes are allowed on except for down town. Matter of fact, I think the "sidewalk" on 23rd was built originally as a bike trail also. Cars MUST yield to pedestrians and bikes in the cross walk. 'nough said.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 3 months ago

I'd like to see you ride your bike in the street on 23rd. I work on 23rd and its a wonder more people arent hit by cars on this street

irvan moore 2 years, 3 months ago

i thought it was ok to ride on the sidewalk except downtown, i stay on the sidewalks and feel a lot safer

thinkagain 2 years, 3 months ago

Bicyclists should take extra caution or avoid riding with their backs to the rising or setting sun. It is really hard to see them.

Dan Alexander 2 years, 3 months ago

Yeah avoid going home in the evening if you live to the east of your day job, makes sense thanks for the great advice!

Take_a_letter_Maria 2 years, 3 months ago

Since this happened at 12:30 in the afternoon the sun wasn't rising or setting.

beatnik is correct. It is ok to ride on the sidewalk in that area.

tvc 2 years, 3 months ago

At 12:30 p.m. is the sun rising or setting?

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

No. The sun doesn't set. The earth spins.

outtatowntownie 2 years, 3 months ago

12:30 p.m. - Sun was not rising or setting.

I agree with jhawkins, though... bicyclists should always assume that they're not being seen. It's saved my life numerous times.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

I'd say "assume they don't see you" is a pretty good rule of thumb whether you are walking, riding, or driving! Yes, they should have seen you, but you play a huge part in your own safety.

Even if, "it was his fault" is true, that doesn't heal broken bones.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

Here's a really good idea, but it does slow you down when riding a bicycle.

What you can do when you approach an intersection is get off your bicycle, and walk it. Then, all of the laws that apply to pedestrians apply to you.

It is not illegal for a pedestrian to walk his bicycle anywhere he wants.

Tomato 2 years, 3 months ago

All of the laws that apply to pedestrians apply to bicycles in a cross walk. It's not suddenly ok to hit people just because they're on a bike instead of on foot. Being on a bike does not negate a valid crosswalk.

Yes, getting off the bike and crossing on foot is the safest and most appropriate way to cross at a crosswalk.

But whether or not a bicyclist gets off their bike, it's still illegal to hit them in a crosswalk (assuming they had the right to cross - which we don't know, since the truck could be making a right hand turn at either a red or green light).

Jean Robart 2 years, 3 months ago

When I first started bicycle riding back many years, it was the law in Michigan to stop at a corner and ALWAYS walk your bike across the street.

JackMcKee 2 years, 3 months ago

Three wrecks in two days all had one thing in common.

jonas_opines 2 years, 3 months ago

Someone disobeying rules for vehicle traffic?

I know, shocking.

dipweed 2 years, 3 months ago

Vehicles are the ones doing the hurting and maiming, not bicycles. Vehicles are too dangerous. How many people have to die before sensible heads prevail and eliminate motor vehicles to save lives. Jeesh.

Getaroom 2 years, 3 months ago

and don't forget, it's Obamas fault as is everything, according to this poster.

birdsandflowers 2 years, 3 months ago

I do not like bicycles in the street. They are much safer on a sidewalk (and, yeah, yeah, I know -- it's a sideWALK, big deal). Injuries incurred from a bicyclist bumping into a walker are NOT life threatening (at least the chances are likely not to be), but a bicyclist hit by a car can very well be. It just doesn't make sense to me for bicyclists to be in the street even in a bike lane. Why aren't the bike lanes put alongside the sidewalks? The extra concrete used for the bike lane should equal the same price if placed next or near a sidewalk. This is a much safer concept for everyone. Too many bicyclists often block and impede traffic especially those who drive in the middle of the lane -- grrrrr!

parrothead8 2 years, 3 months ago

9000 cars all trying to go the same place, and it's the bicycle that's impeding traffic? If more people walked, rode bikes, carpooled, and took the bus, there wouldn't be any traffic.

birdsandflowers 2 years, 3 months ago

I stand my ground. Common sense tells me a bicycle and a 4,000 pound piece of machinery don't mix well if the drivers of either one makes a mistake. I would prefer riding my bike safely on the sidewalk. I understand there are not always sidewalks available along a street and I think it's great that a lot of people are getting much needed exercise by bicycling, but what is the lure to ride in the street and mix with cars when you could be safe on a sidewalk?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

Sounds to me that you're just incapable of riding a bike in the streets, so you think everyone else ought to share your disability.

birdsandflowers 2 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, you're right. You figured me out -- Low risk taker equals a disability. That makes sense to me. Shheese.

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

Not wanting to ride a bike in a street with fast-moving, heavy traffic would not constitute an irrational fear. It's perfectly logical, in fact.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

If he/she finds riding in the street too dangerous, I'm perfectly happy with her not doing so. But it's a big leap from that to suggesting that no one else should do so.

And I fully expect that unless this person just remains locked in her house 24/7, he/she faces all kinds of equal or greater dangers every day.

birdsandflowers 2 years, 3 months ago

Yup! I'm aware of all the dangers out there and I choose to eliminate them by at least one by not riding a bike in the street.

But, my reason for posting isn't about me riding a bike in the street or any other "phobias" you may think I have. I'm just saying with all the distractions drivers have these days, I simply do not trust that bicyclists are safe in the street AND if they choose to ride a bike on a sidewalk it is their responsibility to be aware of traffic and obey laws when approaching an intersection which should be the exact same as when approaching an intersection if they are in the street anyway.

Why all the gruffness when the main concern is about the safety of people??

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

"Why all the gruffness when the main concern is about the safety of people??"

Because by far the main source of danger is from cars, not from bikes. And you'd have more cars on the streets, and no bikes.

backyardwino 2 years, 3 months ago

It's too bad you don't like bicycles in the street because bicycles have just as much of a right to be there as a car. Get over yourself. Think of it this way; too many cars block and impede bike traffic.

birdsandflowers 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey, that's even a safer idea!! We can eliminate cars and use bikes as our mode of transportation. Then we can all share the road equally! Let's do it!

Jean Robart 2 years, 3 months ago

only if they obey traffic laws.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 3 months ago

If you are riding a bike on the sidewalk and move into the street, you have become a wheeled vehicle with all the responsibilities of a wheeled vehicle. If you are in the crosswalk, you must WALK your bike to cross, otherwise you forfeit your rights as a pedestrian.

boltzmann 2 years, 3 months ago

I do not believe that is correct. As far as I have been able to find, there is no prohibition of riding bicycles in a crosswalk under KS state law or in Lawrence. If you have evidence to the contrary, I would appreciate it.

Tomato 2 years, 3 months ago

Try that out. Ram your car into bicycles in crosswalks and see if a court will agree with you that they "forfeited" their rights as a pedestrian.

Seriously. What rights are you referring to? The right not to be hit by your car?

A crosswalk is a crosswalk. You don't get to hit people with your car because you see them on a bike in a crosswalk. If they have the right to cross, then they have the right to cross.

The law says drivers must make sure that crosswalks are clear before proceeding through them. Not just clear of people on foot. Clear.

You don't get to run over little kids on tricycles, or people on bikes or scooters or wheelchairs or skateboards in crosswalks. It is illegal to hit people in crosswalks as long as they have the right to cross at that moment.

Linda and Bill Houghton 2 years, 3 months ago

On 23rd Street it is best to ride in the street as long as you are riding properly. You will be seen and avoided. You will be going the direction that the traffic is going--where the dirivers on the side streets are looking for traffic. Riding on the sidewalk is very dangerous at the intersections.

I commuted to work on a bicycle for 35 years or so with only one minor accident--somebody right turned in front of me without adequate clearance. I would ride in a straight line a safe distance from the curb and would signal my turns. For several years this was on a major four and six lane street in the St. Louis area (Lindbergh Blvd). There was no other option--parallel streets did not go through. Sidewalks were available part of the way on most of my commutes, but I hate to think how many times I might have been hit, particularly by turning traffic, if I had tried to use the sidewalk.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't agree, don't jump off the bike and walk at every street. just keep your eye out for the unobserving driver.

valgrlku 2 years, 3 months ago

This may not be the case in this situation, but I have almost hit several bicyclists who were riding on the sidewalk and literally came out of nowhere. My line of sight wasn't clear, due to some type of tree/fence/bushes/other sight obstruction blocking MY ability to see farther than a foot (or less) down the sidewalk.

Surely, riders should assume there is a car at the intersection (and many car drivers barely pause at a red light/stop sign, when turning!), but I'm not sure if drivers should assume that people are riding their bikes at breakneck speed on the sidewalk and into/across an intersection.

Riders (and runners) are much faster than walkers, and in my experience, in the time it takes a driver to adequately check right/left to see if the path is clear, a rider/runner barrels out of nowhere - not stopping or even pausing. If riders want to treat the sidewalks as a street, then they should obey the same traffic rules and precautions, I would think.

Eride 2 years, 3 months ago

This is absurd. Most runners are traveling between 5-8 mph (very few on the higher end). Unless your line of sight is a few feet you should easily be able to spot a runner approaching a crosswalk IF you actually properly check both ways. The pedestrian has the right of way in a crosswalk unless the crosswalk is controlled. If you have even an inkling that by the time you are ready to move an approaching pedestrian will be in the crosswalk you are required by LAW to sit there until the pedestrian clears the crosswalk.

Not adequately checking both directions and not properly yielding is a common driver activity. It is dangerous, and it is illegal.

valgrlku 2 years, 3 months ago

You seem to have missed my main point - that line of sight IS often obstructed, so that drivers sitting/approaching at a stop light/sign cannot see down the sidewalk where bicyclists/runners may be approaching. Plus, bicyclists/runners on the sidewalk often do NOT stop/yield to the light/sign and proceed without so much as a pause.

Plus, there are no crosswalks, per se, on side/feeder streets - a car stops either right before the stop sign or the intersection - both of which are often in the path of the sidewalk. If an intersection has a crosswalk that is clearly marked as such, I stop behind it, so as not to block it.

If you aren't familiar with many of our city streets that have obstructed line of sight intersections, then you must only travel the main roads. The main point here is that if bicyclists/runners use the sidewalk, then perhaps they should act more like "pedestrians" than moving vehicles - being overly cautious and pausing at any and all intersections.

Eride 2 years, 3 months ago

Actually those are crosswalks on the side streets, crosswalks aren't just locations that are marked and/or controlled, you have a very basic failing of the understanding of what a crosswalk is...

Further cars are required to stop at controlled intersections prior to reaching the cross walk. Just because seemingly every car driver fails to do-so does not change the fact that this is the law.

repaste 2 years, 3 months ago

The traffic laws for cars don't say stop at every intersection, the do say you must make sure lane is clear before you move right.

repaste 2 years, 3 months ago

Bunch of nuts out here , a few rational. Frequently you hear the driver say " they came out of nowhere." If you start that 4,000lb vehicle you have an obligation to only guide it where you know it is safe, all of us sometimes forget to check the sidewalk. We all need to learn to look, and to stop before the light/sign and look, then proceed, as the law is clear. As posted, it is 50/50 whether the bike had the right of way but in your drivers ed handbook it will say you are responsible regardless. You are the captain of the ship. Some of the posters are the same ones saying bikes belong on the sidewalk. More people die every year because of cars than entire Vietnam war, yet all we hear is faster, more powerful, bigger.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 3 months ago

A cyclist riding on a sidewalk does not have the right of way. Cyclists have no safe alternative on 23rd Street, but they are a problem for motorists. They move faster than pedestrians, and they tend not to use pedestrian rules. (Shouldn't cyclists use pedestrian rules like stopping at intersections before crossing?) There are no ordinances that address this problem. Maybe, the cyclist could be cited for jaywalking.

repaste 2 years, 3 months ago

Wrong Mr. , check your statutes. If the light is green, the sidewalk has the right of way. Think of it as another lane of traffic to your right, like a bike lane. Pedestrians are not required to stop at green lights - except by the law of self preservation.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 3 months ago

There are no statutes for cyclists on a sidewalk, and a cyclist moves very fast compared to a pedestrian. The driver could see no cyclist, and start his turn. Then, it would be hard to correct for the cyclist who is still moving faster than a pedestrian would.

coderob 2 years, 3 months ago

It's counter-intuitive, but cycling on the sidewalk is more dangerous than in the street. It's actually twice as dangerous as cycling in the street. Here's one study that demonstrates just that (originally from a journal article but reposted to a third party site). http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/Accident-Study.pdf

I'm surprised to find that Lawrence actually encourages people to bike on the sidewalk despite this well known problem. Drivers regularly underestimate the speed of bikes on sidewalks, and can't see them coming as well from the sidewalk. Going out on the street seems scary, but drivers can see you much better.

BringBackMark 2 years, 3 months ago

With all of the laws I see broken by cyclists, it surprises me there aren't a lot more accidents. Most common being passing cars on the right side at stop lighs and running through stop signs/red lights. By last count, Douglas County had spent over $2 million on bicycle paths. They could be used for recreational riding but instead most riders are found on the narrow county roads (e.g. 458 to Lone Star).

I have no sympathy for injured riders until I start seeing them obey the rules, be a little smart, and be courteous to the level you expect drivers to be.

texasjustice 2 years, 3 months ago

i couldn,t agree more two thumbs up !!!!!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

"Most common being passing cars on the right side at stop lighs"

They're required to ride in the gutter lane, and you'd probably complain even more loudly if they were out in the main stream of traffic. Where would you have them stop?

"I have no sympathy for injured riders until I start seeing them obey the rules,"

Ah, yes, the Borg Theory of bike riders. They are all of one mind, merely different bodies on different bikes, with one goal in mind-- to aggravate you.

purplesage 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope this fellow recovers fully. That said, it seems a good moment to express concerns about bicyclists. There is one I encounter on the way to work, riding alongside parked vehciles in some situations, but in amongst traffic on 6thstreet in the AM. Very hazardous. And there's an empty sidewalk just feet away. Of course, that's probably illegal. And then, there's the character who was bouncing up and down on his bicycle in the north-bound lane of the one-way, north bound alongside thelibrary (Tennessee, is it?) He seemed oblivious to the traffic stacking up behind. I got around, was tempted lay on the horn but didn't. He caught up, sitting behind be atthe redlight on 6th. Then he rode through thei ntersection, inthe middle of thelane. Last I saw ofhim in the rear view mirror,hewas riding down the center of the lane on the bridge, still testing the shocks,still tying up automotive traffic. Should have arrested him with the scooter guy.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

The most clueless of bike riders tend to be those with obvious mental illnesses, or who otherwise would be incapable of getting a car and driver's license, and competently and safely driving it. Be thankful that they're on a 25-lbs bike going less that 15 mph, rather than driving thousands of pounds of steel at speeds exceeding 30 mph.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 3 months ago

Cyclists have the same road rights as a car. The cyclist is supposed to claim his spot in a lane. I don't think this works very well, but it is the law. The cyclist often has no good choices.

melott 2 years, 3 months ago

I just spent a week in Boulder, Colorado--with a car. It was a pleasure to see so many cyclists who were obeying traffic regs. There were 10 times as many as in Lawrence. I never saw one run a stop sign, traffic light, ride abreast out in traffic, or ride on the sidewalk. Oh, if only in Lawrence....

texasjustice 2 years, 3 months ago

well here it is a bike car collision as we were talking about monday,either a bicycle needs to be treated as a motorvehicle and stay on the streets and obey traffic laws such as signaling,stopping at lights/sins ect.or they need to all use the side walks.I have never recieved a rule book from the police that tells me when you can or can't bicycle on what sidewalks.Your dmv drivers book tells you to that you treat them as a motor vehicle not a pedestrian.whos law is correct the dmv or the city of lawrence?And yes i was on mondays post just talking about this.So all you rightous bike people need to reread that post and get some hints.P.S.thenews just posted kansas as # 34 in the nation as bicycle friendly.Oh yes i do own and ride a bike and i am doing so on thE STREET NOT a sideWALK!!!!!!!!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

It's really not that difficult-- if they are on a sidewalk, and thus using a crosswalk as they move across the street, you treat them as a pedestrian. If they are in the streets, you treat them as a vehicle.

The problem comes when a cyclist moves from riding on the sidewalk to riding in the street. In that case, it's incumbent on the bike rider to ride under the rules of the road, not the sidewalk. Unfortunately, there are lots of bike riders who don't do that. Regardless, if you're driving a car, your first responsibility is to make sure that you're paying attention well enough that you don't run over anyone, even if they aren't obeying the laws to the tee.

texasjustice 2 years, 3 months ago

A point to ponder why do we have bike lanes on the street and not on the sidewalk hummmm?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

I take that you are rarely either a bike rider or a pedestrian.

texasjustice 2 years, 3 months ago

i do bike ride on the bike path in south lawrence and have had to make some spectacular moves walking on a sidewalk [jumping into the grass ] as to not get ran over by a bicyclist on the sidewalk

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

There are certainly jerks everywhere, even on bikes.

Bike riders should be courteous of pedestrians on dual purpose trails. I certainly try to be-- I announce my presence as I approach them (Rider on the left!!) and slow down/stop as necessary.

But pedestrians have a responsibility to be courteous, as well. Especially if they are blasting their iPod, they need to keep to the right of the path, and occasionally look around for bikes and runners coming from behind. Same goes for those walking their dogs, who should keep them on a short leash, especially if they are prone to unpredictable behavior, or are territorially possessive. And if you want to have a conversation, step off the path onto the grass.

texasjustice 2 years, 3 months ago

they need you to give a course on how it should be done ,you are one of the few who sound like they understand the rules of the road !!!!!!

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

It drives me crazy when people let their dogs off their leash on these bike/walk paths. My dog loves people, but not other dogs and it always ends up in a fight. I am being a responsible pet owner, with my dog on a short leash. I have even stepped off the trail to let someone else with a dog pass. Then there are the people who allow their dogs to approach yours, even when it is obvious (or should be considering I'm not even on the trail anymore) that I do not want their attention. Have some respect for other people's personal space!

Carol Bowen 2 years, 3 months ago

Pedestrians should not be sharing a sidewalk with cyclists. It's not fun watching for cyclists coming from behind. The sidewalks are not wide enough. Walking as a mode of transportation is not the same as cycling or running for recreation.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 3 months ago

P.S. The city should really quit ignoring this issue. I wonder what recommendations the Bicycle Advisory Committe has.

mansondahmer 2 years, 3 months ago

I witnessed the whole thing....the guy on the bike had a green the girl in the truck never bothered looking right while turning she just saw an opening in traffic and gunned it to make here right thats when it sounded like two cars collided and all I saw was the poor guy flipping over the hood backwards and landing flat on his head.....I still hope he's going to be ok havent heard any updated yet....my 2 children witnessed it as well and I have the feeling they will never forget it.....neither will I