Archive for Monday, May 21, 2012

Basehor man dies in motorcycle wreck near Linwood

May 21, 2012

A Basehor man died Saturday in a motorcycle accident northwest of Linwood.

Colby S. Folsom, 33, of Basehor was driving south on 206th Street north of Cantrell Road just before 2 p.m. Saturday when his 1986 Kawasaki motorcycle went off the road and hit the edge of a driveway, according to a Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Office report. He was taken by Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Services to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Folsom was not wearing a helmet, according to the report. An investigation into the accident is ongoing.

Comments

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 3 months ago

Wear a damn helmet people- and not just a brain bucket but a full faced helmet!

You're riding a motor vehicle not modeling in a fashion show.

My condolences to the family. I wish your loved one made a smarter choice so that he would still be with you today.

kawrivercrow 2 years, 3 months ago

A common statement by trauma surgeons is that a helmet often only makes the difference between a fatal head injury and a permanently disabling head injury. Not the best tradeoff in my opinion.

DRsmith 2 years, 3 months ago

I call BS. How many trauma surgeons have you known to say that? You might also want to talk to some people in physics etc...

kawrivercrow 2 years, 3 months ago

How many? Probably 8 or 10 out of dozens and dozens. I was a trauma ICU and ER nurse for 2 decades*. I've also had several upper division classes in physics...it had no value more value than a coin toss in calculating the odds of getting an ambulance ride or a hearse ride after a m/c crash.

The laws of physics are merely a subset of the laws of nature. A key law of nature is that brain tissue injures very easily and heals very slowly...if at all...ever.

*before going to grad school and switching to a career in research.

CrystalKU 2 years, 3 months ago

I am also a nurse, and while I haven't had any trauma surgeons tell me the difference between wearing a helmet and not, but I would say that deciding to wear a helmet should be a given. Even if the odds are not great with someone traveling at a high rate of speed, we both know that someone can die in a crash going 5 mph if they hit their head right, causing hemorrhaging or swelling (such as a coup and contrecoup injury). I would rather take the odds that the helmet could absorb some of the shock and decrease the risk for intracranial swelling over the most likely immediate TBI or death any day.

Hoots 2 years, 3 months ago

I did a research paper on this in college and the stats don't back up what you're saying. Helmets often make a huge difference in terms of injury, cost of treatment, and outcome.

kansasredlegs 2 years, 3 months ago

First and foremost condolences to the family, but not you. Just your drivel about how others must live as YOU see it.

Where did it say he died from head trauma? Could have been blunt force trauma to the chest for all you know. Do you wear a helmet in your car? Do you wear a HANS Device too? If not, I would suggest you do as it would do society a great disservice not have you around to tell us all how we should live.

OonlyBonly 2 years, 3 months ago

How about next time starting with the condolences? Depending upon the circumstances a helmet may not have helped here.

optimist 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe or maybe not. Based on the information in the story that determination can't be made. That being said consider that while helmets protect the head they often injure the neck due to their weight. These injuries can result in death or severe paralysis. For this reason individuals should continue to be able to make up their own minds. We do not need a helmet law in Kansas.

gccs14r 2 years, 3 months ago

Says the person who last put on a FF helmet in 1973. They're not made of cement any more. They're lightweight, very strong, and protect your hearing and vision as well as your noggin.

DeckDoctors 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Optimist, I'm sick of the creeping, make that the running Nanny State. All the pointy headed liberals with there 'do gooder' attitudes who know what is best for all of us from cradle to grave...NO THANKS!

DRsmith 2 years, 3 months ago

And they say Lawrence is full of educated people. I beg to differ after reading these comments.

DeckDoctors 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank God we didn't send this Mr. Smith to Washington. You can choose to use LSD or smoke pot as you read Marx, but those instruments have killed more people in the world than all the freedom loving motorcycle riders...

somedude20 2 years, 3 months ago

Pot has killed more people than motorcycles? Could you please provide a factual source backing up that claim?

DeckDoctors 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes, so make a good choice for you and your family, perhaps stay off of a motorcycle and definitely stay off my right to choose how I spend my free time.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 3 months ago

The Hurt Study aka "Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures" says: 1) The use of the safety helmet is the single critical factor in the prevention of reduction of head injury; the safety helmet which complies with FMVSS 218 is a significantly effective injury countermeasure. 2) Safety helmet use caused no attenuation of critical traffic sounds, no limitation of precrash visual field, and no fatigue or loss of attention; no element of accident causation was related to helmet use. 3 ) Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of injury, at all levels of injury severity. 4) There is no liability for neck injury by wearing a safety helmet; helmeted riders had less neck injuries than unhelmeted riders. Only four minor injuries were attributable to helmet use, and in each case the helmet prevented possible critical or fatal head injury.

Those who claim wearing a helmet during a crash will break your neck are wrong.

DRsmith 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't get on here stating facts from actual studies. All the rednecks will shoot you down because they heard from Billy Bob it was more dangerous to wear a helmet.

DeckDoctors 2 years, 3 months ago

Who are you calling a redneck? You are ignorant of who actually owns and rides motorcycles, but in your smug smarter than thou liberal mind see nothing wrong with making broad generalizations of people who don't buy into your groupthink. No thanks buddy, I will keep my critical thinking and not follow you lemmings.

somedude20 2 years, 3 months ago

Broad generalizations like "You can choose to use LSD or smoke pot as you read Marx, but those instruments have killed more people in the world than all the freedom loving motorcycle riders..."

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 3 months ago

People who drive thumbing their nose at the laws should and then are involved in an accident should be denied health coverage from that moment forward. Too much stupidity to be rewarded with a second chance.

DeckDoctors 2 years, 3 months ago

Your point? Tell me how you spend your time and I could point out something your doing that is not healthy... I don't smoke but agree with the right of a person to choose to. I also agree with the right of a person to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. The real issue is we are fast losing our freedom in the US because of encroaching liberal thought.

DeckDoctors 2 years, 3 months ago

KeithmileS05...your ignorance is showing. It is not against the law in Kansas to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Or did you mean you think it is against the law to smoke? The liberals dream...except when it comes to pot.

OonlyBonly 2 years, 3 months ago

First, my condolences to this man's family and close friends. Second, Though not stated I sure as Heck hope nobody forced him off the road.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow, seriously, of course helmets can save your life.

That being said, who am I to tell you to wear it.

somedude20 2 years, 3 months ago

To the cat that said pot kills more people than motorcycles:

"Statistically, death directly from marijuana overdose is extremely rare. The CDC reports that between 1999 and 2007, there were 26 deaths with marijuana as an underlying cause, in the United States. This was out of a counted population of 2,615,523,905"

From 1995-2004: 26,240 people have died in motorcycles just in America http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/motorcycle-accident-statistics.htm

2 years, 3 months ago

My condolences to the family. And what a bunch of moronic posters we have today, Far Right & Far Left comments. Do you have to get your politics into every sad situation.

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

My respects to the deceased, and sorrow for the friends and family. An untimely death is difficult to deal with. Don't be ashamed to seek help if you feel the need. Doctors can't undue the past, but they can help with the future.

This should serve as a reminder to everyone to always make sure you tell your family and friends your feelings for them. Any goodbye can be the last.

Lathrup 2 years, 3 months ago

I feel sorrow for what happened of this fellow. Having been a motercyclist all my life. I have seen this far to many times. Please take advantage of every type of MC oriented safety gear you can to give yourself every edge posible in a very unforgiving environment.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

I am sorry for the person's family and friends.