Archive for Monday, May 21, 2012

Basehor man dies in motorcycle wreck near Linwood

May 21, 2012

A Basehor man died Saturday in a motorcycle accident northwest of Linwood.

Colby S. Folsom, 33, of Basehor was driving south on 206th Street north of Cantrell Road just before 2 p.m. Saturday when his 1986 Kawasaki motorcycle went off the road and hit the edge of a driveway, according to a Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Office report. He was taken by Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Services to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Folsom was not wearing a helmet, according to the report. An investigation into the accident is ongoing.

Comments

pace 1 year, 10 months ago

I am sorry for the person's family and friends.

Lathrup 1 year, 10 months ago

I feel sorrow for what happened of this fellow. Having been a motercyclist all my life. I have seen this far to many times. Please take advantage of every type of MC oriented safety gear you can to give yourself every edge posible in a very unforgiving environment.

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

My respects to the deceased, and sorrow for the friends and family. An untimely death is difficult to deal with. Don't be ashamed to seek help if you feel the need. Doctors can't undue the past, but they can help with the future.

This should serve as a reminder to everyone to always make sure you tell your family and friends your feelings for them. Any goodbye can be the last.

MacHeath 1 year, 10 months ago

It is amazing how folks can come to conclusions with little or no information. I hope no one in the family is reading this drivel.

1 year, 10 months ago

My condolences to the family. And what a bunch of moronic posters we have today, Far Right & Far Left comments. Do you have to get your politics into every sad situation.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

To the cat that said pot kills more people than motorcycles:

"Statistically, death directly from marijuana overdose is extremely rare. The CDC reports that between 1999 and 2007, there were 26 deaths with marijuana as an underlying cause, in the United States. This was out of a counted population of 2,615,523,905"

From 1995-2004: 26,240 people have died in motorcycles just in America http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/motorcycle-accident-statistics.htm

DillonBarnes 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, seriously, of course helmets can save your life.

That being said, who am I to tell you to wear it.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 10 months ago

First, my condolences to this man's family and close friends. Second, Though not stated I sure as Heck hope nobody forced him off the road.

DeckDoctors 1 year, 10 months ago

KeithmileS05...your ignorance is showing. It is not against the law in Kansas to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Or did you mean you think it is against the law to smoke? The liberals dream...except when it comes to pot.

DeckDoctors 1 year, 10 months ago

Your point? Tell me how you spend your time and I could point out something your doing that is not healthy... I don't smoke but agree with the right of a person to choose to. I also agree with the right of a person to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. The real issue is we are fast losing our freedom in the US because of encroaching liberal thought.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 11 months ago

People who drive thumbing their nose at the laws should and then are involved in an accident should be denied health coverage from that moment forward. Too much stupidity to be rewarded with a second chance.

Gotland 1 year, 11 months ago

I saw a guy today on a motor cycle with no helmet and smoking a cigarette.

hipper_than_hip 1 year, 11 months ago

The Hurt Study aka "Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures" says: 1) The use of the safety helmet is the single critical factor in the prevention of reduction of head injury; the safety helmet which complies with FMVSS 218 is a significantly effective injury countermeasure. 2) Safety helmet use caused no attenuation of critical traffic sounds, no limitation of precrash visual field, and no fatigue or loss of attention; no element of accident causation was related to helmet use. 3 ) Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of injury, at all levels of injury severity. 4) There is no liability for neck injury by wearing a safety helmet; helmeted riders had less neck injuries than unhelmeted riders. Only four minor injuries were attributable to helmet use, and in each case the helmet prevented possible critical or fatal head injury.

Those who claim wearing a helmet during a crash will break your neck are wrong.

DeckDoctors 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, so make a good choice for you and your family, perhaps stay off of a motorcycle and definitely stay off my right to choose how I spend my free time.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's see....I have a 'choice' of dying quickly from a traumatic head injury without a helmet or be aware and 'feel' the traumatic injuries while wearing a helmet with the possibility surviving crippled for the rest of my life. hmmmm...

DeckDoctors 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank God we didn't send this Mr. Smith to Washington. You can choose to use LSD or smoke pot as you read Marx, but those instruments have killed more people in the world than all the freedom loving motorcycle riders...

DRsmith 1 year, 11 months ago

And they say Lawrence is full of educated people. I beg to differ after reading these comments.

DeckDoctors 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with Optimist, I'm sick of the creeping, make that the running Nanny State. All the pointy headed liberals with there 'do gooder' attitudes who know what is best for all of us from cradle to grave...NO THANKS!

optimist 1 year, 11 months ago

Maybe or maybe not. Based on the information in the story that determination can't be made. That being said consider that while helmets protect the head they often injure the neck due to their weight. These injuries can result in death or severe paralysis. For this reason individuals should continue to be able to make up their own minds. We do not need a helmet law in Kansas.

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 11 months ago

Wear a damn helmet people- and not just a brain bucket but a full faced helmet!

You're riding a motor vehicle not modeling in a fashion show.

My condolences to the family. I wish your loved one made a smarter choice so that he would still be with you today.