Archive for Friday, May 18, 2012

Groups urge veto of anti-Sharia law bill

Imam Omar Hazim of Topeka speaks Friday against a bill that targets Sharia law. Several Muslim groups have called on Gov. Sam Brownback to veto the legislation.

May 18, 2012

— Muslims gathered at the Statehouse on Friday saying that Kansans have nothing to fear from Sharia law and urged Gov. Sam Brownback to veto a bill that targets the religious principles of Islam.

About 20 Muslims attended a news conference to denounce Senate Bill 79 which would make unenforceable any court decision based on a foreign law or code.

The bill doesn't mention Sharia law, but during debate several legislators have said that was their concern.

“They stone women to death in countries that have Sharia law,” Sen. Susan Wagle, R-Wichita, said during debate last week. “If you vote to not adopt (the bill), it’s a vote against women," she said.

The measure sailed through the House, 120-0, and Senate, 33-3.

But Muslim civil rights groups said the legislation, similar to measures introduced in other states, was discriminatory, unconstitutional and meant to demonize American Muslims.

Riyaz M. Lareef, director of outreach of the Kansas City chapter of the Islamic Circle of North America, said, "Muslims understand that the law of this country is the American Constitution."

Imam Omar Hazim of Topeka said Sharia law wasn't being forced on anyone and followers of Sharia are good Muslims and good citizens.

"This country was founded on freedom of religion," he said.

Brownback has not said whether he will sign the bill into law. "As with all legislation approved by the Kansas Legislature and sent to the governor, he will carefully review and consider the bill," said Brownback's spokeswoman Sherriene Jones-Sontag.

Groups that have called for Brownback to veto the bill include the Council of American-Islamic Relations, the Islamic Circle of North America and the Muslim American Society.

Comments

Richard Payton 2 years, 7 months ago

Sharia law requires you eat with your right hand but clean yourself with your left hand. Forget that I'm American I'll eat with whatever hand I want that's freedom.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 7 months ago

I for one am glad that there is now a state law with wording that says no court decision based on a foreign law or code. From what I have seen from foreign countries their laws are some what antiquated. Besides I would not like to have my head slowly removed by a sharp object.

David Reynolds 2 years, 7 months ago

I do not believe for a second the words of those objecting to this law.

If they really wanted to live under the US Constitution & its supporting laws they would not be concerned about the fact that Sharia or any other "non-US Constitutional" law is legally outlawed from applying here in Kansas, or anywhere in the US.

We should also have a law stating English is the official language in the US & Kansas for all commerce, education and any official or public communication.

Governor Brownback please sign the law.

JayhawksandHerd 2 years, 7 months ago

Also - though I may be mistaken - I believe Kansas declared English it's official state language several years ago.

JayhawksandHerd 2 years, 7 months ago

LOL.

Can I opt out? I think my comment acknowledging an action taken by the state was somehow mistaken for support (also, I'm not sure why my initial comment ended up below the reply).

jjt 2 years, 7 months ago

Small problem.....English is a foreign language, English being the language of England which is a foreign country. Seriously when I moved here I took the view that it is your country and you guys get to make the laws, if I do not like them then I get to go back.

Bladerunner 2 years, 7 months ago

JayhawksandHerd 2 years, 7 months ago

The United States has no official language at the federal level. It's not up to Brownback to make that call.

jonas_opines 2 years, 7 months ago

It must be tough to live in such fear of people that are not like you in some small fashions.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Replace "Sharia" with "Christianity" and I suspect a number of people would be singing quite a different tune here.

John Hamm 2 years, 7 months ago

But there is a distinct between practice of religion and that of law of the land. Too bad some people just don't seem to understand that...

jonas_opines 2 years, 7 months ago

I would wager that All of us understand that. That was the situation as it was before, without this bill existing.

There are lots of religions that have clauses in them in contradiction to US law. Why is it only Sharia being put to the question in this fashion?

(the answer, btw, is election year pandering and fear)

Abdu Omar 2 years, 7 months ago

Muslims simply don't want to be castigated or objects of discrimination. Their religion has been hijacked by terrorists and extremists and Muslims are hurt by their actions. Most Muslims have never heard of or met a terrorist as they are not part of the mainstream, they are hidden in their cloistered enclave and plan their actions in secret and with the devil himself. They are not considered to be Muslim at all as Islam prohibits terrorism or the mass killing of innocents.

Acey 2 years, 7 months ago

Why are you targeting Qureans? Do you mean NORTH Qureans or SOUTH Qureans? In the 1950's we went to war out there. After that war wound down, many Qureans came to America, and already were—or became—Christians.

In this country, we have a LOT of Qureans from South Qurea. From North Qurea, no so much.

When did they change the spelling of their country, which used to be KOREA.

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

Signing this asinine bill into law will simply lead the state into yet another lawsuit.

The Oklahoma law was already overturned as unconstitutional.

Glenn Reed 2 years, 7 months ago

I want to be protected from Sharia Law. I want to be protected from Vatican Law.

If this bill protects us from Sharia Law because it's not from america, then it would protect us from Vatican Law because that's from Rome.

Is my reasoning right?

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

It would also protect you from Common Law since that comes from England.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 7 months ago

These guys and girls fix phony issues instead of fix potholes .

juma 2 years, 7 months ago

Islam and sharia law are one and the same. These mohammedans live by a code called sharia law. It is an outdated and sinister belief and we (the rational world) need to outlaw this behavior. I always have to laugh when mohammedans start talking about peace and how the current wave of islamic terrorism is not islam. Oh yes it is!

hujiko 2 years, 7 months ago

Sharia? Sounds foreign and scary to me. I'll just stick to my evangelical christian beliefs and bomb another abortion clinic.

booyalab 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree that the bill isn't as bad as it's made out, but I don't think that it would be enough. It seems more symbolic to me than anything.

booyalab 2 years, 7 months ago

I am against political Islam and attempts to spread it but this all seems like a sideshow to me. If we get to the point where we need the law, it's probably too late.

FarneyMac 2 years, 7 months ago

The Bible allows stoning women, too, Wagle. Can we please ban that hate book already, too?

rtwngr 2 years, 7 months ago

Sure. After all, Nazi Germany banned books. As a matter of fact, Josef Stalin banned books too. Think about it.

hujiko 2 years, 7 months ago

You're terrible at reading sarcasm, although I bet you wouldn't lose any sleep if the Quran were banned. This is just another effort to eliminate non-christian elements from society and you're going right along with it.

gudpoynt 2 years, 7 months ago

What's the matter with Kansas?

Stupid Kansans.

juma 2 years, 7 months ago

I would just like to say that all the bloggers who have not lived in a moslem country: please shut the up. This includes the Imam Omar; what a joke this guy is. I mean, what does he know about islam; nothing. He is so typical of AA that for some misguided and ignorant reason think islam is all to do about Africa. It is not.

booyalab 2 years, 7 months ago

I've lived in a Muslim country. So everyone has to be quiet and listen to what I say? Sweet!

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 7 months ago

New title for the article: "Kansas Legislature Fiddles While the State Burns"

esteshawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Good grief, what a useless law, unless the purpose is to distract scared people from real issues.