Archive for Thursday, May 17, 2012

Judge sets May 29 deadline for redistricting

May 17, 2012

— Parties in a federal lawsuit filed over the Kansas Legislature's failure to redraw the state's political boundaries have until May 29 to submit their own proposals to the court.

Chief U.S. District Judge Kathryn Vratil set the deadline Thursday. Vratil also scheduled a hearing in the case for the same day, saying it will continue to May 30 if necessary.

The lawsuit was filed earlier this month by Robyn Renee Essex, a Republican precinct committee member from Olathe. The defendant is Secretary of State Kris Kobach, the state's chief elections officer.

An impasse among Senate Republicans has prevented any proposal for redrawing political boundaries from winning legislative approval. Kobach asked Wednesday for the appointment of three federal judges to hear the lawsuit and impose new political boundaries for legislators.

Comments

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

This will mark a huge failure for the legislature! Moderates must stop their attempts to line conservative challengers out of their districts! Take the challenge and let the GOP voters determine who the Republican candidates will be.

somebodynew 2 years, 10 months ago

I know most of your posts are over the top and looking for reaction, so I assume this is another one. If you are really living in the world you just decribed I do Not want any of the drugs you are taking !!!!

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

what world did you think I just described?

somebodynew 2 years, 10 months ago

Well, just the way I have been reading about all of this it is the conservatives who are trying to oust all the moderates and are trying to draw the lines to make it easy for themselves. Heck, they even admit it along with the COC. So, I guess you are reading different articles than I am if you think it is the moderates doing all this.

It is just sad that a political party is going to this length to kick out some of it's own members because the won't blindly following the ultra-wing of their own party.

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

what world did you think I just described?

Shelley Bock 2 years, 10 months ago

This sounds like a note of desperation coming from someone so recently smug and confident that gerrymandering was a cool thing to do when you could give the shaft to the other guy, KsJHk. Personally, let the judges decide and all sides will feel like they've been cheated meaning no one gains an advantage....or are for rule by the minority?

gccs14r 2 years, 10 months ago

Daddy Bush may be a lot of things, but stupid reactionary nutjob isn't one of them. I suspect that many of his judicial appointees are also not stupid reactionary nutjobs. If necessary, I expect the judge to draw a map that doesn't resemble the doodlings of a preschooler.

I take issue with the article's assertion that the problem is in the Senate. It's the House that thinks that either Wyandotte or eastern Douglas county should somehow be attached to Morton county.