Archive for Saturday, May 12, 2012

Inmate at Douglas County Correctional Facility dies during medical emergency

May 12, 2012

An inmate at Douglas County Correctional Facility died during a medical emergency at 10:45 a.m. Saturday.

Corrections staff and in-house Douglas County Sheriff’s Office medical staff performed CPR on the inmate at approximately 9:50 a.m. Then, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical responded and transported the inmate to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Emergency medical workers made further attempts to resuscitate the inmate but were unsuccessful. The inmate was pronounced dead at 10:45 a.m.

In line with Kansas state law, which requires an investigation for all in-custody deaths, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation was notified and will be conducting an investigation. The facility will not release any more information until KBI concludes its investigation.

Comments

akt2 2 years, 7 months ago

Kansas City news reported the person was stabbed. This story make it sound like some kind of health problem.

midwestmom 2 years, 7 months ago

Which one? I couldn't find the story...

midwestmom 2 years, 7 months ago

Hi - I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my post... I was actually trying to find the report (referenced by akt2) that said the inmate was stabbed. Thank you, though!!! :>

jackpot 2 years, 7 months ago

Can't find a stabbing report on channel 5or 9 websites. Channel 41 has no report on it right now. The stories may have been updated by now.

John Hamm 2 years, 7 months ago

But with a large distinction. An inmate's stabbed kind of makes me think the "system" broke down somewhere along the line whereas a "medical emergency" makes me think - slip and fall or heart attack.......

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 7 months ago

When we were dispatched to a "medical emergency" at our local correctional facilities, it was usually "incarceration palpitations" or a diabetic issue. If it was a stabbing or other injury due to trauma, it was dispatched as a "trauma injury". I had the same impression from the article, and surmised that it was a case of "incarceration palpitations" being the real deal.

somebodynew 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, how many times have opinions on a forum such as this been swayed by an anon. poster putting something out they have no idea about?? This is another case to add to the list.

Before all the conspiracy people come out and decide this is just a big cover up, it was just a medical issue and there is no cute wording going on. It will take a little while to find out what happened because those things take time. I hope this person is now resting in peace and I feel for her family and friends.

north420 2 years, 7 months ago

channel 5 news last night said that it was a stabbing. I think Lawrence police department likes to keep things quiet as possible so lawrence can be betrayed as a peacefull beautifull town to live in.

SW1979 2 years, 7 months ago

Trust me when I say whatever news outlet who said this is wrong. That is absolutely not what happened. See below.

jack128 2 years, 7 months ago

LawrenceTownie 2 years, 7 months ago

I heard the news report last night and did not hear the word "stabbed" at all. I heard the inmate was found "by staff" having a medical emergency. Sounded to me like the inmate had either a heart attack, breathing problems, etc. not getting stabbed at all. Sometimes I have trouble hearing words correctly on the TV when I watch movies, news and other shows. I have the ability to back up on my dish network, which I do often, then turn on my captions to see what was said. Wish I had done that last night, and would have if I did not think I heard what the problem was. Maybe tomorrow's newpaper will have an update, since todays news has nothing new.

amrose42683 2 years, 7 months ago

She was not stabbed ... she had a seizure. May she rest in peace.

SW1979 2 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for saying this. Those of us who knew this young lady know the truth. No conspiracy, just a sad story. Rest in peace.

likeitis 2 years, 7 months ago

Her obituary appears in todays Journal-World.

SW1979 2 years, 7 months ago

Now everyone move along and allow this family time to grieve without her death, the news article and subsequent posts being used as entertainment.