Archive for Saturday, May 12, 2012

Inmate at Douglas County Correctional Facility dies during medical emergency

May 12, 2012

An inmate at Douglas County Correctional Facility died during a medical emergency at 10:45 a.m. Saturday.

Corrections staff and in-house Douglas County Sheriff’s Office medical staff performed CPR on the inmate at approximately 9:50 a.m. Then, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical responded and transported the inmate to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Emergency medical workers made further attempts to resuscitate the inmate but were unsuccessful. The inmate was pronounced dead at 10:45 a.m.

In line with Kansas state law, which requires an investigation for all in-custody deaths, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation was notified and will be conducting an investigation. The facility will not release any more information until KBI concludes its investigation.

Comments

SW1979 1 year, 11 months ago

Now everyone move along and allow this family time to grieve without her death, the news article and subsequent posts being used as entertainment.

likeitis 1 year, 11 months ago

Her obituary appears in todays Journal-World.

amrose42683 1 year, 11 months ago

She was not stabbed ... she had a seizure. May she rest in peace.

0day 1 year, 11 months ago

I doubt he was stabbed. Very hard to make a shank in county jail.

LawrenceTownie 1 year, 11 months ago

I heard the news report last night and did not hear the word "stabbed" at all. I heard the inmate was found "by staff" having a medical emergency. Sounded to me like the inmate had either a heart attack, breathing problems, etc. not getting stabbed at all. Sometimes I have trouble hearing words correctly on the TV when I watch movies, news and other shows. I have the ability to back up on my dish network, which I do often, then turn on my captions to see what was said. Wish I had done that last night, and would have if I did not think I heard what the problem was. Maybe tomorrow's newpaper will have an update, since todays news has nothing new.

jack128 1 year, 11 months ago

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 11 months ago

Inmate dies at Douglas County Correctional Facility Posted: May 12, 2012 4:18 PM CDT Updated: May 12, 2012 4:28 PM CDT By Laura McCallister, Multimedia Producer - email LAWRENCE, KS (KCTV) -

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office said an inmate has died at an area correctional facility.

The sheriff's office said about 9:51 a.m., Douglas County Correctional Facility staff responded to an inmate who was experiencing a medical emergency. Facility staff and an in-house sheriff's office medical staff performed CPR.

The inmate was taken to Lawrence memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead about 10:45 a.m.

The incident is being investigated by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, according to normal Kansas State Statute procedures.

Since its opening in September 1999, this is the first in-custody death which has occurred at the Douglas County Correctional Facility. A facility spokesperson said all corrections staff receive regular training in first aid and CPR.

north420 1 year, 11 months ago

channel 5 news last night said that it was a stabbing. I think Lawrence police department likes to keep things quiet as possible so lawrence can be betrayed as a peacefull beautifull town to live in.

somebodynew 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, how many times have opinions on a forum such as this been swayed by an anon. poster putting something out they have no idea about?? This is another case to add to the list.

Before all the conspiracy people come out and decide this is just a big cover up, it was just a medical issue and there is no cute wording going on. It will take a little while to find out what happened because those things take time. I hope this person is now resting in peace and I feel for her family and friends.

Norma Jeane Baker 1 year, 11 months ago

The story doesn't necessarily make it sound like a health problem... it says "medical emergency". Being stabbed, if that's what it was, would qualify as a medical emergency.

midwestmom 1 year, 11 months ago

Which one? I couldn't find the story...

akt2 1 year, 11 months ago

Kansas City news reported the person was stabbed. This story make it sound like some kind of health problem.