Archive for Friday, May 11, 2012

Police issue warning after burglar enters two southwest Lawrence homes as residents sleep inside

May 11, 2012, 10:40 a.m. Updated May 11, 2012, 11:12 a.m.

Lawrence police are warning residents to lock doors and secure windows at night after a man apparently entered two homes early Friday as residents slept inside.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said officers and detectives were still investigating both burglary cases in which the man apparently entered unlocked back doors in southwest Lawrence. The first one was reported at 1:23 a.m. in the 4700 block of Ranch Court, west of Clinton Parkway and Inverness Drive. The second one was reported minutes later about a block and a half to the southwest in the 4800 block of West 25th Street, near 24th Street and Wakarusa Drive.

McKinley said police believe the two crimes are related. They have not yet released a description of the suspect.

In the Ranch Court call, the residents awoke to find a man in the home. The suspect fled, and the residents called police.

On West 25th Street, McKinley said about 1:30 a.m. the residents woke to finding an unidentified man inside the home, and one resident attempted to confront the suspect who ran away. He took a small amount of cash during the second burglary.

The suspect was not captured and remains unidentified. No one was injured in either case.

“With the weather getting nicer, people oftentimes leave doors and windows unsecured for air flow,” McKinley said. “That always presents potential security issues and could allow easy access into someone’s home. We just want to stress that this is a serious situation, and we want to make sure everybody is taking the appropriate safety measures by locking doors and windows and using exterior lighting.”

He said the department’s neighborhood resource officers can perform security surveys. To schedule one, send an email to NRO@lkpd.org or call 830-7408.

Anyone with information about either burglary call is asking to call police dispatchers at 832-7509 or Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 843-TIPS.

Comments

texasjustice 1 year, 11 months ago

for those out there who worry about getting someone shot inside a house,all i can say is keep out of strangers homes and homes where you are not invited to.case and cause settled!

Mollie New Leaf 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't like the term "make my day law". Shooting someone wouldn't make my day :/

That said, I'm glad we have the legal okay to shoot someone if they enter our house without permission. While I wouldn't want to shoot someone, it's certainly preferred to having my family in danger.

Although, if I ever did have to shoot an intruder, at least I'd know that they were absolutely determined to harm my family, because otherwise they wouldn't make it past my dogs. I mean, if you somehow get past my dogs then you've got to be determined.

big_john 1 year, 11 months ago

Always keep a throw away gun like the police carry. The intruder will always have one after he hits the floor. You win.

twobigones 1 year, 11 months ago

CONROY'S MUSIC = A CLOCKWORK ORANGE = NO MORE BAD GUY!!!!

texasjustice 1 year, 11 months ago

within the past two years i have had my garage doors broken into,two trailers stolen with nobody being caught ,and yes this is in the same meighborhood as these incidents happened.the way i look at it don't put yourself in my home uninvited and i will not have to let you meet your maker!!!!!!!

twobigones 1 year, 11 months ago

Make him listen to the music selection at Conroy's Pub until he pleads for mercy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

The other cost of growth = more crime.

Scott Morgan 1 year, 11 months ago

Get a nice hyperactive rat terrier. If his or her barking at the drop of coin doesn't stop a thief, then do what you must do.

thuja 1 year, 11 months ago

Burglar enters your home while you are there. Overpowers you and rounds up your family. Takes over your property and sends you to a "reservation". They reserved the least livable land of those lands they've stolen just for you. Give you diseases, feed you poisons. Rape your property for all its worth. Utterly dehumanize. Now these burglars fight amongst themselves for scraps to buy drugs or whatever. Pitiful.

Quit distracting yourselves from the truth of what happened in this country.
Our ancestors were these very same burglars that you want to shoot with your little guns.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 11 months ago

A word to the wise gun owners - do NOT shoot him in the back. Blows a lot of your defense - no pun intended.

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

Chilling behavior on a burglars part, to enter a home at night with people in it. . I would prefer to shoo the intruder but I would shoot fairly fast if he didn't shoo. Rather than risk my self or my family to a stranger that has broken into my home at night.

James Minor 1 year, 11 months ago

Ah a 12ga deer slug provides a tighter pattern. One in both shoulders and the groin. Then sue the burgular for the cost of shells and emotional anguish.

catfishturkeyhunter 1 year, 11 months ago

I dont have any pistols, all my shooters are for hunting. I got a nice 870 super mag 12 guage with an extra full jelly head choke tube in it that I use for turkey hunting that would set a boogerlar straight. It has about a 10 inch pattern at 20 yards lol.. I always wondered how a human would stand up to it. The turkeys just crumple. I hope I never have to find out, but if I ever had to do battle with a boogerlar I think it would probably do just fine lmao

blue73harley 1 year, 11 months ago

My wife lives at my house so who would possibly want to enter?

Even I try to avoid it.

Now my workshop is a different story...

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

If you visit us, mr burglar, our dogs will will provide a warm welcome. Have the courtesy to close the door as they show you out. Thank you.

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 11 months ago

You people are amazing. You talk all this crap about how bad you are because you have a gun. But how many of you actually have the balls to MURDER someone? Or what happens if the intruder is armed and shoots first?

Ruttrow 1 year, 11 months ago

Shoot him and leave him to rot.

"Buzzards gota eat, same as worms."

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

Doors and windows locked, .45 ACP locked and loaded. Make my day, punk.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 11 months ago

If I hear noise I'll "mess" my skippers, then jump out the window to run down the street "screaming hysterically" while "waving" my arms wildly to-and-fro.

somedude20 1 year, 11 months ago

When you guys are talking about whippin out your guns, you are talking about weapons, right? There is so much bravado in these commets that if Chaz Bono read them, it would grow actual testicles. Yippee ki yay, hardwood cowboys!

sbdad 1 year, 11 months ago

Come on in, I will the one with the gun in my lap holding court. Oh by the way your preliminary hearing rights will be waved.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 1 year, 11 months ago

am i wrong for being glad I live on the second floor? or should i start expecting a man with a ladder to come through my bedroom window?

tswizzle 1 year, 11 months ago

Is it breaking in if the door is unlocked? I say it still is. I live in south west Lawrence and if I caught this guy in my home he would be dead. .45 long colt would get settle it. Would that get me in trouble? It would be ridiculous if the home owner would be charged with a crime.

David Albertson 1 year, 11 months ago

I may lean towards the left on many issues but I feel like someone breaking in to my house is a threat to me and my family. Therefore I should be protected if I choose to shoot and kill the intruder. If we had laws protecting homeowners that kill intruders, there would be far fewer break-ins. The idiot doing this is playing with fire. Fire and hot lead to be exact.

1234 1 year, 11 months ago

I got a 9mm says he wont leave my house.

mdlund0 1 year, 11 months ago

I strongly encourage the person breaking in to houses to consider the consequences of his/her actions. The wrong house with a vigilant gun owner and we'll end up dead thieves, lawyers, trials, sobbing loved ones, etc., etc., etc. Nothing good comes from this. Whatever you're breaking in for, it isn't worth it for anybody.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

I've got a sliding door in my bedroom I like to keep cracked on nice nights. Cut a piece of 2x4 to the right length, enough to keep your door open but not enough from someone to slip through. I imagine with a little creativity, you could do a similar thing with a window.