Archive for Friday, May 11, 2012

Police issue warning after burglar enters two southwest Lawrence homes as residents sleep inside

May 11, 2012, 10:40 a.m. Updated May 11, 2012, 11:12 a.m.

Lawrence police are warning residents to lock doors and secure windows at night after a man apparently entered two homes early Friday as residents slept inside.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said officers and detectives were still investigating both burglary cases in which the man apparently entered unlocked back doors in southwest Lawrence. The first one was reported at 1:23 a.m. in the 4700 block of Ranch Court, west of Clinton Parkway and Inverness Drive. The second one was reported minutes later about a block and a half to the southwest in the 4800 block of West 25th Street, near 24th Street and Wakarusa Drive.

McKinley said police believe the two crimes are related. They have not yet released a description of the suspect.

In the Ranch Court call, the residents awoke to find a man in the home. The suspect fled, and the residents called police.

On West 25th Street, McKinley said about 1:30 a.m. the residents woke to finding an unidentified man inside the home, and one resident attempted to confront the suspect who ran away. He took a small amount of cash during the second burglary.

The suspect was not captured and remains unidentified. No one was injured in either case.

“With the weather getting nicer, people oftentimes leave doors and windows unsecured for air flow,” McKinley said. “That always presents potential security issues and could allow easy access into someone’s home. We just want to stress that this is a serious situation, and we want to make sure everybody is taking the appropriate safety measures by locking doors and windows and using exterior lighting.”

He said the department’s neighborhood resource officers can perform security surveys. To schedule one, send an email to NRO@lkpd.org or call 830-7408.

Anyone with information about either burglary call is asking to call police dispatchers at 832-7509 or Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 843-TIPS.

Comments

DillonBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

I've got a sliding door in my bedroom I like to keep cracked on nice nights. Cut a piece of 2x4 to the right length, enough to keep your door open but not enough from someone to slip through. I imagine with a little creativity, you could do a similar thing with a window.

mdlund0 2 years, 4 months ago

I strongly encourage the person breaking in to houses to consider the consequences of his/her actions. The wrong house with a vigilant gun owner and we'll end up dead thieves, lawyers, trials, sobbing loved ones, etc., etc., etc. Nothing good comes from this. Whatever you're breaking in for, it isn't worth it for anybody.

asixbury 2 years, 4 months ago

I would only shoot once I realize I don't know them, they are uninvited, and I feel threatened. Then my shotgun will leave a nice hole through their middle. That is, if they can get through my 3 dogs first who hate strangers.

booyalab 2 years, 4 months ago

or it could be Santa Claus! come on...

CLARKKENT 2 years, 4 months ago

BETWEEN MY GERMAN SHEPPARD AND MY 9---COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!

Joe Hyde 2 years, 4 months ago

mdlundo0, I couldn't agree more. Let's hope the unknown burglar in question reads this and that he/she, and other burglars and would-be burglars everywhere, consider your words.

Why create hurt? Why risk get hurt?

1234 2 years, 4 months ago

I got a 9mm says he wont leave my house.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 4 months ago

Unlikely. An individual has a right to protect their house from intruders with lethal force.

texburgh 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually, Kansas does. We have an ALEC controlled legislature.

David Albertson 2 years, 4 months ago

I may lean towards the left on many issues but I feel like someone breaking in to my house is a threat to me and my family. Therefore I should be protected if I choose to shoot and kill the intruder. If we had laws protecting homeowners that kill intruders, there would be far fewer break-ins. The idiot doing this is playing with fire. Fire and hot lead to be exact.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks.

I don't want to shoot anyone if I can avoid it and I don't want the blood on my carpet. The cleaning bill is my main concern.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 4 months ago

hardwood floors + a mop = problem solved.

tswizzle 2 years, 4 months ago

Is it breaking in if the door is unlocked? I say it still is. I live in south west Lawrence and if I caught this guy in my home he would be dead. .45 long colt would get settle it. Would that get me in trouble? It would be ridiculous if the home owner would be charged with a crime.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 4 months ago

am i wrong for being glad I live on the second floor? or should i start expecting a man with a ladder to come through my bedroom window?

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

If you're a sorority girl, watch out for the Delta Tau Chi guys.

sbdad 2 years, 4 months ago

Come on in, I will the one with the gun in my lap holding court. Oh by the way your preliminary hearing rights will be waved.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 4 months ago

You sit around the house with your gun in your lap? Be careful.

James Minor 2 years, 4 months ago

I think sbdad is sitting around the house holding is other gun!!

somedude20 2 years, 4 months ago

When you guys are talking about whippin out your guns, you are talking about weapons, right? There is so much bravado in these commets that if Chaz Bono read them, it would grow actual testicles. Yippee ki yay, hardwood cowboys!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 4 months ago

A burglar won't be frightened away by your autographed copy of Snooki Lanson's Greatest Hits.

somedude20 2 years, 4 months ago

or you, unless you have weapon to make up for your lack of gun!

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

Doors and windows locked, .45 ACP locked and loaded. Make my day, punk.

Ruttrow 2 years, 4 months ago

Shoot him and leave him to rot.

"Buzzards gota eat, same as worms."

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

" Or what happens if the intruder is armed and shoots first?"

Double tap

BitterClinger 2 years, 4 months ago

one sight picture, two shots vs controlled pairs = two sight picures two shots.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 4 months ago

Shooting a burglar inside your house in defense of your own life isn't MURDER.

asixbury 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah. When it comes between me and my husband dying or the intruder, the intruder has to go. I will try not to kill him by aiming below the chest, but my shotgun will still probably saw him in half.

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

If you visit us, mr burglar, our dogs will will provide a warm welcome. Have the courtesy to close the door as they show you out. Thank you.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 4 months ago

I dont have any pistols, all my shooters are for hunting. I got a nice 870 super mag 12 guage with an extra full jelly head choke tube in it that I use for turkey hunting that would set a boogerlar straight. It has about a 10 inch pattern at 20 yards lol.. I always wondered how a human would stand up to it. The turkeys just crumple. I hope I never have to find out, but if I ever had to do battle with a boogerlar I think it would probably do just fine lmao

James Minor 2 years, 4 months ago

Ah a 12ga deer slug provides a tighter pattern. One in both shoulders and the groin. Then sue the burgular for the cost of shells and emotional anguish.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

Chilling behavior on a burglars part, to enter a home at night with people in it. . I would prefer to shoo the intruder but I would shoot fairly fast if he didn't shoo. Rather than risk my self or my family to a stranger that has broken into my home at night.

OonlyBonly 2 years, 4 months ago

A word to the wise gun owners - do NOT shoot him in the back. Blows a lot of your defense - no pun intended.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 4 months ago

did tuschie hack your account, thu?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

You are right about that, thuja, and I can't help but wonder why the injustice done to Native Americans is a joke to the people who comment on here. There would appear to be some very angry white men with itchy trigger fingers. I would not be willing to kill someone for stealing as that does not get the death penalty in court. I really don't think a robber is a threat to someone.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 4 months ago

If someone shows up in your living room at 3:00AM clutching a butcher knife and demanding your wallet, you might think differently.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 4 months ago

kawrivercrow 2 years, 4 months ago

OK, frankie, sign over the deed to your property to thuja and that other reparations-nut (Tuschie-whoever). Thanks in advance for showing us all that your smug & self-righteous facade isn't just you blowing smoke up your own anus.

By the way, where did you get the crystal ball that tells you a home-invader is there only to rob you rather than tie you up and make you watch him rape your wife and daughter?

Scott Morgan 2 years, 4 months ago

Get a nice hyperactive rat terrier. If his or her barking at the drop of coin doesn't stop a thief, then do what you must do.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 4 months ago

The other cost of growth = more crime.

gl0ck0wn3r 2 years, 4 months ago

Evidence? Oh right, you never, ever back up anything you say with factual evidence, Captain Cut-and-Paste.

texasjustice 2 years, 4 months ago

within the past two years i have had my garage doors broken into,two trailers stolen with nobody being caught ,and yes this is in the same meighborhood as these incidents happened.the way i look at it don't put yourself in my home uninvited and i will not have to let you meet your maker!!!!!!!

big_john 2 years, 4 months ago

Always keep a throw away gun like the police carry. The intruder will always have one after he hits the floor. You win.

texasjustice 2 years, 4 months ago

for those out there who worry about getting someone shot inside a house,all i can say is keep out of strangers homes and homes where you are not invited to.case and cause settled!