Archive for Thursday, May 10, 2012

Westside Lawrence Farmers’ Market called off

May 10, 2012

Today’s Westside Lawrence Farmers’ Market has been called off until further notice.

The market would have taken place from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the southwest corner of Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive. But the shopping center recently changed hands, and the center is no longer making the space available for the market, said Ellie Garrett of the Lawrence Farmers’ Market.

The downtown Lawrence markets, on Tuesdays and Saturdays, are not affected.

Garrett said the market hoped to find a new Thursday location and announce it soon. She noted that the Cottin’s Hardware Farmers Market, 1832 Mass., would be open as usual from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 2 years, 7 months ago

Famous Daves BBQ bought the center when they moved in. Thanks for supporting our local farmers Famous Dave. I will return the favor by never supporting your business.

UNIKU 2 years, 7 months ago

Aww c'monn! Famous Dave's has the best chemical tasting, fake-sweetened, fast-food BBQ in town!!

consumer1 2 years, 7 months ago

Why I don't like liberals; Just because someone doesn't agree with the granola toten, birkenstock wearin wanna be hippies, they get bashed for their right to express their opinions. This business has a right to allow what they want on their property, but get bashed and terroized by the left for not allowing a certain group to make money on their property. Hypocrites!! Remember freedom of choice you all are always harping on???

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 7 months ago

You're the one telling folks they don't have the right of choice.

Tristan Moody 2 years, 7 months ago

Sure, they are free to not allow the farmers' market, just as everyone else is free to consequently refuse to patronize their business. It's the free market at work.

tomatogrower 2 years, 7 months ago

Conservatives like consumer1 would probably pass laws that would force us to eat boring BBQ. If you eat the good stuff, you might find it too exciting and want to try other wild things, like listening to the blues. And we all know what sinful music that is. Better to eat bland corporate BBQ made by church going white folk. :>)

RogueThrill 2 years, 7 months ago

That's the free market, duh. It's not like the free market is only things that benefit business.

chootspa 2 years, 7 months ago

What does not liking gross chain food have to do with not letting someone express an opinion? Oh, other than the ironic attempt to suppress someone else's.

guppypunkhead 2 years, 7 months ago

Ooooooh people are gonna be mad about this!

kusp8 2 years, 7 months ago

Why didn't the LJWorld name the company?

Gedanken 2 years, 7 months ago

Why would you put it there? They would have to charge an extra 1% sales tax on everything that goes directly to the developers.

somebodynew 2 years, 7 months ago

This probably also ties in to yesterday's article about them wanting to put a new building up on that same lot. Not going to be a lot of room left for parking for all those businesses and certainly no room for something as nice as a Farmer's Market.

JayhawksandHerd 2 years, 7 months ago

Do you own stock in Famous Dave's or something? Sure, they're free to allow or disallow whatever they wish on they're property, but consumers are free to patronize their business, or not, based upon their own personal choice. I fail to see the problem.

crimsonlaugh 2 years, 7 months ago

Pretty sure this is about supporting local. So why don't you move along?

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

first chickens now the farmers market? come on, man

puddleglum 2 years, 7 months ago

I ate there once. more fat in the food than meat. fries were overcooked in old grease. made for nice mini-footballs. sauce wasn't bad, but food was terrible. Looked around and noticed the place was full of fat people, with fat hands and fat fingers eating up large portions....that is all it is: a place for people who don't taste food, but inhale it. first time I ever spent $40 at a restaurant, then went to mcdonalds to actually eat. oh yeah, the quality at McDonald's was far superior.....sad. its a beautiful day outside, i am very beautiful. I will go now and shower those less fortunate with my radiant aura of shimmering attraction and shapeliness.

tomatogrower 2 years, 7 months ago

Please, Farmer's Market, don't bother going to go to the West side. They don't want fresh veggies anyway. It's not fast food. And those who do want fresh veggies aren't scared to come to the east side to buy it. Just come back to the east side. I like going to Cottin's on Thursdays anyway. Maybe expand their farmer's market.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

guess I better go tear out my garden. I never knew I didn't want fresh veggies. Thanks for telling me.

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

The Thursday farmer's market at Cottons is good. I am a little scared of fresh vegetables but the venders have been very gentle.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey "famous" Dave, take a looksee across the street to TaxBurger to get an idea of how this community deals with businesses we don't like. I give you a year.

Noweigh 2 years, 7 months ago

Assuming Famous Dave's did make the decision, how does anyone here know whether the Farmer's Market concept wasn't turned down by other "west side" businesses as well, for business reasons. The parking lot in question is also packed at times with restaurant traffic for the three restaurants in that center....is that fair to those merchants that pay rent in the center? Besides, what entitles a Farmer's Market the use of private parking lots? As posted earlier, there is a ton of "empty" and available parking lot space on the west side to hold a Farmer's Market. As long as the accusing fingers of anonymous postings are out there, how about a list of those businesses that turned this westside Farmers Market down in the first place. The free market may realize this is a popular event and snap it up...or they may believe its a big liability hassle, etc. My guess is there will be a west side Farmers Market soon, somewhere.

chootspa 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't see anyone saying they don't have the right to kick them off. I just see people saying that they won't patronize the business as a consequence. Do you really understand free markets?

mom_of_three 2 years, 7 months ago

I think you are talking about most people and not just liberals

bad_dog 2 years, 7 months ago

While this location appears to be a franchise operation and thus, perhaps operated by a local business owner (I don't know the identity of the franchisee or where he/she resides), comments such as "tasteless", "mediocre", "chemical tasting", etc. constitute opinions, not slander. Slander requires proving someone made false, defamatory statements. Refusing to patronize a business as a result of an action that is perceived by that person as unfavorable is also their right and doesn't inherently make one a whining liberal hippie. FWIW, in my "opinion" you also do your share of whining; both that which you initiate as well as responsive whining about whining.

BTW "slander" is spoken defamation. Libel is the written form.

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

thank god, you aren't referencing me, I don't tolerate or accept everything. I been known to threaten a wife beater, absolutely don't like arugula, dislike the advocation of irresponsible drinking and driving, etc. I do tolerate free speech, advocate the protection of civil rights, and personal responsibility.

chootspa 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't tolerate fools or accept ignorance.

newtongirl 2 years, 7 months ago

The West Side Farmer's Market will crop up there eventually, which is good for the vendors. But 6th and Wakarusa is the new Lawrence, I guess. Everything's moving (or duplicating) out there. We might as well draw a line down Iowa and rename the town east of it to match our North Lawrence. Maybe Old Lawrence? When even our Community Theatre moves up to that corner, there's a big sign of a shift. I'm not bagging on the good folks at the Community Theatre for needing a new building, but still...I wish it could actually have happened in the middle of the community. I'm all for giving Lawrence new and shiny things, but keeping resources in the eastern/downtown side of the city would be nice. Yes, I get that the other two farmer's markets are staying, but it makes me pessimistic that they'll dry up eventually.

tanaumaga 2 years, 7 months ago

I thinks it's already called West Lawrence.

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

I admit I don't personally care if the west side market doesn't happen, I am selfish, I don't drive across town much and while I prefer local fresh, I know where it grows and where it is sold elsewhere. For the sack of the people and venders who like a west side location, I hope they find one. A business sometimes needs to make decisions they think will work best for them. Given that, people should decide where they choose to eat based on the reasoning they want to use. Bless them that at least think about how they spend their money. I have eaten at Daves, didn't like the food much. I do like the ribs at GranDaddy's on 23rd and the sandwiches at Biemers.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 7 months ago

Why don't they use theatge corner lot at 15th/kasold? Large space there.

thefisherman 2 years, 7 months ago

According to the Douglas county property search, the property is currently owned by Condor Investments, Inc. I could not find any relationship between Condor Investments, Inc. and Famous Dave's of America, Inc.

From the Kansas Business Center Business Entity Lookup page, it looks like Condor Investments is a foreign corporation owned in Lincoln, NE. The corporation was formed in Kansas in November 2010, and it's current KS status is Delinquent - they did not file their annual disclosure or pay their fee.

There might be other relationships lurking around, but I didn't dig any deeper.

Tomato 2 years, 7 months ago

They should forget about Thursdays. That farmer's market has been weak since Cottin's started their own farmer's market on Thursdays. Just move to another day so that vendors don't have to choose between the two.

Mondays or Wednesdays seem like better choices, as there is no other competing farmer's market on those days (There's no real point to a Friday evening market when Saturday mornings host the most active market).