Archive for Friday, May 4, 2012

KU student injured in bike crash

May 4, 2012

A 30-year-old Kansas University student was taken to the hospital with a concussion and abrasions after he crashed his bicycle Wednesday afternoon on Sunflower Road near Stauffer-Flint Hall, said Maj. Chris Keary, an assistant KU police chief.

Keary said officers were called about 2:50 p.m. to the area after the accident was reported earlier. Keary said the bicyclist, Thomas Hamm, 30, was headed south down the hill, took his hands of the handlebars briefly and a gust of wind caused the bicycle to wobble and go down. Hamm was not wearing a helmet, and he was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

An LMH spokeswoman said Hamm was treated and released.

Comments

Gandalf 3 years, 4 months ago

This is newsworthy? I twisted my ankle, do I get an interview? :OP

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

careful as I said that about the story of a KU student being pushed and I caught an earful. Peeps like to speculate and one of em even has a rape fantasy

Liberty275 3 years, 4 months ago

OK

Mr Gandalf, did you twist your ankle all the way into Mordor. Follow up question sir, since it is well known that one does not simply walk into Mordor, can one limp therein?

Thank you for your time, Mr Gandalf, and good luck in all your adventures.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 4 months ago

For real. I've had some doozies, nobody from the newspaper asked about me. wth?

Saw a KU kid turn off Daisy Hill and head straight into the bushes on his bicycle. i assumed he was okay after he climbed out, lifted his bike over his head, hurdled back into the bushes and continued his trek on foot. Hardly newsworthy but funny.

Lenette Hamm 3 years, 4 months ago

This is my son you're blasting. He's very lucky (and has been admonished about letting go of handlebars, and not wearing a helmet.) So shut the hell up.

grammaddy 3 years, 4 months ago

Really?? At 30, you "admonished" him on the handlebars and helmet?

MISTERTibbs 3 years, 4 months ago

I bet she wouldn't even give him any pudding either.

Of course that is because he wouldn't eat his meat.

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

maybe he does eat his meat but she does not approve of it

Liberty275 3 years, 4 months ago

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. Those are the rules laddy.

Liberty275 3 years, 4 months ago

LOL. I feel sorry for the poor 30 year old now that I know his parents admonished him. Are you going to ground him too?

Seriously though, best wishes for his quick recovery. Also, don't get mad at people. They are just gossiping. They don't mean any offense.

JackMcKee 3 years, 4 months ago

30 years old and still in school? A gust of wind blew him over? What?

This story doesn't make sense.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

What a bunch of haters, no manners and all troll.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 4 months ago

Pace you comment on most every post at about every time during the day and you call me a troll? Lets chat about hate here for a second. May I mention Brownback?

Those who live in glass houses (Paid for by someone that works) shouldn't throw stones.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes I call people who trash someone because they had a bike accident a troll. Then trashes the mother because she spoke up for her kid. Now go ahead and pretend that anyone who calls you rude or a troll doesn't work. Your usual argument

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 4 months ago

I guess this means we will never be drinking buddies... oh well, don't want to drink with you anyway... You would want me to pay the bill.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

Since i don't drink and you probably really sock it away, you should pay for what you do. It is a bit insane to pretend because I said you guys had no manners, were rude and were acting like trolls to assume I would go drinking with galoots, that I did not work, or would not pay my way. It is probably not insane, just stupid argument. I think you are probably presenting the best argument you have. At least you can type or can get someone to type for you.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

lol now you are running from your own remarks. No, I don't need to drink. You need to exercise simple manners. I think some of you guys should apoligize for trashing someone injured from a bike accident, then dumping on his mom. It really was rude.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

I am suppose to lighten up? I feel fine. If you think trashing an injured guy (guilty?) of having a bicycle accident, then insulting his mom wasn't rude, then state your argument. If your argument is personal remarks that I don't work, pay my bills or I need to drink to laugh at the bullying. I call that argument stupid.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

Cant_have_it_both_ways ". oh well, don't want to drink with you anyway... You would want me to pay the bill." So Uniku, you can't follow a conversation, you blink and think it is all about you and name call when you can't understand. My conversation isn't about you. Well, if you get confused. I was saying several of the posters were rude. I know that must be real hard, omg. I am being very generous here. I went slow. gave the quote I was responding to. Hope it helped out, but it is getting late and I assume you have a bottle to open.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

I assume a response from you without denigration is your version of thank you for clarification and also your version of apologizing.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 4 months ago

If you would notice troll, I was responding to your remark, if I would have been responding to hers, then my comment would have been indented under hers, not in line.

I am not being rude and you need about 1,000 CC's of mind you own freekin business.

pace 3 years, 4 months ago

yeah, caught your great argument. You weren't being rude because you can lie about someone's else's character and behavior. My dog's hind leg is straighter than that. Lie is not the same as argument,. at least in my house. The argument you made to refute my comment "no manners" was stupid argument.

brewmaster 3 years, 4 months ago

Alternate story line: A bicycle rider not wearing a helmet crashed his bike while speeding down hill with no hands on the handlebars on steep Sunflower Drive on east KU campus. The rider was later scolded by his mommy and confined to his room for the weekend with no binky and no pudding for dessert. The youngster on the bike was...not 5, not 10, not 16, not 18, not 21, not 25, but a 30 year old, sorry excuse for an adult man.

00000 3 years, 3 months ago

Bike rider here. My accident shouldn't concern any of you. I didn't realize this report was published, nor did I care that it was. I agree—it's not news-worthy, but, judging by the consistency at which some of you comment, you should also be aware a lot of what the JLW reports isn't news-worthy. No, I shouldn't have let go, even for a second, while going downhill. Yes, my mother is totally awesome and I suspect any of your mothers would defend you should you be the subject of a bunch of douchery—so blow me. Yes, I'm 30 and still in school—we're called non-traditional students (though I graduate on Sunday). Yes, people of all ages get in bike accidents and make mistakes—doesn't make them any less of a person. No, Darwin did not consider bike accidents a factor of natural selection, although if he did I'd probably be considered an amazing specimen of survival. No, I don't live in a basement—I have an apartment with my cat. And, yes, I will gladly get a drink with any of you. I prefer bourbon, but tequila (especially Milagro) is also acceptable.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't drink liquor but I tip my hat to you. Well said. You seem to have a awesome Mom.