Archive for Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Knology upgrade disrupts customer email, maintenance affects internet service

May 2, 2012

A Knology upgrade to internal systems disrupted some @sunflower.com email accounts, said Rod Kutemeier, Knology general manager.

The Monday morning maintenance to the system affected an estimated “5 to 10 percent” of @sunflower.com email users, Kutemeier said. However, no emails were lost during the disruption, and all accounts should be back to normal now, Kutemeier said Wednesday morning.

In addition, other internal router maintenance affected Knology internet connectivity last weekend. Kutemeier said most of the internet connection issues could be solved by customers resetting their routers by unplugging and re-plugging connection cords.

Customers still experiencing problems should call 841-2100 for technical support.

Comments

alcoholbliss 1 year, 11 months ago

And now for only another $10 a month on your bill you can still have your pre recorded ON DEMAND shows from networks like NBC and STILL not have your FAST FORWARD functions work during playback.

What a FRACKING RIP OFF KNOLOGY/WOW IS.

1 year, 11 months ago

I hate the increase of $10 when I already pay them $170 a month and don't have any premium channels, just phone, internet and cable. Talk about over priced. In a down economy you should be lowering the price not raising it. Then on top of it, the outage.

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

For you people that have lost internet service, have you tried unplugging your internet box (not the cable box) and wireless converter for 20 seconds and pluggung them back in? Then after about 2 min it will return to normal on service. I have to do it after every power outage even when it only blinks off.

for you

5thStPhoggers 1 year, 11 months ago

I think it's time to climb up on the roof and put up an old school antenna. The way this "company" is being bought and sold, I can't imagine things getting any better. Service is pretty much trial and error. The last time(s) they came out they replaced the NID(?) but the problems persisted. After 2 or 3 more trips, during which they pretty much checked or replaced everything, they replaced the NID again. Turns out these are not being manufactured anymore and when they replace one, oftentimes it ends up back in the truck and then on somebody else's house. Aging equipment, poor service, bad connections. All this and a rate increase too. What more could we ask for?

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

My email works fine, but It doesn;t keep me logged in.
when I leave and return I have to sign in again. Is there a fix fir that?

midwest_muser 1 year, 11 months ago

A question...why isn't Cox or Suddenlink available?

lionheart72661 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah! then they change our billing cycle and really jacks with us! Really starting to get annoyed with them.

Rick Aldrich 1 year, 11 months ago

KNOLOGY is a JOKE!!!!!! ordered my Direct TV last night. I've had pixelating issues on a daily basis since last July. I've wasted so much of my off time letting installers and supervisors try this and try that with no positive results. but i continue to receive a monthly full amount bill. i just hope for all you knology users that WOW! will take care of you better than the current wantabe cable company.

irvan moore 1 year, 11 months ago

i like it when you call and they say your satisfaction is important to them

cheeseburger 1 year, 11 months ago

C'mon Kutemeier - come out from underneath the desk and face the music . . . or remain under there and be the coward you have proven to be. You are definitely not ready for prime time.

bshm 1 year, 11 months ago

Knology, and Rod Kutemeier, are complete jokes. I got rid of them for TV service a few months ago in favor of DirecTV and couldn't be happier. However, my work uses Knology for email services and as of right now I have lost ALL of my emails from Monday that I never received in the first place due to the "disruption."

observant 1 year, 11 months ago

Been a Sunflower customer since my first computer. When the company I work for first went to broadband, I went to a good local company. Now, as soon as I can get the change done, I will move to someone, anyone that is not Knology or Wow or whoever buys them out next. All I feel is Dolph deliberately set out to screw all Lawrence residents due to fact newspaper business is dying and he lacked skills to adjust.

J 1 year, 11 months ago

In the last couple of weeks I've had webmail problems, email problems, and then yesterday, no internet at all. I believe that a credit to customers would only be fair, considering that the services we were paying for were not available. For those who work from home this is especially frustrating, and Knology will need to make things right if they want to keep their customers.

FlintHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

We've had intermittent trouble accessing some Internet sites and sunflower.com email since Friday night —totally inconsistent in what sites we could access on what day. Sometimes it was any Google-connected site, sometimes other sites — each day brought a new problem. Starting Sunday, we were consistently unable to access sunflower.com or download email to the computer. Strangely, the LJW has been inaccessible since late Saturday night.

At least once a day we've unplugged the modem, etc. etc. etc. I've called Knology tech support at least twice. Last night the tech said "The problem's not on our end." She gave me new information for my email client; we made the changes (both POP and SMTP) and downloaded email. Great!! Uh, no.

This morning, we had no email again and many web sites were inaccessible, incl. LJW.

Called tech support and was lucky to get honest and knowledgeable help. He said Knology started making changes in their network, servers and email on Friday, and it "hasn't gone exactly as planned." He changed the email POP and SMTP info (again) and my DNS IP and router numbers.

Everything works fine now. BUT. Apparently Knology will be making more changes (and almost certainly won't notify customers). I think our Internet is going to be troubled for weeks. I also don't believe the 5-10% figure. From what I've heard around town this week, I think the number of customers affected was much, much higher. I totally agree that the timing of their rate increase notice is hilarious. They need a new PR department, for sure.

cummingshawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I received the flyer announcing the price changes. Huh? The rates are carefully broken down into no category I recognize. Looks like I'll have to call the South Dakota help desk to have them explain my new monthly cable rate, and with my billing cycle change from the 1st to the 20th how the old and new month's rates will be prorated. I may talk seriously to one of the ATT rovers trying to sell me U-verse.

xtronics 1 year, 11 months ago

I singed up with Sunflower because I was told they had better support than ATT's U-verse service. That is no longer true.

There was no notice letter - no email - no phone call warning that they were going to cut our service agreement back.

I've been on the phone from Monday on - I have had a static IP that we pay extra for and they still dropped port 25 (SMPT - what we use for email ) and refused to turn it back on - even temporarily while we sort it out. They finally said the only way they would turn it back on was for us to become a business customer. I had no choice but to agree to their shake-down - in spite of the fact that it doubles the cost.

Sad - but the story didn't stop there - it has been another day and it still isn't on even after agreeing to their shake-down. They have now blocked our email Mon - wed -- so far. I have logged hours and hours on the phone.

IMO Knology has ruined what was once a great company - Sunflower - I suggest that people don't confuse the two.

volleydad 1 year, 11 months ago

Whew - glad I jumped to Uverse. If mentioned price hikes are correct, I'm coming out even better on the deal.

Before installation, I wired all the cable, network and telephone lines to a central 'structured media center', and the actual installation took all of 30 minutes - the gateway/DVR 'walk-through' with the installer took longer. Have had very little to complain about - internet upload/download speeds right on the mark for the plan purchased, better picture and reliability. Very pleased with their service so far.

brunette_beauty07 1 year, 11 months ago

this was no routine maintenance this was a plan in the making for several months unbeknownst to the public. the fact they're trying to cover their asses makes them look less credible everyday. you might wanna ask them how well they treat their employees. all i have to say is..BURN IN HELL KNOLOGY..

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

How do I submit a "Sound Off"? I still can't access the internet!!!!

PennyBrite 1 year, 11 months ago

I haven't received all of my email yet. I know of some my family sent me that I never received. Makes me wonder how many others I didn't receive. ...now I won't ever know.

Someone tell me what are other RELIABLE email options...........I need some choices.

Scut Farkus 1 year, 11 months ago

Why anyone is using Knology's non-encrypted, spam loaded, email service is beyond me. If I could get U-verse I would bail. But I need my internet (as crappy as it is) from Knology.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 11 months ago

My home internet has been out since Monday afternoon. FIX IT!!!! Of course getting it through my apartment complex I have to complain to my office because Knology doesn't know that I exist as an individual user. Definitely getting U-Verse when I move.

cheeseburger 1 year, 11 months ago

Way to go, Kutemeier - wait two days to acknowledge the problem . . . and then fail to apologize for the inconvenience.. And this isn't the first time you've dropped the ball.

Hopefully WOW will have the desire to install competent people in key positions locally . . . that is if there are any customers left after the hefty $9.95 monthly increase!

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 11 months ago

Sorry there Mr. Knology not all e/mails are back, been on the phone every day and night, still not fixed, How you going to compancate your customers. Last even I called and talked to who ever said my ticket was still open, and they were working on it, hethen asked if I was sure I was a customer of your company???, I asked him where he was located and he said South Dakota.-- ATT LOKING BETTER EACH DAY--

Laura Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with jackbinkelman; the new webmail is horrible. Instead of a simple up/down arrow key to move through messages, you have to go back to the inbox and then open the next message! The worst, though, is that links aren't links! You have to cut and paste it into a new tab or window. How incredibly clunky.

Oh, but you can choose from three pretty colors! lolNOT

I've heard both great things and horror stories about AT&T Uverse tech support but I'm getting closer and closer to switching. I just love my sunflower email name too much--the second they do away with that and we have to go to wowway or whatever it is, I'm out of here.

jackbinkelman 1 year, 11 months ago

I do not, at ALL, like the new webmail page.. way too complicated. and all those frames keeps the actual message area smaller than it needs to be.. it took me forever to open a simple attachment yesterday.. awful. I like the old version. I will change internet providers if the price goes up by more than ONE dollar.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 11 months ago

Keep hoping NotASquish- I just dumped Knology internet for AT&T and in the process am saving myself $20/month and increasing my available bandwidth. The AT&T tech who came out even volunteered to help me set up the wireless router for free. I will never again have to give another one of my dollars to Knology. Never before was bankruptcy so deserved.

sad_lawrencian 1 year, 11 months ago

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

I can't access the internet! Help!

NotASquishHead 1 year, 11 months ago

Nice, especially after I just received the flyer yesterday telling us cable is going up $10 and my Internet $3. Great work. Hoping they would at least increase upload speeds.

obamasocks 1 year, 11 months ago

"Internal Router Maintenance"...if its planned maintenance like this, shouldn't they notify customers they might need to restart their routers? As opposed to leaving us all wondering why our internet isn't working?

Good riddance knology.

demsducks 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree. I know for a fact that I haven't received emails and still am not receiving emails on webmail.

Lenette Hamm 1 year, 11 months ago

Sorry, but if "no emails were lost" is accurate, then where are the ones I KNOW I was supposed to receive!!???? I call BS.