Archive for Thursday, March 29, 2012

House advances bill creating prayer room

March 29, 2012

— The Kansas House has given first-round approval to a bill creating a prayer room at the Statehouse.

The House planned to take final action on it Thursday. Approval would send it to the Senate.

During a debate Wednesday, supporters said other states, including Florida and Arizona, and Congress have set aside capitol space for prayer. The bill does not list a location within the Statehouse for the prayer room.

House Majority Leader Rep. Arlen Siegfreid, an Olathe Republican, originally sought to create an all-faiths Chapel. But he and other supporters said the Prayer and Meditation Room would contain no religious symbols, and religious materials would not be kept there permanently.

Also, the room would be set up using private donated funds, and donors' names would be kept confidential.

Comments

Glenn Reed 2 years, 8 months ago

Great idea.

I hope they'll give me a bit of time to ask Poseidon to keep earthquakes away, and ask Dionysus to keep the beer flowing in the event that KU wins their next game.

Linda Endicott 2 years, 8 months ago

With all the "wonderful" legislation they're trying to pass (sarcasm), just in the last few weeks, they'd better start praying, room or not...

But I don't think it will help...I don't think most of them have a prayer of ever being re-elected...

kubsdrvr 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't they have a supply closet they can use?

pace 2 years, 8 months ago

Sick of no money for education. What do they plan, to use the paper formerly for diplomas as a fancy toilet paper for the Koch bros?

Jock Navels 2 years, 8 months ago

then they could hire a little old guy with his knuckles to his forehead, bowing and scrapping, to keep it clean, thus creating a job! anybody can pray anytime, anywhere they want...and be private about it. this is b.s. no prayer room in a state house.

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

This is a great idea! Certainly our legislators ought to be keeping their spiritual side strong as they seek to address the various very serious issues facing Kansas. Our forefathers were strong in their religious faith and moral values so ought our current leaders be dependent upon God and note merely seeking answers from secular humanistic sources.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 8 months ago

Looks like the city fathers on Uranus are at it again, deporting undesirables. There goes the planet.

Corey Keizer 2 years, 8 months ago

Can't tell if trolling or just very stupid.

Jock Navels 2 years, 8 months ago

that our forefathers were strong in your religious faith is not true. our forefathers were products of the Enlightenment, and secular humanists in their philosophy. Religion is not the solution. It is the problem. The 'prayer room' is just more pious show-boating....wearing religion on one's sleeve...one's spirituality should reside in one's heart, not broadcast in public. Sleazy demagogues are afoot, wrapped in a flag and brandishing a cross. beware.

C.D. Henning 2 years, 8 months ago

strong in religious faith? "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." -James Madison
"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." - Thomas Jefferson

Nanna1 2 years, 8 months ago

I would prefer they don't allot "A" room for prayer. MY GOD, YOUR GOD doesn't stay in "A ROOM" he is out and about, moving around in all of us and as he doesn't want us to just celebrate HIS life on Sunday's and in church he is always with me and I would probably not wait to go to this "ROOM" to pray or feel I had to go there to pray. I can do that anywhere I go. And I would expect to have no one come to me and deny my ability to do that as I should not deny anyone else respectfully prayer or non-prayer. I think what we all have forgotten is the ability to have freedom to be respectful of each other. It's not always about me, but the respect it takes to get along or disagree without it being a fight. I can and have the rights to believe what I believe as does someone else, even if those things are different. God is my judge and yours. AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!!!

beatrice 2 years, 8 months ago

Four times a day, facing Mecca. Great idea.

Hooligan_016 2 years, 8 months ago

Right, because Florida and Arizona are such beacons of legislative excellence.

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

Stupid Idea. All pretense & posturing. Ideologues run amok.
"Why, yes, dear constituent, I have personally reflected upon the business of the state in our shiny new prayer room."
We want to model ourselves after Arizona & Florida? Really? Pace is right. It seems more important to these self-absorbed legislators to waste time on this than do any actual work. There are some bone headed folks serving in Topeka.

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't agree with the above comment--I think it is a great idea when our legislators pray and bow the knee to God--he alone can save this nation!

Kyle Chandler 2 years, 8 months ago

I think its a great idea when MY government spends its time GOVERNING and SERVING the people instead of wasting money and WORK time 'praying'.

They can pray and do whatever they want at home.

Tell me why you defend this and how, in this 'reality' having this 'prayer room' actually helps the state of Kansas.?

Corey Keizer 2 years, 8 months ago

Interject previous reply to a kansasjayhawk comment here...

patkindle 2 years, 8 months ago

not sure if missouri or kansas is doing a better job of wasting the states resources

Just in time for spring, Missouri may be getting an official state exercise: the jumping jack.

A measure sponsored by House Democrat Pat Conway, of St. Joseph, has passed the House and is now moving through the Senate to make the jumping jack an official part of the state's identity.

Keith 2 years, 8 months ago

Are you the little red hen? Come out of the coop then.

acg 2 years, 8 months ago

Um, there have been way more of the GOP that have been caught playing for the other side on the DL in the past few years than the Democrats. Shall we start a list of hypocrites that swore they were family candidates only for us to find out they were playing tiddly winks with the pool boy on the side?

somedude20 2 years, 8 months ago

In what room do they fill out lists for Santa? What room is used for virgin sacrifices? Does Big Foot have some room in this castle?

Trust me when I say that if God were real, he would have smite Phelps, Brownback and Santorum a long long time ago (and really most of the people in this state) Plateaubillies!

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 8 months ago

"What room is used for virgin sacrifices?" That would be the committee room where HB 2598 was rubber stamped.

Enlightenment 2 years, 8 months ago

Great, now they have a mini church in the state house. What's next, placing mini churches in public schools and courthouses?

billbodiggens 2 years, 8 months ago

This is so disingenuous. . There is absolutely no such thing as a room in a building maintained by public funds that can be maintained solely with private funds. It absolutely defies the laws of physics and assumes a space/time warp inside a public building. I have said it before and I will say it again, the roof over the room, we recently descovered, takes millions if state funds to preserve. To say it is OK because "private funds" will be used It is one of the silliest word games to ever be played. If the key to designating what type of activity is to take place in a public building is who pays for the room to be set up, then I want an apartment on the third floor. Not in the best of neighborhoods what with the legislature nearby, but what the heck, the hallways are colorful.

billbodiggens 2 years, 8 months ago

If they have an extra room with nothing else using it, they might try to rent it out. We have a budget problem, you know.

Corey Keizer 2 years, 8 months ago

But don't rent it to homosexuals, you know... because of religion.

Mike Ford 2 years, 8 months ago

allow sage bundles and half of the room in the capitol to allow indigenous peoples another place to worship as brownbackistan pledges and apologies to Native Americans while he advocates paving the wetlands. Sweat lodges on the capitol grounds and northern and southern drum groups to occupy the area and look up to the Kaw warrior on top of the capitol. remind hypocrites of how they ignore the separation of church and state and forced christianity upon those whose land they stole......

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I think they're gonna need it. It will acquire the nickname "the panic room".

MarchHare 2 years, 8 months ago

It's an obvious "bait-n-switch" when you consider the recent "Religious Protection Bill" (aka Kansas For Misinformed Biblically-based Discrimination). Just as it was reported in the paper, the idea here is for the Republicans to wave their banners "Look how Christian I am! I'm sooooo religious! Prayer and the Bible are super important to me" Becuase they're already familiar with the mental apptitude of those bandwagonners.

In the same motion, they'll make any intelligent representative in the House or the Senate for that matter "an enemy of God" if they use logic or morality to weight their decisions against either of these bills. What better way to ruin your opponent in the next election than to proclaim "So-and-So hates Jesus" queue dramatic music and black-and-white pictures of their opponent shouting... and of course the news watching, third-grade reading level voters will be spoon-fed their bias'.

Baa.

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

This issue really has to do with protecting the freedom of conscience for those who practice their religion in Kansas. It is about religious liberty and the Constitution of the United States.We all have the freedom to worship God and serve him as the Bible commands and as the Holy Spirit leads. Christianity is the greatest force for freedom the world has every know it is amazing when liberals turn that freedom upon it's head!

Corey Keizer 2 years, 8 months ago

Still can't tell if trolling or just very stupid.