Archive for Thursday, March 29, 2012

House advances bill creating prayer room

March 29, 2012

— The Kansas House has given first-round approval to a bill creating a prayer room at the Statehouse.

The House planned to take final action on it Thursday. Approval would send it to the Senate.

During a debate Wednesday, supporters said other states, including Florida and Arizona, and Congress have set aside capitol space for prayer. The bill does not list a location within the Statehouse for the prayer room.

House Majority Leader Rep. Arlen Siegfreid, an Olathe Republican, originally sought to create an all-faiths Chapel. But he and other supporters said the Prayer and Meditation Room would contain no religious symbols, and religious materials would not be kept there permanently.

Also, the room would be set up using private donated funds, and donors' names would be kept confidential.

Comments

kansanjayhawk 2 years ago

This issue really has to do with protecting the freedom of conscience for those who practice their religion in Kansas. It is about religious liberty and the Constitution of the United States.We all have the freedom to worship God and serve him as the Bible commands and as the Holy Spirit leads. Christianity is the greatest force for freedom the world has every know it is amazing when liberals turn that freedom upon it's head!

MarchHare 2 years ago

It's an obvious "bait-n-switch" when you consider the recent "Religious Protection Bill" (aka Kansas For Misinformed Biblically-based Discrimination). Just as it was reported in the paper, the idea here is for the Republicans to wave their banners "Look how Christian I am! I'm sooooo religious! Prayer and the Bible are super important to me" Becuase they're already familiar with the mental apptitude of those bandwagonners.

In the same motion, they'll make any intelligent representative in the House or the Senate for that matter "an enemy of God" if they use logic or morality to weight their decisions against either of these bills. What better way to ruin your opponent in the next election than to proclaim "So-and-So hates Jesus" queue dramatic music and black-and-white pictures of their opponent shouting... and of course the news watching, third-grade reading level voters will be spoon-fed their bias'.

Baa.

observant 2 years ago

Is that where they will go to pray to Koch brothers and Fox for guidance and directions as to what to do next?

Cait McKnelly 2 years ago

Personally, I think they're gonna need it. It will acquire the nickname "the panic room".

Mike Ford 2 years ago

allow sage bundles and half of the room in the capitol to allow indigenous peoples another place to worship as brownbackistan pledges and apologies to Native Americans while he advocates paving the wetlands. Sweat lodges on the capitol grounds and northern and southern drum groups to occupy the area and look up to the Kaw warrior on top of the capitol. remind hypocrites of how they ignore the separation of church and state and forced christianity upon those whose land they stole......

billbodiggens 2 years ago

If they have an extra room with nothing else using it, they might try to rent it out. We have a budget problem, you know.

billbodiggens 2 years ago

This is so disingenuous. . There is absolutely no such thing as a room in a building maintained by public funds that can be maintained solely with private funds. It absolutely defies the laws of physics and assumes a space/time warp inside a public building. I have said it before and I will say it again, the roof over the room, we recently descovered, takes millions if state funds to preserve. To say it is OK because "private funds" will be used It is one of the silliest word games to ever be played. If the key to designating what type of activity is to take place in a public building is who pays for the room to be set up, then I want an apartment on the third floor. Not in the best of neighborhoods what with the legislature nearby, but what the heck, the hallways are colorful.

Enlightenment 2 years ago

Great, now they have a mini church in the state house. What's next, placing mini churches in public schools and courthouses?

somedude20 2 years ago

In what room do they fill out lists for Santa? What room is used for virgin sacrifices? Does Big Foot have some room in this castle?

Trust me when I say that if God were real, he would have smite Phelps, Brownback and Santorum a long long time ago (and really most of the people in this state) Plateaubillies!

consumer1 2 years ago

Democrats are too busy trying to decide whether or not they want to come out of the closet or stay in until the sky quits falling. Said the little red hen.

Gandalf 2 years ago

Maybe if the prayer room includes a footbath, Evilsam can pick up some pocket money as a pedicurist.

patkindle 2 years ago

not sure if missouri or kansas is doing a better job of wasting the states resources

Just in time for spring, Missouri may be getting an official state exercise: the jumping jack.

A measure sponsored by House Democrat Pat Conway, of St. Joseph, has passed the House and is now moving through the Senate to make the jumping jack an official part of the state's identity.

kansanjayhawk 2 years ago

Don't agree with the above comment--I think it is a great idea when our legislators pray and bow the knee to God--he alone can save this nation!

bobberboy 2 years ago

I hope browncrack starts using it - he'll need it if he wants to get re-elected !

rockchalker52 2 years ago

Stupid Idea. All pretense & posturing. Ideologues run amok.
"Why, yes, dear constituent, I have personally reflected upon the business of the state in our shiny new prayer room."
We want to model ourselves after Arizona & Florida? Really? Pace is right. It seems more important to these self-absorbed legislators to waste time on this than do any actual work. There are some bone headed folks serving in Topeka.

Hooligan_016 2 years ago

Right, because Florida and Arizona are such beacons of legislative excellence.

none2 2 years ago

Matthew 6: 1-8 1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

============== So where does the need for a public prayer space for legislatures fit in with the teachings of Christ? Are they forbidden to pray in their own private offices? Sounds like they want to toot their own horn about being more religious than others and possibly watching their colleagues for some kind of loyalty. If so and so doesn't show up for a planned prayer gathering, that individual may be Satan's spawn. Or maybe if they don't pray loud enough or long enough or have good posture, then they may be on a journey headed towards the dark side.

beatrice 2 years ago

Four times a day, facing Mecca. Great idea.

Nanna1 2 years ago

I would prefer they don't allot "A" room for prayer. MY GOD, YOUR GOD doesn't stay in "A ROOM" he is out and about, moving around in all of us and as he doesn't want us to just celebrate HIS life on Sunday's and in church he is always with me and I would probably not wait to go to this "ROOM" to pray or feel I had to go there to pray. I can do that anywhere I go. And I would expect to have no one come to me and deny my ability to do that as I should not deny anyone else respectfully prayer or non-prayer. I think what we all have forgotten is the ability to have freedom to be respectful of each other. It's not always about me, but the respect it takes to get along or disagree without it being a fight. I can and have the rights to believe what I believe as does someone else, even if those things are different. God is my judge and yours. AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!!!

Pragmatron 2 years ago

strong in religious faith? "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." -James Madison
"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." - Thomas Jefferson

kansanjayhawk 2 years ago

This is a great idea! Certainly our legislators ought to be keeping their spiritual side strong as they seek to address the various very serious issues facing Kansas. Our forefathers were strong in their religious faith and moral values so ought our current leaders be dependent upon God and note merely seeking answers from secular humanistic sources.

Jock Navels 2 years ago

then they could hire a little old guy with his knuckles to his forehead, bowing and scrapping, to keep it clean, thus creating a job! anybody can pray anytime, anywhere they want...and be private about it. this is b.s. no prayer room in a state house.

pace 2 years ago

Sick of no money for education. What do they plan, to use the paper formerly for diplomas as a fancy toilet paper for the Koch bros?

kubsdrvr 2 years ago

Don't they have a supply closet they can use?

Glenn Reed 2 years ago

Great idea.

I hope they'll give me a bit of time to ask Poseidon to keep earthquakes away, and ask Dionysus to keep the beer flowing in the event that KU wins their next game.

consumer1 2 years ago

Sounds like a very good plan.