Archive for Thursday, March 29, 2012

Of all the luck: Events unfortunately scheduled at same time as KU game

Ashley Falkner, left, an incoming Kansas University freshman from Olathe, and her mother, Julie Falkner, a 1990 KU graduate, eat  on the balcony, and near a Jayhawk flag, Thursday at Embers restaurant, overlooking Bourbon Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans. The two were with a friend and Julie’s husband, Michael, also a 1990 graduate. The Falkner family attended the 2008 championship game in San Antonio, and the parents were students when KU won the championship in 1988.

Ashley Falkner, left, an incoming Kansas University freshman from Olathe, and her mother, Julie Falkner, a 1990 KU graduate, eat on the balcony, and near a Jayhawk flag, Thursday at Embers restaurant, overlooking Bourbon Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans. The two were with a friend and Julie’s husband, Michael, also a 1990 graduate. The Falkner family attended the 2008 championship game in San Antonio, and the parents were students when KU won the championship in 1988.

March 29, 2012

Hilary Morton is as big a Jayhawk fan as they come. But the director of choirs at Free State High School wasn’t too pleased to hear about the approximate 7:49 p.m. start time for Saturday’s game.

That’s because Encore, the high school’s annual variety show put on by juniors and seniors in the choral program, had a show scheduled to start at 7:30 that night.

That means basketball fans around Lawrence who aren’t filling bars and restaurants will likely be hoping to catch some Jeff Withey blocks and Thomas Robinson slam dunks in the comfort of their own homes, come 7:49 p.m. Saturday.

Morton said she had about 100 tickets left for Saturday’s show, despite having brisk sales for Thursday and Friday performances. The show is always scheduled around this time of year, and last year it conflicted with the Elite Eight game against VCU.

People have called and asked her if the performance could be changed. But she tells them tickets have already been sold, and many other groups have demands on the school’s auditorium space.

“I ask people if they can just call (KU coach) Bill Self and see what he can do” about the game time, she said.

At the Lied Center, a concert featuring the Mnozil Brass ensemble is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

“We’re dealing with it as best we can,” said Tim Van Leer, executive director of the Lied Center.

The Austrian ensemble (whose tagline is “Where talent, tomfoolery, tubas, trombones and trumpets converge”), will take the whole thing in stride, Van Leer said.

The ensemble has learned the Kansas University fight song for the occasion. Lied Center staff members will be decked out in Jayhawk gear, and score updates for the game will be given during the show, Van Leer said.

You’ll be on your own, by the way, at the Encore performance at Free State High School. Though Morton in the past has given basketball score updates during the performance, she figured people who would want to know would check their cellphones, and many might have the game stored safely away on their DVRs and might not want to know the score.

Still, Van Leer said he realized that there will be people who have already purchased a (nonrefundable) ticket who will probably choose to stay home and watch the game.

“This does happen from time to time,” he said. “Others have a little more flexibility in being able to reschedule than we do.”

Sometimes, however, accommodations can be made.

The University Theatre moved its 7:30 p.m. curtain for its Saturday showing of the comedy “The Foreigner” to a 2:30 p.m. matinee in the William Inge Theatre in Murphy Hall.

Charla Jenkins, public relations director for the theater, said members of the play’s crew had crafted plans to have the game on during the play in the green room.

No dice, the director said, worried about missed cues. But in the end, the show relented.

“It’s really disheartening for our kids to play to a show of 10 people,” Jenkins said.

They were fortunate, she said, that the theater had an opening at another time. Tickets purchased for Saturday night’s show will be honored at other performances, Jenkins said.

And then, of course, there’s always Monday night, when KU would play if it beat Ohio State on Saturday.

“I don’t want to jinx it,” said Jenkins, whose theater has another show scheduled for Monday night.

But, she said, the theater does happen to have another opening on Thursday.

Comments

pace 2 years ago

Just added my request, for my family to hold my memorial service during March Madness. That way the crowd will be kept to a reasonable number. I never liked crowds.

simplykristib 2 years ago

I have to work.... I work part-time at a Walmart in the greater KC area. I have a KU grad calling me and another one texting me. We KU people all stick together. :)

Elaine Elliott 2 years ago

Encore was amazing, so many talented entertaining kids, and I know the KU game wont disappoint either.

Mollie New Leaf 2 years ago

I think assuming that people are going to watch the game on DVR to find out the outcome is silly. If KU wins the town will erupt in celebration. It'll be obvious!

number3of5 2 years ago

I will be doing anything that does not require getting out of the house on Saturday afternoon and night. At the time when the game starts, I will either be watching a movie on tv or sewing. Just not watching KU play.....

hilary 2 years ago

Hello, I'm Hilary Morton and I was, of course, being sarcastic on the comment about calling Bill Self, and asking him to reschedule. It was snarky, but I was kidding. That doesn't read in print very well, and I apologize.

As far as scheduling, I'm not holding anyone "hostage". If you've never been to Encore or Showtime before, it's hard to imagine how important it is to the students and to their families and friends. There were 3 other options if the families wanted to come to a performance. There are smart phones and DVRs, which most people use, and will use. That's totally up to them. I just don't want to ruin it by announcing the score if people wish to discover the outcome later. As far as low attendance, we're doing great on ticket sales. Sold out the last two nights, and nearly sold out for Saturday (about 870 tickets sold).

Scheduling is nearly impossible at both of the high schools, and it's unfortunate that this is the only window every year for Encore. In my 10 years of directing it, a KU basketball game has conflicted 4 times. Bill Self's own daughter was involved in an Encore production when KU fell in 2009. Her family was at the show the next night to cheer her on. I don't agree that the entire community of Lawrence and KC Metro should shut down for the 3 weeks of the tournament, as we can never predict what's coming. Thankfully, we have a devoted group and following, and I hope we can all be slapping hands on Mass street Saturday night after our show.

Vince Brown 2 years ago

People, companies, organizations should realize that to schedule an event from mid-March through the first week of April in Lawrence or the KC Metro is not the thing to do. Attendance may suffer, people will call in sick or just not show up. In '08 the company I worked for schedule an all-department meeting on the evening of the regional final. Over 50 people were watching one 55" flat screen when the head of maintence calls out, "OK, let's go! Meeting's starting." Nobody moved. It was the final 3 minutes of the game. The meeting couldn't and didn't start til the final buzzer sounded. Check your calendars, people. Realize that you can't compete with Kansas Basketball. Avoid the disappointment.

guppypunkhead 2 years ago

I think she was making a joke about people asking Bill Self to reschedule. Lighten up!

Chad Collins 2 years ago

I understand that sports moments are more important to some than others. However, it sounds like to me that someone has a power trip over the whole situation. Take into consideration the amount of money that's pumped into this city for events like this. Final Four visits for the University are gigantic and don't come around very often. Maybe you should let the students decide instead of holding them and their families hostage. I know the performance is an important event but could easily be rescheduled. Much easier than asking Bill Self to reschedule....sheesh.