Archive for Tuesday, March 27, 2012

City approves policy in effort to make streets more pedestrian-friendly

March 27, 2012

More sidewalks, more bike paths, more ways for people to get across town without cars should be a top-of-mind issue for future city planners, Lawrence city commissioners agreed Tuesday. Commissioners at their weekly meeting unanimously approved a Complete Streets policy that aims to make future city streets more pedestrian-friendly.

The policy calls for future street plans to include several features such as sidewalks, shared-use paths, bicycle lanes, paved shoulders, street trees, additional landscaping, accessible curbs, pedestrian refuge islands and other features.

But the policy is not concrete. The document gives future city officials the ability to exempt projects from the complete streets policy if “feasibility and funding” concerns arise.

Commissioners, though, said they thought the new policy would be particularly helpful when the city begins to rehabilitate older streets.

“I think the reason we haven’t added more of these elements when we retrofit streets is because we didn’t really have a plan or a mantra that spells out what the benefits can be,” said City Commissioner Mike Dever.

Comments

tanaumaga 2 years ago

Quit planting trees directly under the power lines.....and then contracting somebody to cut them down and replant at a later time. Thanks.

sad_lawrencian 2 years ago

It's scary to hear a city leader using the word "mantra".

asixbury 2 years ago

Yea to more pedestrian friendly neighborhoods! I love walking my dogs in them. Now come fix my neighborhood-the lack of sidewalks drives me crazy! I guess I do have a walking/biking trail right behind my house...never mind.

Enlightenment 2 years ago

Although I would love to see more bike paths in Lawrence, I would like more than ever for the city to contract with a concrete firm that knows how to make roadway quality concrete. Since living hear for 15 yrs, I've noticed that nearly every street that has been redone with curb and gutter has experienced concrete disintegration within the first year. Now folks have said that it's due to the freeze/thaw and heaving. If the freeze/thaw was responsible, the concrete would simply crack and crumble, not deteriorate to dust as it does. Just look at any of the concrete along Clinton Pkwy or Wakarusa and you'll notice poor quality concrete.

consumer1 2 years ago

With this kind of taxpayer investment, it is also time for the police to start ticketing those on two wheels who run stop signs, avoid traffic devices. And remove the bikes from the sidewalks.

ddhawkfan 2 years ago

Awesome idea, be nice if the south west part of 23rd & kasold (ex. brushcreek drive) actually had sidewalks at all... all of brushcreek has zero, which is WAY too dangerous seeing as there is a ton of little kids in that neighborhood, also there is access to a walking trail back in that area... but you walk in the street to get to it. Just tossing out the idea.

Also agree with itsalwayssunnerinlarry, the oread neighborhood is TERRIBLE sidewalks and roads in general.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years ago

i would love to see the sidewalks rehabilitated in the oread neighborhood!

somedude20 2 years ago

Make this town more cougar friendly! Shout cougar!

OonlyBonly 2 years ago

@Cheeseburger - them folks forget about those bikes a 20 degrees or a few inches of snow. KS is NOT the place to be "auto free."

cheeseburger 2 years ago

Reasonable consideration of these factors is appropriate, but some people's dreams of living in Lawrence sans motorized transportation is ridiculous, unrealistic, and backwards thinking. Cities that will prosper in the future will consider ALL modes of transportation, not just the ones that feel good.

Orwell 2 years ago

I've had police tell me there's nothing that prohibits parking in designated bike lanes. If this is true are we being serious about non-auto means of travel in Lawrence?

csoul 2 years ago

Yes! Making Lawrence more walkable, more bikeable, move livable, is the best thing we can do to make our city a better place to live. Let's move forward with this!