Archive for Tuesday, March 27, 2012

City approves policy in effort to make streets more pedestrian-friendly

March 27, 2012

More sidewalks, more bike paths, more ways for people to get across town without cars should be a top-of-mind issue for future city planners, Lawrence city commissioners agreed Tuesday. Commissioners at their weekly meeting unanimously approved a Complete Streets policy that aims to make future city streets more pedestrian-friendly.

The policy calls for future street plans to include several features such as sidewalks, shared-use paths, bicycle lanes, paved shoulders, street trees, additional landscaping, accessible curbs, pedestrian refuge islands and other features.

But the policy is not concrete. The document gives future city officials the ability to exempt projects from the complete streets policy if “feasibility and funding” concerns arise.

Commissioners, though, said they thought the new policy would be particularly helpful when the city begins to rehabilitate older streets.

“I think the reason we haven’t added more of these elements when we retrofit streets is because we didn’t really have a plan or a mantra that spells out what the benefits can be,” said City Commissioner Mike Dever.

Comments

Alan Tabula 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes! Making Lawrence more walkable, more bikeable, move livable, is the best thing we can do to make our city a better place to live. Let's move forward with this!

Marilyn Hull 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree, and would add that the city will be freindlier to residents with mobility limitations. Dot Nary, an advocate for people with disabilities, gave very convincing testimony that this policy will help people who use wheelchairs, walkers, and other assistive devices.

Orwell 3 years, 1 month ago

I've had police tell me there's nothing that prohibits parking in designated bike lanes. If this is true are we being serious about non-auto means of travel in Lawrence?

MarcoPogo 3 years, 1 month ago

I guess that it depends on where the bike lane is located. On 9th Street, the lane is far enough out that a car blocking it would be parked too far from the curb. That's a ticket, in theory.

boltzmann 3 years, 1 month ago

This is bit of a strawman. Nothing in the article suggests that Lawrence should auto free, so you you arguing a point that no one is making.

John Hamm 3 years, 1 month ago

@Cheeseburger - them folks forget about those bikes a 20 degrees or a few inches of snow. KS is NOT the place to be "auto free."

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

Make this town more cougar friendly! Shout cougar!

jhawkinsf 3 years, 1 month ago

As in feline or an older female with a younger male?

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

both. after "talking" with the female, feed her to the cougar! win win

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 3 years, 1 month ago

i would love to see the sidewalks rehabilitated in the oread neighborhood!

dwendel 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe, but they should also start ticketing those on four-wheeled vehicles who run stop signs, avoid traffic devices (there are a lot more of them and they're a lot more dangerous to others, you know.) And remove the cars from the bike lanes.

Enlightenment 3 years, 1 month ago

Although I would love to see more bike paths in Lawrence, I would like more than ever for the city to contract with a concrete firm that knows how to make roadway quality concrete. Since living hear for 15 yrs, I've noticed that nearly every street that has been redone with curb and gutter has experienced concrete disintegration within the first year. Now folks have said that it's due to the freeze/thaw and heaving. If the freeze/thaw was responsible, the concrete would simply crack and crumble, not deteriorate to dust as it does. Just look at any of the concrete along Clinton Pkwy or Wakarusa and you'll notice poor quality concrete.

asixbury 3 years, 1 month ago

Yea to more pedestrian friendly neighborhoods! I love walking my dogs in them. Now come fix my neighborhood-the lack of sidewalks drives me crazy! I guess I do have a walking/biking trail right behind my house...never mind.

sad_lawrencian 3 years, 1 month ago

It's scary to hear a city leader using the word "mantra".

tanaumaga 3 years, 1 month ago

Quit planting trees directly under the power lines.....and then contracting somebody to cut them down and replant at a later time. Thanks.